Contemporary or Poly

CBMom01

DIS Veteran
I'm having a hard time deciding between CR or Poly for September. We have a reservation at CR but have stayed there once - never stayed at Poly. The only thing keeping me from switching is the construction and having no idea how much impact it would have on our experience at Poly.

What would you do?

Did you price them out? There are some good TA deals for Labor day week at Polynesian.

I understand your dilemma. The Poly is amazing!

I never knowingly stay at a resort with construction, but I am unusually bothered by it. many people are fine with construction at the resort. If you book at a resort with construction, you may be dealing with it during your stay. Currently the 'quiet' pool is likely to be undergoing refurbishment during your stay. other areas are also possible to be undergoing some work, but when, where and to what extent are unknown.

Sorry, but i'm not sure that it is possible for anyone to predict to what extent you will be impacted by construction during your trip. If you get a good deal and are willing to take the chance it might work out to be great. If it is a problem after you arrive, you can always try to move resorts. That would be subject to availability and you might lose any discounted rate however.

Good luck!

Last edited:
We have stayed at both and prefer the Poly to Contemporary by tons. We stayed at the Poly last November when much of the resort was walled off, the lobby was walled off, and the pool was closed, but it was still a gorgeous resort. We are going back this November and can't wait.

I was in your same dilemma. But construction stuff would really bug us, so we just didn't want to take the chance. We'll have to do POLY next time. However, the family is super excited about being able to just walk to MK!

We were just at the poly and the construction wasn't t bothersome at all! The resort looks 100 times better than when we visited in November. I wouldn't hesitate to book the poly over cr! The resort is amazing!

disney kepts the construction behind walls - and think the major part will be finished by Sept - besides it is more on the DVC side than the hotel side.
just get a room and not a studio and I think you will be okay?

did not like the CR before BLT - now love BLT - so guess that now includes BLT. love being able to walk back to the BLT/CR when the lines leaving the MK are over an hour or more long.

Last edited:

I have stayed at both and I love the Poly. We are staying there again at the end of August because of the upstanding rates. I am not worried at all about the construction. I vote Poly

Can anyone tell me where you get the great rates, I booked for FD over Labor Day but it is OT that great a deal, and with Cl added, the BC is cheaper than poly, but I would love to find a better deal and switch but even military does not bring it down with 40% off.

We visited wdw November 2014 and the Poly was a mess, I would never have paid to stay there but when we visited this past April and it seemed like the construction had dropped off significantly. I vote Poly, Contemporary although nice it has a boring theme.

We were making this same decision for this trip and went with the Poly. I love that we could walk to MK from Contemporary, but at the Poly we're still close to MK and can walk to the TTC to get to Epcot quickly as well. We like the Poly theme much better, and the pool since we're going in August.

I didn't mind the Poly, but I didn't love it, either. They have such a devoted and vocal following, and it was my first trip, and I figured that thousands of people can't be wrong! Well, they weren't wrong, Poly suits them, and they are right to love it. But, it didn't suit us. As you can tell from my signature, my family is returning to the CR for the second time next February.

I didn't like having to walk around to get food and drink, as if I were staying in a motel. I also didn't care for the 1970s Very Brady Hawaii trip theme of the Poly. IMO, the CR is brighter, more airy and logistically so much more convenient than the Poly if the trip will be MK heavy.

when we stayed at the Poly in Sept 2013 there was construction but it was still quiet and relaxing, a really great stay. it never seemed in the way.

CR was the first resort we stayed at when my kids were little, so it has a special place in my heart. I know I'm in the minority but I would pick CR over Poly. Was never really impressed with the Poly, just like the CR more.

CR was the first resort we stayed at when my kids were little, so it has a special place in my heart. I know I'm in the minority but I would pick CR over Poly. Was never really impressed with the Poly, just like the CR more.
I pick the CR over the Poly any day. It's our favorite resort at WDW.

I feel that way about the Poly...we stayed there when I was a kid and it's always seemed magical to me

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter