• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Contact Lense Solutions?

rockin_rep

<font color=royalblue>DIS Veteran<br><font color=d
Any experts here on contact lense solutions? I've been using Opti-Free Express Multi-Purpose Solution for a long long time and it works really well for my soft lenses.

Sometimes other brands are alot cheaper though, so does anyone know how similar, if at all, they might be to Opti Free? The actual ingredients are a little different - i did check - but are any of them close enough to Opti Free to be interchangable? My eyes are super sensitive so would like to avoid a reaction if possible, and don't wanna waste my money either.

I guess i could call my optometrist tomorrow but would like your thoughts too because you guys really know what you're talking about! :) TIA.

They are all the same basic thing. If you aren't sure if it will bother your eye, just get a small bottle and give it a try. You might discuss with your optometrist the option of leaving the lenses in for the entire month instead of taking them in and out everyday. You won't use hardly any solution anymore and the contacts generally hold up better because you are not touching them every day.

Target's generic no-rub solution is no different from the brand name. I've been using it for years with no issues and the price is super cheap compared to brand name.

Target's generic no-rub solution is no different from the brand name. I've been using it for years with no issues and the price is super cheap compared to brand name.

Another fan of Target solution here!! I think the only generic brand I didn't like was the Costco brand.

I use what is cheapest, which happens to be Walmart generic.

I've used Renu and Opti-Free. Neither seemed any different from each other. Walmart generic is the same size and style bottle as Renu. I think Target generic is same size and style bottle as Opti-Free.

Eye doctor told me that the generics are just previous versions of formulations from the main brands. I was told that when asked what kind I use when the recall was going on.

Sometimes I leave my contacts in for a few days, but usually I remove them overnight. I recently got some stuff from Sam's Club that isn't your normal no-rub solution. This was stuff that you had to put in it's own little case and leave for at least 6 hours to allow the solution to neutralize. It states not to put it into your eye from the bottle and not to rinse the contacts with the bottle before putting into your eyes. If you want to rinse, the bottle says to use a saline solution to rinse before putting them in. I use this stuff once a week or so and it does clean them very very well. It's like putting a brand new pair of contacts in my eyes after soaking overnight with this stuff.

I swear by clear care! If you have soft, hydrophillic lenses, you should be able to use it. It is simply hydrogen peroxide that you soak your lenses in. I do this every night; it not only cleans the lenses very well but it disinfects them too. You let your lenses sit for 6 hours and the hydrogen peroxide changes chemically to sterile water. You don't even need extra solution to put them in. You just take the lenses from the clear care case (you have to use a special case with the solution - the case comes with each new solution bottle you buy) and pop them in.

As far as budget friendly: you can often find this stuff at CVS with at least 4 ECBS with purchase and use a 3.00 coupon on top of that, making it only a few dollars. I buy mine on sale. If you don't want to wait for a sale, then you can get it at many warehouse clubs (i've seen it at bj's and sams).

Oh, and I've worn soft contacts for about 13 years now.

I've used Renu and Opti-Free. Neither seemed any different from each other. Walmart generic is the same size and style bottle as Renu. I think Target generic is same size and style bottle as Opti-Free.

Eye doctor told me that the generics are just previous versions of formulations from the main brands. I was told that when asked what kind I use when the recall was going on.

Sometimes I leave my contacts in for a few days, but usually I remove them overnight. I recently got some stuff from Sam's Club that isn't your normal no-rub solution. This was stuff that you had to put in it's own little case and leave for at least 6 hours to allow the solution to neutralize. It states not to put it into your eye from the bottle and not to rinse the contacts with the bottle before putting into your eyes. If you want to rinse, the bottle says to use a saline solution to rinse before putting them in. I use this stuff once a week or so and it does clean them very very well. It's like putting a brand new pair of contacts in my eyes after soaking overnight with this stuff.

You HAVE to be using clear care. I love the stuff. I use it every night (which is totally fine according to the company). Cleans the lenses very well. best i've found and reccomended highly by my eye doc.

I have used the Target No-Rub brand, the Wal-Mart No Rub brand and the CVS No Rub Brand (and probably a few other No Rub store brands) and have never had a problem with any of them. I honestly don't notice any difference between the store brands and Opti-Free No Rub or Re-Nu (Baush and Lomb). I also have sensitive eyes and have used many store brands with no problems what so ever, which is great because the store brands are so much cheaper.

THANKS EVERYONE for your replies!!

One of my concerns is the preservative Theimerisol (sp?) that makes my eyes itchy and red. Do any of the generics of the older formulations include it?

THANKS EVERYONE for your replies!!

One of my concerns is the preservative Theimerisol (sp?) that makes my eyes itchy and red. Do any of the generics of the older formulations include it?
I currently have the generic Wal-Mart brand and the ingrediants are as follows:

-hydroxyalkyl phosphonate
-boric acid
-edetate disodium
-polyoxyethylene polyoxypropylene
-block copolymer with ethylene diamine
-sodium borate
-sodium chloride
*preserved with polyaminopropyl biguanide 0.0001%

not sure if any of these ingrediants is another name for Thimerisol but maybe you could compare the contents of this brand with the one you normally use

**EDIT- I did some research and from what I could find, none of the ingrediants in the Wal-Mart brand that I listed above are Thimerisol. So I assume this product is Thimerisol free.

I've used Opti-free, Baush and Laumb, and both Target's and Walmart's store brands and they ahve all been fine for me. I take my contacts out nightly and have fairly sensitive eyes, and bounce between these brands regularly.

My eye doc said not to use ReNu. They don't put as many chemicals in it to keep your lenses clean.

I'm allergic to Opti-free. Eye doc confirmed that LOTS of people are allergic to it too.

Generally, I use Complete. Costco carries it and it is reasonably priced.

When I travel to places where you can't drink the water I'll use something with stronger chemicals like Revitalens.

I'm also allergic to Opti-free and can't use it.

We use Bausch and Lomb BioTrue.

My eye doc said not to use ReNu. They don't put as many chemicals in it to keep your lenses clean.

I'm allergic to Opti-free. Eye doc confirmed that LOTS of people are allergic to it too.

Generally, I use Complete. Costco carries it and it is reasonably priced.

When I travel to places where you can't drink the water I'll use something with stronger chemicals like Revitalens.

You might as well save a few dollars and switch to the Kirkland brand. Unless something has recently changed (check the ingredients on the labels) it's the same formula as Complete.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Opti-Free makes their newer formula (Opti Free Replenish) available to private brands. Likewise I don't think B&L makes their newer Ren Plus available for private labels, only their older ReNu product. Look at the labels. You should be able to figure out what private label product matches the name brand product.

Another fan of clear care here! My optometrist gave me a sample of it last time I was in as I had been having some issues with my lenses. I really like it and was happy to find that Target now carries a generic version that is much cheaper. I don't like Target's case quite as well, but I am getting used to it.

I would suggest trying a travel size first to see if you like it or see if your eye doctor can give you a sample. Good luck!

I swear by clear care! If you have soft, hydrophillic lenses, you should be able to use it. It is simply hydrogen peroxide that you soak your lenses in. I do this every night; it not only cleans the lenses very well but it disinfects them too. You let your lenses sit for 6 hours and the hydrogen peroxide changes chemically to sterile water. You don't even need extra solution to put them in. You just take the lenses from the clear care case (you have to use a special case with the solution - the case comes with each new solution bottle you buy) and pop them in.

As far as budget friendly: you can often find this stuff at CVS with at least 4 ECBS with purchase and use a 3.00 coupon on top of that, making it only a few dollars. I buy mine on sale. If you don't want to wait for a sale, then you can get it at many warehouse clubs (i've seen it at bj's and sams).

Oh, and I've worn soft contacts for about 13 years now.

I use Clear Care, too! :thumbsup2

It is more expensive up front...HOWEVER, it's like giving your contacts an enzyme treatment every night and can extend how long you can wear them. Most people who wear soft contacts wear disposables. I'm able to make a 6 month supply last a full year with the Clear Care system.

So, the cost for the solution is a little more, but I end up saving on lenses. I try to buy it at Costco or when there is a coupon in the paper and ECB at CVS.

Another fan of clear care here! My optometrist gave me a sample of it last time I was in as I had been having some issues with my lenses. I really like it and was happy to find that Target now carries a generic version that is much cheaper. I don't like Target's case quite as well, but I am getting used to it.

I would suggest trying a travel size first to see if you like it or see if your eye doctor can give you a sample. Good luck!

I'm going to have to look into the Target brand! I'm glad there's finally a generic version of it!!

There are generic hydrogen peroxide products. I don't think there is a generic version of ClearCare. ClearCare has a lens cleaning ingredient which AFAIK the generic solutions don't have.

Use Clear Care also. Had a lot of problems with other solutions but this works best for me. I usually buy the generic at Target or Meijer.

You HAVE to be using clear care. I love the stuff. I use it every night (which is totally fine according to the company). Cleans the lenses very well. best i've found and reccomended highly by my eye doc.
Looked Clear Care up and yes, that is what I mentioned getting at Sam's Club. I don't use it every night because sometimes I will leave my contacts in all night and sometimes I will go to bed around midnight taking the contacts out, then getting up at 5 am for work, thus not the 6 hour time that the bottle states. Usually I will use the Clear Care overnight on Friday or Saturday since I will get more than my usual 4-5 hours of sleep, nor do I have to wake up, contacts in, quick shower, and right out the door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter