Contemporary OR JW Marriott, Grande Lakes

Emme

DIS Veteran
My hubby and I are going alone for our 6th anniversary in June. I got the CR for about $160 (standard) with tax, and I also have booked the brand new JW Marriott for $124 with tax. I have to be honest, I am leaning to the JW, it looks INCREDIBLE!

BUT...I want to know what you all think. We are only going for 4 nights/5days. Any opinions?

Thanks!

Emmy

I guess it really depends on how much time you will spend in/out of parks. The CR is not my favorite WDW resort but it is very convenient to MK and has several fine restaurants with several more only a mono-rail ride away. I have not stayed at JW Grande Lakes but have stayed at JW's in other cities, They are certainly a cut above othe Marriots and the rate you quoted is excellent. If you plan on going to Seaworld and/or Universal you would probably be better off at JW.
You are about as likely to be in the middle of a large convention at either hotel so that is about even.
I think I would choose the JW just for something diferent, but we have stayed numerous times on site at WDW so change is good for us.
Either way, have a great anniversary!

I would take the JW in a heartbeat. New, clean, great service and so nice. The grounds and pools are beautiful. Great work

All the CR has going for it is location

I'd stay in a closet to stay on site. There just is no comparision.;)

CR is one of my fav resorts.

You'll have a wonderful time, which ever you choose.

I can absolutely guarantee that you will love the JW Marriott!The pool complex alone will just make your vacation!

Emme.... how did you get that price for the Marriott?

Anyone have pictures of the JW Marriott?

I went to the Marriott site and looked at rates for government employees (my DH is one) and $110 came up for our nights in June! I am thrilled! Anyone else have an opinion on my choice? I think I am leaning towards the JW!!

emmy

I agree, a trip to Disney is NOT Disney unless you stay on property! :D We love CR with our kids, but for an anniversary I would go with WL or AKL (not that you asked!;) ) . We have got both at incredible prices-around $119. :cool:
Enjoy, whatever you decide! :D

While I think staying on site is great, I would not pass up the chance to stay at the JW.

Disney hotel management needs to spend a few nights at the Ritz/JW complex to see how Deluxe hotels are suppose to be run. (I love staying on site, but for the price you get a lot less service at a Disney hotel).

OK, here's a contrary opinion. I'm a platinum member in the Marriott Rewards program and also eligible for the government. I had such a bad stay at the JW in Orlando that I will never go back.

The grounds are indeed beautiful, and being so new everything is in tip-top condition. It is certainly less convenient than staying right on property, but to some people even that's a bonus to kind of "get away" from the hustle and bustle of Disney each evening.

My bad experience had to do with staff attitudes. There was a problem with my room type that never got resolved even after talking to three different front desk people and four managers over the span of three days. They also messed up my parking charge (it was on the room bill but the guy at the gate wanted to charge me again for the whole length of stay, and it took--get this--OVER AN HOUR for him to keep calling back to the hotel trying to figure out what to do. The whole time we're sitting there in the rental car watching our flight time get closer and closer...

I wrote a letter to the GM explaining in more detail than I've used here what happened and how I felt they could have handled things better. I never got a response at all. While I expect some hiccups at a brand new property, I cannot tolerate poor guest service and then even ignoring guest inquiries.

My advice is to avoid the JW Marriott and stay on property.

that is a great rate for JW. And that rate for the Contemp is for one of the wings. I would stay at the JW!!

The Contemporary is wonderful! Large rooms, great restaurants, and you get the Disney experience, but aren't so completely surrounded by it that you feel you have to have kids with you. An anniversary dinner at the California Grille on the top of the hotel where you can watch the MK fireworks would be very romantic (great food). You can also easily hop on the monorail for a dinner and stroll in the romantic atmosphere of the Grand Floridian. A nice activity for two at the CR is renting a watermouse for an enjoyable ride around Bay Lake and the lagoon.
Are there many choices of restaurants or activities at the JW?
Hope whatever you decide results in a wonderful anniversary trip!

:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter