Continuing the GAP conversation....

alasknmom

Earning My Ears
Interesting topic!!

I do not have a recipt for my handicapped pass which Im taking to DL.
Mine says I can stand or park in "this" place... *chuckle* and every 4 years I get a new parking pass.
Parking passes in Alaska are too easily given. :( Makes me sick to see how many either able bodies use them OR their children/spouse/friend will use them. :( I get so angry b/c it isnt like I asked to be born w/bad knees. :(

Did someone say I can not use it (a alaska one) in CA? (someone in MN had a problem??) I hope not b/c Im using it if I need to.
I dont plan on needing it in CA (but I will in WA on our return) b/c we're not driving but meeting up w/friends who do live there.

I called my doctor today JUST incase and am getting documentation. Although looking at me I dont think I will have a problem :D
Im missing my radius bones in my arms.... and the ulna is extrememly short... so people would rather give me whatever then asking me about it :D
Funny thing is, it isnt my arms I need the assistance for :D

Rachel in Alaska
Mom to Joey 9
Taking him to Disney for the first time March 23, 2001

At Disneyland and DCA they call it the Special Assistance Pass. You get it at Town Hall, on the left hand side of Town Square. You won't need offficial documentation, an explanation to the CM at Guest Services will do. Be sure to get the pass for your entire length of stay. It will be good at both parks.

As for parking, I am not 100% sure, but I assume that you can show your AK parking pass to the CM at the parking structure and they will direct you to the best parking area for your needs. Since it is a privately-owned lot, the security guards there probably have discretion about this matter, and it will probably not be an issue. There are drop-off areas that your driver can use as well, close to the trams and entrances. :

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

I remember reading that post about someone saying he needed to get a special parking pass when he visited CA. I think it was a city of San Francisco issue. I don't understand it because I was told when we got my dd's pass in MN, that a handicapped parking pass issued in one state was accepted in any other state. That was part of the ADA.
As I understand it, states can make different rules about things like whether a person with a handicapped parking pass can park without paying at a meter or whether they are allowed to park longer than the psoted limit. But they all have to accept the handicapped parking permits issued by other states to allow parking in their handicapped spots. ”

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

When we go to Disneyland we bring my parking pass from Oregon and have never had any problems. Disneyland is just about the only place I use mine. At home we just try to park in the closest parking space and save the up front parking. I feel guilty using it because I can still walk at least for a short time. Don't let them tell you can't get a GAC for Disneyland or DCA either. They are still working the kinks out but they do have them.

Tammy

The Special Assistance Pass at Disneyland has never been difficult for us to get, they are very nice about it there. Much less defensiveness about the SAP at Disneyland than they have about the GAC at WDW. :) You will be fine.

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

Hi Sue, I'm the one who had to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles in San Francisco to get a handicap parking pass that was good for the number of days that I was going to be in San Francisco. From what they told me, this is standard practice in California because of the number of stolen stickers that are sold and used by people who don't actually need them.

I had to show up with my sticker and my drivers license to prove that I was who I said I was. They they faxed the number on my handicap sticker to their law enforcement site to check and make sure that it had not been reported stolen. Only after that did I get a paper sticker that I was to use to be able to park in handicap spaces. They told me that if I just used my Minnesota one, that the car would be towed.

Now, this was just what happened in California, and I have never had a problem using my Minnesota sticker any place else

figaro03.gif

Just for additional information, New York City seems to be another place that does not accept out of state handicap-parking stickers or plates. Last year someone from NJ was ticketed with handicap plates.

DisDuck

I was issued a warning ticket in Florida for using a North Carolina Handicap sticker on a vehicle with Florida tag. I was visiting my parents in Florida and was using there van.

faeflora

That is because you were not using a handicapped tag from the same state as the tag. If you had had your own car with a NC tag there would have been no problem.

Pooh Bear

When we travel to Florida, we always rent a car and use my Minnesota handicap sticker. We visited a busy beach down in Sarasota and my spouse went over and asked the police officer who was parked in the lot if there would be any problem with us using our Minnesota sticker.

The police officer did something with a handheld computer (probably checking the license number of our rental car), and told us that we wouldn't have any problem using our Minnesota sticker to park in handicap parking spots.

Again, just our experience, and it is probably best for everyone to check with the Department of Motor Vehicles in the state which they are visiting(smile).

figaro03.gif

The information that I have been able to find on the internet said that the ADA required all states to accept handicapped permits issued by another state as valid in their state. Supposedly, the only thing they are able to change is things like whether a person with a permit can exceed the posted parking time or whether they have to pay the meter. I asked at the MN Dept of Transportation and was told that was true.
But, people have written on this board that they have not always had that happen, so some states apparently are not doing what the federal gov't says they do. I have tried several times to email the US Department of Transportation to get an answer from a real person, no one has replied. I'll keep trying.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

teri
have you been able to get a GAC at DCA? Don't you just love the abbreviations? We were told I would not be able to get one when I just wanted to use my cane because they didn't issue them and I should just rent a wheelchair or bring my own. I know at disneyland I don't need to worry about getting one. We did see people at DCA with GAC or I don't know what the story is. What I was trying to get across was don't let the CM at Guest relations steer you wrong. They do have them.

Tammy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter