Construction at MGM?

raidermatt

Be water, my friend.
Apparently there is construction of some kind going in the NY area...

Thread on wdwmagic.com

Anyone know what's going on? Someone on another thread at wdwmagic indicated it was not a major attraction, but would change that area of the park significantly. Others speculated it was merely new facades going up.

Anyone know?

Also, does this mean the "Singin' in the Rain" umbrella is currently closed?

Thanks...

Originally posted by raidermatt
Apparently there is construction of some kind going in the NY area...

Thread on wdwmagic.comAlso, does this mean the "Singin' in the Rain" umbrella is currently closed?

I'm guessing the "umbrella" is getting a Fast Pass machine, but I could be wrong ;)

Yep they are installing the removed FastPass machines from the failed Muppetvision FastPass Experiment. (Geez I hope they learned from that one...)

Hardy, har har.... ;)

So, is that an "I don't know", or is it "I know, but if I tell you I have to kill you."?

:confused: We were at MGM on may 7th, on the backstage tram, and they had the entire facade of the building facing the arch torn down. {the area where the umbrella is} We asked the CM narrating on the tram ride, and he claims that all he knows is that there is a "new attraction" going up in that location. he also said that the old huncback theatre was involved as well. That part I don't beleive, but all of the facade was down on that last row of buildings. :confused:

I have little info on what exactly is happening but the Backlot/Residential Street area is where the Studios next major attraction is planned to go. With a new major attraction and the eventual Star Tours makeover that area of the park will be able to balance the crowd flow of the park. About a year and a half ago (cant remember when) and imagineer came back to the Al's Toy Barn area while I was working there. He had with him a large piece of concept art and took pictures with a digital camera from all angles looking back towards the arch at the end of New York Street. Once Hunchback closed I assumed something was finally going to be happening here since there was no logical reason to close hunchback since it still ran full shows. (so did Doug Live but that didnt stop them there) Again I point out that Rock n Roller Coaster was orginally planned to go in the Residential Street area but was moved because construction costs were cheaper in its current location. They did remove the bleacher seats from the Backlot theater a while ago and have been gradually closing food and beverage and cart locations back that way. I think that it is probably just a reconstruction of the facade at this point. Perhaps in preparation for a new attraction. They would have announced construction of something major.

WDI is in the process of adding a new car stunt show on NY Street similar to the Moteurs Action show at Disney Studios Paris.

At the risk of being accused of adding more "crap" from Screamscape (where they actually have rumors, some of which have panned out, as opposed to just pictures and bouncing, clapping smilies - but we won't go there ;)).........................
2004/2005 - Auto Stunt Show - Rumor - (5/14/03) Is the park planning on bringing the popular new Stunt show from Walt Disney Studios Paris to it’s Florida counterpart? That seems to be the popular rumor just starting to spread throughout the park. The latest word is that several construction markers have been seen on the grounds along the Residential Street area and CMs have been ordered to clear out the houses that are used as storage for the Osborne Lights to prepare for demolition to begin.
The rumors, as unfounded or untrue as they might possibly be, are growing. So, can anyone else cornfirm or deny that the backlot area is getting more than a facelift? Scoop? TripAway.........care to elaborate on your sources/info? Show, you had a lot to say that nobody seemed to want to discuss more, can you eek out some more of the goods? Anyone have anything concrete to shoot the rumor down (sans lecture, of course ;))? No offense, but we could use some real rumor talk as it's been a bit quiet as of late.

I've seen the stunt show in question described as both "popular" and "disappointing". I know nothing about the show. While I niether agree nor disagree that this show will ever end up in WDW, what can anyone tell me about the show? What is good, what is bad, what is it like?

CMs have been ordered to clear out the houses that are used as storage for the Osborne Lights to prepare for demolition to begin.

Ummm..aren't those "house" all just fake fronts with no interiors?

Ummm..aren't those "house" all just fake fronts with no interiors?
Ummmm........I believe that most of the ones on the right hand side of Residential Street, as you travel on the tram, are as you can see the backside of them as you travel along the bone yard. On the tour they talk about building only what the eye can see, but that is part of the Show, and that doesn't mean all the houses on residential street were built that way. I can't say I've ever seen the backside of the houses on the other side of the street. Does anyone know for sure?

As a follow up, here is some of the rumorizing from Intercot (not that I'm gassing up the smiliemobile to make a 200X trip to the Sunshine State to see all these fandangled new attractions that are sure to come ;)).................
Anyways... I've got some more tasty rumors for you... this is from a very VERY reliable and inside source of mine...

Rumor has it from this source that the Hunchback theatre is being gutted and removed...

Also a lot of other space in that region will be gone, including a lot of parking lot space that is currently not being used..

Eventually... says my source.... Backlot Tour will be removed and all of the space (think about all of that space including the small lake, residential street, AND Catastrophe Canyon) will be used for "high-end rides"...

One problem the park faces is the balance of the entire park... right now it is loaded heavily to the South East corner (Tower of Terror, and Rock N' Rollercoaster)... they want to stretch the density across the entire park...

Of course, all of that is MAJOR RUMOR... so take it with a grain of salt...

But as far as what is going on right now, my source also talked about another Stunt Show possibly making its way over to New York Street... OR perhaps a thrill ride of some nature.... one that would top Tower of Terror AND Rock n' Rollercoaster...

You know, wouldn't it seem strange to add a stunt show in the NY area, since there is already the Indiana Jones stunt show - I mean, wouldn't it be weird to have two "stunt shows?" Unless, for some reason, they weren't going to need the Indiana Jones stunt show, I mean, I guess it would be as weird to have two Indiana Jones-based attractions as it would be to have two stunt shows...right?

DR

There is no parking in the Backlot Theater area. Also the only parking which could possibly have an attraction put in is where the handicap and cast parking is now so I dont think it will be removed. The houses are all facades and are used to store the elements of the Osbourne Lights.

There is no parking in the Backlot Theater area.
Isn't there some parking in the area along the road that the tram takes from the backlot area, past the boneyard, to Catastrophe Canyon? Is this the CM/handicapped parking?
The houses are all facades and are used to store the elements of the Osbourne Lights.
So they are all facades and are used for OL storage - thanks for clearing that up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The houses are all facades and are used to store the elements of the Osbourne Lights.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So they are all facades and are used for OL storage - thanks for clearing that up.

Maybe I'm having trouble with picturing how a facade is used in storage. How can a box with two sides be used for storage? I understand that they display the lights from the front...but I would think they would store them someplace enclosed? Oh well not a big deal I’m sure its just semantics.

Maybe I'm having trouble with picturing how a facade is used in storage. How can a box with two sides be used for storage?
These are more like "3D" facades. Think of a box with three sides and a top...

Originally posted by DisneyKidds
I've seen the stunt show in question described as both "popular" and "disappointing". I know nothing about the show. While I niether agree nor disagree that this show will ever end up in WDW, what can anyone tell me about the show? What is good, what is bad, what is it like?

I think it's brilliant, and makes the Indy stunt show look very pedestrian by comparison. The only problem with the show in Paris is that the live commentary between set piece stunts is bilingual French/English. This slows down an otherwise fast-paced show which has incredible feats of driving and great stunts. Even Herbie the Love Bug makes a return! What more could you ask for.

The show is based on a backstage look at car-based stunts. The show was choreographed (and sometimes it does feel a little balletic!) by the same guy who did most of the Bond films and The Italian Job and many, many more (Remy Juliene I think he's called). Members of the audience are invited to take part as extras in much the same way as the Indy show. There are great car chases, motorcycle crashes (the rider slides along the floor and then is set alight!) and even a jet ski gets involved. Throughout the show there is a genuine sense of danger as cars scream past each other missing (at least most of the time) by inches. It would make a great addition to any theme park, although it does seem odd to have two stunt shows in the same park.

Regards

Rob

Originally posted by rob@rar.org.uk
although it does seem odd to have two stunt shows in the same park.

Rock'n Country Roller Coaster
Towering Building of Laughs
Front Stage Tour

The possibilities are now endless! :)

Who needs Imagineers? We've got erasers!

JC

Kidds

There is some parking in that area, both on the Backlot Tour route and some more a little further down behind the soundstages. This parking is used mostly for storage, garbage, and lumber for set construction in the soundstages. There are also special events lighting booms, the old Dick Tracy cars, and other vehicles. The parking is also used for groups using the Studios. This is on the opposite side of the park from the backlot theatre and couldnt be part of any attraction on residential street unless the backlot tour was eliminated (or it went through the new attraction). Rock n Roller Coaster sits on the old cast parking lot and the current cast parking is the the Television section of the main lot. There is still a lot of parking and empty pavement over by coaster so they could feasibily move everything in the parking in question.

Europa

The houses are completely framed like a normal house. Typically the front and one side of the house actually has a wall and the other two are open frames of 2x4. The houses also have roofs. So when you are storing weather proof christmas lights and such there is no problem putting them inside.

Screamscape further reports..........................
2004/2005 - Auto Stunt Show - Rumor - (5/16/03) Another source has confirmed to me that Disney is indeed planning on bringing the popular Stunt Show from WDS-Paris to MGM. Furthermore, they are working on repairing their damaged relationship with GM by pitching the show to them as a giant showcase for GM vehicles. The interesting thing to wonder is what effect this may have on the long-running Indiana Jones stunt show?
Scoop, are we getting colder? warmer? If we independantly stumble over info that you might possess but are unable to share, would you confirm?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter