• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Contemplating impromptu 1st time trip to DL 3/22-3/25

DancinMama

Mouseketeer
I have a hare-brained idea to schedule an impromptu trip to DL 3/22-3/25. We’ve done Disney World a bunch but we’ve never been to California.

Opinions on staying at Pixar Pier verses a Good Neighbor hotel. Is it worth being right on property? We love staying on property at Disney World so I can’t imagine not being on property with DL.

Opinions on whether to fly in to LAX and find transportation to DL or fly into the Orange County Airport.

What do you all think?

Thanks-
Shelby

Staying offsite at DL is not like offsite at WDW. The hotels are close to the parks and you can walk. Budget and availability will likely dictate your choice.

If you're flying into LAX budget around $250 and 1 hour each way for roundtrip transportation to your hotel. Compare that with flying into one of the other airports. Ground transportation from the other airports is much quicker and a little less expensive.

Pixar pier hotel is currently under construction for a full renovation. I believe the pool area is closed and you can use the Disneyland hotel pool area (giant plus, as the DLH pool is huge and lovely). The lobby is also closed and they really don’t have a restaurant right now. I’ve read they have a small area for grab and go food. PPH also has their own entrance to California Adventure and you would get early entry by staying there. The rooms are a bit tired and that’s why they are renovating. But we love the size of the rooms at this hotel and love that the couch turns into a twin so my two teenagers don’t have to share a bed.

Off site hotels are really close at DL compared to WDW. Some are really nice and even have included hot breakfast. Some of our favorites are Howard Johnson, Home2Suites, Candy Cane inn and Wyndham Anaheim. Although it is nice to stay in the Disney bubble, we usually only splurge for a Disneyland resort stay one night since it is so expensive. ☺️ since this is your first trip, totally get wanting to stay on site. It’s pretty magical 😀

As for airports, it will probably depend on where you are flying from. For us, it’s almost always cheaper to fly into LAX, even when paying for a shuttle or Uber to get to Anaheim. It’s always significantly more money for us to fly into SNA. Sometimes we can find a deal going to Long Beach. Or Burbank. But not very often.

Hope that helps!!

Pixar Pier is under construction, with basically no amenities. The advantages right now mainly are access to Early Entry (30 minutes before opening, both parks) and a back entryway into DCA. Only you can decide if that's worth the money.

As PPs say, off-site at DLR is not like off-site at WDW. Some of the off-site hotels on Harbor are closer to the parks than Pixar Pier is. And the Westin Anaheim is only 5 minutes' more walk than the Pixar Pier (and quite nice).

I would choose SNA over LAX every time, unless fares are significantly different, based on travel time and size of airport. We've been using LGB recently and it's really small and nice as well.

SNA or LGB for sure if that is an option. So much better then LAX imo. I would stay off site and use that money for nicer meals or other fun things.

Orange County (SNA) is much, much preferred over LAX. I would only choose LAX if the cost savings were extremely significant.

We did it! We booked the trip!

We ended up with LAX and the ground transportation that you can include through Disney when purchasing your trip. It was quite a bit cheaper, (even with the ground transportation) with better and more flight options so we went with that. I guess this way since it's our first time in CA we'll get to see a little of the land as we drive to the resort.

Super excited and nervous for the new adventure!

We ended up with LAX and the ground transportation that you can include through Disney when purchasing your trip. It was quite a bit cheaper, (even with the ground transportation) with better and more flight options so we went with that. I guess this way since it's our first time in CA we'll get to see a little of the land as we drive to the resort.

Have a great trip!! ☺️

if any of y’all are interested- I have two nice dining reservations for March 23 that I’m probably going to cancel, will know by tomorrow

1. 11am Blue Bayou Fantasmic dining package for 2
2. 6:15pm Lamplight Lounge dining package for 2

If there is interest, we can try to coordinate a time for my cancellations

How exciting! I used to live near LAX, so I went through there alot, and it's busy but totally manageable.

Where did you decide to stay? We've stayed on property at DLH, and also across the street on Harbor blvd. If this is your only trip it might be nice to try DLH or GCH. (DLH does have some construction going on right now, just like PP.)

Some of the popular across-the-street hotels are:

Park Vue
Best Western Park Place Inn- includes breakfast
Tropicana
Best Western Anaheim Plus Inn- includes breakfast

These are super close, less than a 5 minute walk.

if any of y’all are interested- I have two nice dining reservations for March 23 that I’m probably going to cancel, will know by tomorrow

1. 11am Blue Bayou Fantasmic dining package for 2
2. 6:15pm Lamplight Lounge dining package for 2

If there is interest, we can try to coordinate a time for my cancellations
Thanks for the offer but I think we’re going to go for quick service options for this trip 😊

How exciting! I used to live near LAX, so I went through there alot, and it's busy but totally manageable.

Where did you decide to stay? We've stayed on property at DLH, and also across the street on Harbor blvd. If this is your only trip it might be nice to try DLH or GCH. (DLH does have some construction going on right now, just like PP.)

Some of the popular across-the-street hotels are:

Park Vue
Best Western Park Place Inn- includes breakfast
Tropicana
Best Western Anaheim Plus Inn- includes breakfast

These are super close, less than a 5 minute walk.
We ended up going with Paradise Pier even though it’s undergoing a lot of construction. We like the idea of being in one of the three main hotels for our first time to DL but decided to go with the cheapest route.

According to the website they will provide transportation to use the pool at the Disneyland Hotel so hopefully that won’t be too much of a hassle.

We just told the kids tonight that we’d be going next week and they’re super excited too! (Son-18 and Daughter-12) I’m nervous about going someplace new but I know we’ll have a great time! 😊

We ended up going with Paradise Pier even though it’s undergoing a lot of construction. We like the idea of being in one of the three main hotels for our first time to DL but decided to go with the cheapest route.

According to the website they will provide transportation to use the pool at the Disneyland Hotel so hopefully that won’t be too much of a hassle.

We just told the kids tonight that we’d be going next week and they’re super excited too! (Son-18 and Daughter-12) I’m nervous about going someplace new but I know we’ll have a great time! 😊
That sounds great! The Disneyland Hotel pools are SO nice, and you can get Dole Whips right at Tangaroa Terrace.

You'll have a wonderful time :)

That sounds great! The Disneyland Hotel pools are SO nice, and you can get Dole Whips right at Tangaroa Terrace.

You'll have a wonderful time :)
I went in January and stayed at Paradise Pier. If you want to use the Disneyland Hotel pool they drive you over in a double length golf cart. Not sure the golf cart will have quite the same level of excitement to a 12 and 18 year old but my 3 year old was super excited about the golf cart ride. She still tells people she rode a golf cart to the pool. The fact that the pool at Paradise Pier is under construction is actually an added reason for me to want to stay there since it means I can pay Paradise Pier prices for the Disneyland Hotel pool. We may stay there again in June and take full advantage of the pool while we can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter