• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Contact lens wearers? Generic solution or name brand?

Generic vs. Name brand - Back when there was people getting eye infections from one of the contact solutions which was with my old contacts, the eye doctor asked me what I was using. I was using Walmart generic and she told me that's fine. I was told that the generics are just the previous generation formula of the name brand companies, ie, Walmart Equate brand is the previous formula of Renu, thus it wasn't the current recalled formula that was giving everyone eye infections. Target's generic is the previous formula of Opti-Free. You can pretty much tell by the bottle, the bottles are the same as the name brands.

That's interesting to know! I can use Equate with no problem, but the Target stuff bugs me.

My optometrist changed my contact prescription back in January. At the same time, I changed to a "store brand" solution. My eyes BURNED for days. I thought it was the new contacts and had them rewrite the prescription. I changed back to B&L solution a day or so before the contacts came in and what a difference.

I think the bottom line is if you want to change solution, get one of the travel bottles, and try it for a week. If you don't have problems, go with it. If you do have problems, you're not wasting a large bottle.

I use Clear Care. It was recommended by my doctor last year and at first I thought "what difference does it make?" Let me say, it makes a HUGE difference for me. My contacts used to get dry during the day and I'd have to use rewetting drops regularly. And I would take the contacts out as soon as I got home.

Clear Care isn't regular saline and I don't believe there is a store brand. You can't just use it to rinse your contacts. The contacts have to sit in the solution for at least 6 hours before you can wear them again. It does contain 3% hydrogen peroxide. But it works. My eyes are almost never dry and I hardly every use my rewetting drops. I do have some regular saline also just in case I need to rinse a lens and put it back in, but for overnight cleaning, I only use Clear Care now.

It also comes with it's own case, which is completely different from any case you've seen. It is definitely more expensive than regular saline, but if you want to extend the life of your lenses and improve the feel of them when wearing them all day, Clear Care is the way to go. (of course I must say, I am not an eye doctor, so it might be a good idea for you to consult with your own doc before trying it.)
I used Clear Care as well before I switched to daily disposables! It was the BEST. I have very sensitive eyes and this was the only solution that didn't irritate my eyes.

Like I said, I switched to daily disposables because even with the Clear Care my eyes are having trouble handling the contacts. I'm being vain and won't switch to glasses until I really need to.. :rolleyes1

I don't recommend store brand to my patients. The two my office carries that I like to use the best is Opti free pure moist and clear care. Clear care is a peroxide based system, so that does need to stay in the case for at least 7 hours

When I wore RGP, I would buy the generic brand. Boston's solution always burned my eyes.

Now that I wear soft contacts, it is only Clear Care. I have tried the generic stuff and it did not match up to the Clear Care.

I should probably try switching to a generic. I use dailies now and hardly use any solution at all but every once in a while I will get a hair or something on the contact and need to rinse them. I can't use Bausch and Lomb, the preservatives sting my eyes.
If you only need a solution to rinse them off and not to soak/disinfect, you could use plain saline solution, like Walmart's Equate. It would be a LOT cheaper than using a solution with a disinfectant, which you don't need if you throw them out every day. I have sensitive eyes and can use Equate without any irritation.

I use AO Sept. It seems like they're phasing that out and trying to replace it with Clear Care. I get a free sample of Clear Care in every box of AO I buy. I wish I could use it, but it makes my eyes sting.

As stated, it has peroxide in it, but that acts as a cleaner and makes a huge difference. Also, it is expensive...almost $9, but worth every penny.
Not really that expensive as in how much a bottle goes for. Regular Renu and Opti-Free brand name no rub solutions are also almost $9/bottle.

Where it is more expensive is you use a good bit more product filling up the cleaning case compared to a few drops of no rub solution in a regular contact case.

The eye doctor I work for pretty much tells people they can use whatever brand they want, as long as it cleans and disinfects. However, if you have dry or sensitive eyes you might do better with a name brand. We've mostly recommended Optifree but the new BioTrue is really becoming popular.

Anyway, you can try whatever you like. Just make sure it's a multipurpose. If your eyes feel dry or irritated, switch back to a name brand.

For the optical professionals here ~ what do you recommend to your patients with the RGP lenses? I used to use Alcon Soaclens until they discontinued it. Then I used B & L Sensitive Eyes until they discontinued that. It seems like the only one left is Boston which makes my eyes sting. I was lucky to find that Walmart had an RGP solution and that my eyes are content with it. I just worry what will happen if they discontinue it.

If you only need a solution to rinse them off and not to soak/disinfect, you could use plain saline solution, like Walmart's Equate. It would be a LOT cheaper than using a solution with a disinfectant, which you don't need if you throw them out every day. I have sensitive eyes and can use Equate without any irritation.

I use AO Sept. It seems like they're phasing that out and trying to replace it with Clear Care. I get a free sample of Clear Care in every box of AO I buy. I wish I could use it, but it makes my eyes sting.

That is a good idea. I will have to try plain saline.:thumbsup2

I use a name brand No Rub solution recommended by my eye doctor - a bottle lasts so long, I can't see why anyone would have a fit about the cost. By the time I actually go through a bottle, I've thrown away many pairs of contacts (generally one pair every 4 weeks), which are a heck of lot more expensive than the eye solution!

I never have to use re-wetting drops (unless there's a dust storm).

I'd post the name of the brand, but I honestly buy it so infrequently I can't recall what it is off hand.

Bought a travel size of the Clear Care last night....so far so good!! Contacts felt pretty good this morning! :thumbsup2

I wear Gas Permeables and I truly noticed the difference when I bought a store brand as opposed to a name brand. It is recommended that a name brand is used, in my experience.

I've worn contacts since I was 16. I'm 43. I've found that both the store-brand and the name-brand products work the same until something new comes out, then the name-brand tends to be better at whatever the new trend is trying to cover. (No-rub or cleanser free, or what have you.)

I currently use Alcon Opti-Free Re-Fresh PH stuff and I really like it.

For the optical professionals here ~ what do you recommend to your patients with the RGP lenses? I used to use Alcon Soaclens until they discontinued it. Then I used B & L Sensitive Eyes until they discontinued that. It seems like the only one left is Boston which makes my eyes sting. I was lucky to find that Walmart had an RGP solution and that my eyes are content with it. I just worry what will happen if they discontinue it.

I wear RGP lenses, too, and have for almost 5 years, and my doctor had me switch to Clear Care after my first year using Boston. The Boston stuff dried my eyes out and it was tough to care for my lenses while at school (even though I only shared a bathroom with my 3 roommates). I switched to Clear Care and have been using it for about 3 years now and I love it. I haven't had any issues with it and my lenses are super clean when I go to put them in when I wake up.

I also wear one soft lens under my hard lens to keep it in place and I can clean the soft lens and the hard lenses together in one case instead of having one case and one type of solution for the hard lenses and a separate case and a bottle of Renu for the soft lens.

I do keep a bottle of the Boston disinfectant in my purse (with spare lenses both hard and soft, saline, rewetting drops and a mirror) in case I'm out and I get something under my lens or it falls out, but don't have to use it very often. I also rinse my lenses with plain saline in the morning - it's super cheap and I either use the Walmart or Target brand.

Even though Clear Care is a bit pricey, it's worth EVERY penny. I usually buy the double pack and can last about 2 and a half months before I have to buy more. And the double pack always comes with a travel-size bottle, so I always have one of those laying around, too.

Been wearing contacts for 27 years. Bought cheap, expensive, and everything in between.

When I was younger, I could buy the cheap store saline and cleansers with no issues. As I age, my eyes are more sensitive (dry eye) and found the name brand is superior.

I interchange between Clear Care and B&L Peroxi Clean. Both do a great job. Pricey, yes. But I use coupons when I find them. Just used a $8 off coupon the other day. :thumbsup2

And if I need a eye drop during the day, Refresh Optive is fabulous.

Been wearing contacts for 27 years. Bought cheap, expensive, and everything in between.

When I was younger, I could buy the cheap store saline and cleansers with no issues. As I age, my eyes are more sensitive (dry eye) and found the name brand is superior.

I interchange between Clear Care and B&L Peroxi Clean. Both do a great job. Pricey, yes. But I use coupons when I find them. Just used a $8 off coupon the other day. :thumbsup2

And if I need a eye drop during the day, Refresh Optive is fabulous.
There are basically only about four manufacturers of contact lens solutions in the US - B&L, AMO (I guess now owned by Abbott, but used to be part of Allergan), Ciba, and Alcon. You can often just read the ingredient list and figure out who made it.

I haven't really kept up with contact lenses. I got tired of wearing them years ago. My eye doc said I had extremely dry eyes. She recommended that I take them out and douse them with saline, then put them back in. Drops were of limited use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter