• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Continental from Newark

dinah

Earning My Ears
Just a heads up about plane changes from Newark. On our flights down and back, our plane was switched from a 757 to a 767. When we made our reservation we had been assigned to three seats in the 14th row. The 767 does not have a 14th row (at least not in economy) so when we checked in at the curb we were given seating assignments way back in the plane and not together because my ticket was booked separately from my two children's. The 767's seats are in a two_three_two configuration. We were given three seats in row 18 in the middle. This 767 was a brand new plane with an international crew and video terminals at each one of the seats. We got to choose between watching a couple of movies or playing video games. Fun! and unexpected.

Because of our two different reservations and the worry that we would be separated again, I called Continental a couple of times during the week to see if they had switched planes for our return flight. 24 hours before=no change: we are confirmed and have 3 seats in row 14. I called again around 3pm for our 7:35 flight and found out that we were again switched from a 757 to a 767. The computer had assigned seats and we were not together. The staff at the counter got us reasonably squared away (not in the same row but nearby), however, I don't quite understand why they couldn't have told us about the change in planes during earlier conversations. The 767's were great, though, with lots of leg room. So if staying together or where you sit on the plane is important to you, keep calling right up until the last moment to find out the status of your plane/seating assignments with the hope that what you need will be available.

One minor point (minor because we got home safely and that is the bottom line in traveling, isn't it?) on the negative side. On the flight home, I don't think that this Newark-based domestic crew knew how to operate the video system. We were given *no choice* about what we could watch. Instead, on all screens, and that means everyone's, including the ones overhead in the aisles, they played very explicit music videos. I am not a prude but I thought this was very inappropriate programming for children (or people who are prudish) to be forced to watch. There was no way to turn it off or to turn away from it other than to close your eyes. I was not the only one to feel this way. A group of young women who looked to be in their 20's made a point to complain to a flight attendant who eventually gave them all comment cards to fill out. A 15 minute long commercial followed about Luxury Housing, then a pleasant Canada travelogue, then a 1988 interview with Walter Payton with commentary by OJ Simpson. Yikes! We were truly a captive audience. I felt that instead of making the trip more pleasant, these individual video screens and what was on them made the trip unnecessarily uncomfortable. As we began to make our descent, the video game screen come up and we were able to play before we landed although the flight attendants had said earlier that they weren't set up for the video games. I just think that they didn't know how to operate the system on this new plane. I hope that they figure it our pretty soon.

Happy and safe flying! dinah

Hi dinah, just curious, what time did you fly out of newark? We have an 8:00 AM flight booked on a 757 and i'm hopin maybe we will get bumped up too. Thanks,
Sherrie

Hi, Sherrie, We were on flight 175 at 8am on the morning of the 19th, a Tuesday. Our flight home was on 182 at 7:35pm on Friday night. The departure time of the outbound flight was changed twice in the months leading up to the trip.

We were on time both ways! A first for any summer Florida trip we have ever taken. The 767 was a neat experience; if you end up flying in one, I hope you have some AV nerds in the crew ;). Have fun! dinah

Thanks Dinah!
We actually are booked on flight 175 to Orlando, although we are taking an earlier flight home on a 737. I hope that if we do get moved to a 767 (although i'm not holding my breath, we are flying in September right after Labor Day ) that we are kept together, as i am flying with my 2 year old son who has never been on a plane before. And my DH, who DOES NOT like to fly at all. White knuckle flyer is a mild way of putting it. LOL He has to take a valium to get on the plane. Sitting alone would not be a good idea for the sanity of all on board.

Thanks again Dinah, I apprieciate it. :)
Sherrie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter