Contemporary room Request for a SOG ressie?

MissMellie

Earning My Ears
Hi guys,
I'm wondering......can I request a Tower room even though I have a SOG ressie for a North Garden Wing room? I was told by SOG that I cannot request a Tower room because all the SOG guests are staying in that one wing....North Garden. If the resort is not full, what differnce would it make if I politely fax and request a Tower room. Has anyone ever done this with a SOG ressie? Thanks for all your help.

P.S. How many days before I arrive should I fax a room request? Where do I get the fax number? Do I call the resort. Thanks.

We're staying from Oct 16 - Oct 24th.

Melanie

SoG rented specific rooms in the North Wing. It is considered a separate entity from the Contempory Resort. The rooms they rented equal the number of original rooms in the SoG resort. When those rooms are full, then SoG is considered full.

So, the answer is no. You can not get an upgrade to a Tower Room. SoG does not have access to any Tower rooms unless you want to go through the overflow hotel rooms and pay the overflow (not the SoG) rates.

If I remember right, overflow rates for the Contempory , WL and Poly were about $139/night for the first week in Dec. I got PO-R for $84/night plus tax. I don't think you'll get the Contempory Tower at SoG rates.

Good Luck though!

Originally posted by NotTooGoofy
If I remember right, overflow rates for the Contempory , WL and Poly were about $139/night for the first week in Dec. I got PO-R for $84/night plus tax. I don't think you'll get the Contempory Tower at SoG rates.

Good Luck though!

In my time with SoG this year, I had never seen the Poly for less than $179 (which does not mean Disney has not lowered their rates in the past 5 weeks). The $139 rate would be for a woods view in the WL or a wing, standard view, at the CR. :)

You can get a Tower room through SOG, but it does cost considerably more. I called and asked what it would be to upgrade to the tower and was given a rate of $179 vs. $66 for my N. Garden Wing rm. I opted to request a view of the lake. I've stayed in the tower and love it, but it's not worth the extra for our 1 nt. stay. It wouldn't hurt to fax your request and to ask upon check-in, because you never know what will happen if the tower isn't full. I've gotten a couple of fabulous upgrades on vacations (not Disney).

Originally posted by travelitis
You can get a Tower room through SOG, but it does cost considerably more. I called and asked what it would be to upgrade to the tower and was given a rate of $179 vs. $66 for my N. Garden Wing rm. I opted to request a view of the lake. I've stayed in the tower and love it, but it's not worth the extra for our 1 nt. stay. It wouldn't hurt to fax your request and to ask upon check-in, because you never know what will happen if the tower isn't full. I've gotten a couple of fabulous upgrades on vacations (not Disney).

It's not really an upgrade, though. The prices you are comparing are between a normal SoG rate and an overflow rate (which is always more expensive in comparable resorts). SoG does not have the tower to sell as they do the rooms in the North Wing. The only upgrade that can be offered is for the lake view for $10 more at normal SoG rates.

Now, if you had started out in overflow, the wing is usually between $125-155 (depending on view and time of year). An upgrade to the tower at $180 isn't bad. :)

SoG is quoting overflow rates at resorts, but moving from a garden wing to the tower is an upgrade no matter what the classification of the rates. I assume you're not saying that SoG can't book you in a Tower room at overflow rates.

To get back to the OP, though, if you want a confirmed tower room, it'll cost probably $179 which is what I was quoted. As check-in is handled at the main desk, your best shot for a complimentary upgrade is to ask upon check-in. It's very unlikely you'll get the request, but nothing ventured nothing gained. If availability is there, you ask nicely enough, get the right CM, the planets are alligned just so, and there's pixie dust in the air...who knows! My guess is that if you have a short stay you'll improve your chances, but it's a long shot at best.

I beat the odds with our summer vacation (cruise) scoring an owner's suite (private hot tub on our deck) on a new ship by doing just that --- asking for a seemingly ridiculous upgrade. I'd priced balcony cabins for what we paid for the best suite on the ship. It's attitude, timing, demand, and luck. Because most people think it's impossible, they won't ask. Keep the attitude that it's probably a ridiculous question, but pose it anyway. If you're pleasant the worst that will happen is the CM will probably say they wish they could upgrade your room but aren't allowed.

Originally posted by travelitis
SoG is quoting overflow rates at resorts, but moving from a garden wing to the tower is an upgrade no matter what the classification of the rates. I assume you're not saying that SoG can't book you in a Tower room at overflow rates.

I apologize if I didn't come across clearly (and still may not be). There is no tower upgrade with SoG rates. They do not exist. The only possible upgrade to tower would be through overflow. Since there is no tower possibility through the SoG system, there is no upgrade to a tower room. The only possible upgrade is from a standard view to a lake view for $10 more. The overflow is a completely different computer system from the SoG reservations. Different rules for booking, different screens, different information, etc.

An upgrade is impossible through the SoG system. However, if a guest started out in overflow and wanted to upgrade that would be possible, as long as there was availability. If the guest's original request was for the North Wing, by all means, the guest could certainly request if the tower was available. However, for the resv agents, they would not look at that as an "upgrade"; just a change in booking to overflow and SoG getting a commission off the reservation (SoG receives nothing for all of the guests staying in the North Wing for the duration of the closure).

I'm looking at it from someone who worked with the system. I *think* you're looking at it as someone on vacation paying more money for a better location/view room at the same resort. In that sense, yes, it's an upgrade.

It NEVER hurts to ask for an upgrade to a better view at check in (no matter where you're staying). The worse they can do is tell you no. I've gotten better views, for free, the past 3 times I've been to Vegas. I've received a better view once with Disney; an upgrade to a lagoon view from standard from an overflow reservation at the BC.

Please keep in mind that, for the time SoG is closed, where your room is going to be is in the hands of Disney. I had heard that a number of guests had been upgraded to the tower when the North Wing was sold out (and Disney didn't bother letting SoG know). I've also heard that guests who were guaranteed lake views, unfortunately, did not get them (the difference in what they had paid for the room was refunded). The latter has happened much less than the former. Disney may even allow you to upgrade to the tower for a reduced fee. You never know until you ask THEM when you check in. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter