Contemplating a solo trip...

Rose DiVerona

Time to be movin' along...
So here's the deal: I adore Disney. I could pretty much spend every vacation there. I graduated college last May and for the past year have been interning in D.C., but that ends mid-May. Then, I'll have a couple months while I look for jobs. I would really like to go to Disney for one big hurrah before I'll have to plan vacations around work leave. I'd also like to go to Universal, because I'm also a huge Harry Potter fan and have yet to visit Wizarding World of HP, despite several trips to Disney since it opened.

But...I can't find anyone who wants to come with. I've never been on vacation solo, and though I know I love Disney enough to enjoy the freedom of doing whatever I want, when I want, I'm worried it won't be as much fun without people to share it with. I just don't want to spend a big sum of money on a vacation that turns out to be lonely (especially since, given my internship status, I'm not exactly rolling in the dough right now).

Anyone had similar concerns? What happened? And were any of you recent college grads/young 20s (just trying to see if age group might play a factor)?

Thanks!

The one question I'm going to pose is, how do you feel doing things by yourself in your everyday life? Do you go to movies / concerts / theatre alone? Do you ever dine out alone? I'm a big ol' introvert who is used to doing things alone and comfortable with it. If that's you, you'll probably be OK. If you are happier and thrive more in the company of others, you might not enjoy a solo trip as much. I know how it is to really really want to make that trip, though, and at some level, you'll never know if you like it until you try.

The one question I'm going to pose is, how do you feel doing things by yourself in your everyday life? Do you go to movies / concerts / theatre alone? Do you ever dine out alone? I'm a big ol' introvert who is used to doing things alone and comfortable with it. If that's you, you'll probably be OK. If you are happier and thrive more in the company of others, you might not enjoy a solo trip as much. I know how it is to really really want to make that trip, though, and at some level, you'll never know if you like it until you try.

This is my advice too!

Try doing a few touristy things in DC by yourself and see how you like it. I did a couple of business trips (by definition less fun but solo) and knew what I did and didn't like about solo travel (love setting my own agenda, hate eating alone). I have found that bringing a book (or reading on my phone) cuts down on the eating alone issue.

In addition to the ideas already mentioned, I'd recommend doing a tour, where you're with a group for an extended period of time and get a chance to connect. Also booking a TS meal that has communal seating, like Teppan Edo of Germany, gives an opportunity to visit with others. And there's always the opportunity to chat while waiting in line...

Thanks for the responses! I'm still mulling it over, but I'm definitely someone who is fine doing things alone. I've gone to many movies and museums by myself here. Any other tips or stories are welcome!

I just did a partly solo trip and had a blast when it was just me, and I'm now planning a full solo 2 week trip with no hesitations. So many people are so friendly and it's so easy to strike up a conversation with most people, I don't think I felt lonely at all (and if I ever did I'd just go chat to a CM or meet a character and that solved it!) I'm in my early 20's and from the other side of the world, so if you're someone who's fine with doing things on your own and you love Disney I don't think you'd have any issues!

I just came back from a 1-week mostly solo trip (was solo but met up with a friend from the Dis a few times!). It was SO MUCH FUN!

This was my first WDW solo trip, but not my first Disney solo trip (previously done DL and DLP solo). Went solo the first time as I happened to be in California and couldn't find anyone to go to DL with me so I went on my own for 3-4 days! And enjoyed it so much!

I am however rather introverted and am quite happy playing on my phone (or texting friends/family) or reading something on my iPad or Kindle, so am quite happy being on my own.

As others have said - it's really easy to strike up a conversation with people. If I found myself in line with a little kid (and family) waiting for a character meet I'd ask the kid things like what his/her favourite character was, what his/her favourite ride is, etc. I also randomly had a conversation with a couple who were walking past me talking about how they could see people in the castle and wondering how they could get up there, so I told them about CRT and then had a conversation about Disney and all as we were walking out of the parks. CMs were also great to talk to and it was so fun being able to find out what their jobs were like!

(I'm in my mid-late 20s by the way...)

I agree with all PPs on here. I love WDW, & it's always nice going w/a good friend or family there. But the first solo trip I had actually was not planned & I suppose I had been kind of forced into it (tough lesson learned there that not Every WDW trip w/others will be fun, it really all depends who you go with). So my advice is if you already enjoy going out & doing some things on your own, you might really enjoy a solo trip! I have met many really cool & nice people to talk with for a while, CMs as well as guests & find I don't really feel lonely at all. And if you do start to feel lonely, as on PP mentioned, go see a character or keep yourself occupied on an attraction. It took me a little while to feel comfortable dining alone but I find that my anxiety toward it was more than necessary b/c mostly everyone is busy paying attention to everything but the person dining alone. I say if you have that itch & really want to make a trip there, go for it! You'll never know if you don't try it, & you could (probably will) end up having an awesome vacation! :)

I did my first solo trip at WDW last Sept and had an absolute blast! I'm now 25 but I've been travelling solo on and off since I was 19.

I didn't really know what it would be like and how I'd feel about dining alone and meeting characters by myself but it was great. I just always had something to do while I ate (reading a book or writing my TR diary) and the characters were really good for giving personal greets and no one ever mentioned I was alone (although Elsa had a bit of a judgey attitude).

Another good thing about solo trips is single rider lines (especially at Universal). I mean yes I was there at a quiet time but everything was pretty much a walk-on so I managed to get so much more done in my day.

A really good way to see if you'd like to do a solo trip is to read solo trip reports because you'll see just how much fun people had!

Thanks to everyone. I ended up booking from May 26-30. I get in early afternoon, so I'll drop my stuff at Pop Century and head to the MK for an evening. Then next day is EMH morning at AK. I've never spent more than a half day there, so I'll have the evening free to maybe drop by Epcot (not a big fan), or relax, or whatever I feel like doing. Third day is EMH morning at MK. I'll be there the whole day. Final day--full day at DHS. Then I fly out the next day late enough to spend a few hours in DD!

Of course, now that I've got it booked it's all I can think about!

Once I make plans I can never resist tweaking them...added a day at the beginning, so May 25-30, and booked a Keys to the Kingdom tour the 26th. I'm so glad I decided to go (of course now it's all I can think about)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter