Contemporary vs Bay Lake

kgionet

Earning My Ears
Hi All...very first post on the DIS boards. I've just booked 14 nights at the Contemporary in the Tower (lake view) for February 2012. I've stayed at the Contemporary a few times before and obviously like it or I wouldn't be rebooking :o)
Bay Lake Towers is also available for the same dates for a small price difference (to the good) for a Deluxe Studio lake view. Does anyone have experience with both properties? Wondering if it would be wise to take the Bay Lake since we'll be there for 14 nights. The pull out couch is kind of throwing me off I'll admit.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I would stay at blt. You get a small kitchenette which the contemporary doesnt have. The lake view is nice. Balcony is nice way to relax. You get to use the top of the world lounge for drinks and fireworks. If you have kids there is a great community hall for them. Pool is nice and the bar is great. Easy access to the contemporary and nice walk to magic kingdom.

Welcome to the boards!!! We love both the CR and the BLT. :love: The CR is a little more busy and the BLT is more quiet. I will say that my DH has slept on the pull out and thought it was very comfortable (my kids too)! As you already know the beds at the CR are really comfortable. The rooms at the CR are probably going to be a little bit bigger than the Studio too. One thing to mention...some of the lakeviews at the BLT are not that great. Depending on where your room is located, you could have a direct view of another balcony across the courtyard. The lakeview rooms at the CR are full on lakeview (gorgeous). Hope this helps!

I would stay at blt. You get a small kitchenette which the contemporary doesnt have. The lake view is nice. Balcony is nice way to relax. You get to use the top of the world lounge for drinks and fireworks. If you have kids there is a great community hall for them. Pool is nice and the bar is great. Easy access to the contemporary and nice walk to magic kingdom.

I thought the Top of the World Lounge was only for DVC members, and you had to show your membership card to access it? :confused3

Stay at CR! I've stayed at BLT and CR, and loved BLT. But the studios there are smaller than the rooms at CR, smaller than most of the other DVC studios even. The pull out is a full size not a queen size, and there is virtually no walking space around it when it's open. Since you're already in a tower room with a balcony, the only thing you would lose by staying in the CR room would be the microwave and toaster.

Something else to keep in mind is that check-in, restaurants, stores, transportation options and etc are all located at the Contemporary for those staying at Bay Lake Tower. So basically you would be depending on them for all those things. Well since you already have a reservation at the Contemporary for their Tower - Bay Lake View I would recommend that you keep it because you will just be an elevator ride away from everything you need.

My family own DVC at BLT and I must admit the 1 BDR was amazing. If you are comparing a studio to a room I think I would take the room in the tower but if it were a 1BDR I would take that for the kitchen and washer and dryer and extra bathroom. I know that really is not what you asked but it is what I would do.

I would for sure take the 1 bdr over the tower but the price difference was >$1600. I've still got lots of time so will watch to see if they release any promos for the 40% off deluxe like in years past. It always worked out cheaper than free dining historically.

You are right. I should know this. DVC members only and their guests or those who rented points from a DVC member and is staying at BLT.

A standard hotel room is a bit better than the studio because you have more room and two real beds (plus a day bed). The Bay Lake Tower studio is the smallest studio of all the DVC studios. But if there are just two of you, it should work okay. You'd have access to a washer and dryer with your studio, but you would have to pay for laundry at the Contemporary. And the studio would have one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa. And you'd have the kitchenette with the undercounter refrigerator (bigger than what you would have in the CR hotel roomp; plus there is a small freezer section in the studio refrigerator). And you'd have the microwave in your studio, too.

Whether you are in the Contemporary or Bay Lake Tower, you are not that far from the stores, transportation, pools, dining at the CR. You have to take an elevator down and you take the small bridge over to the CR from BLT.

Thanks for the input. So far sticking with CR based on extra room for 4 of us for 14 nights. We'll see if the room only rates make a significant difference when they come out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter