Consolidate Gift Cards?

My kids love Disney gift cards too. Question about the app someone mentioned. Will it automatically keep up with transactions or will I need to type in what is spent?

The app keeps track automatically, in real time. You need to assign a name to each card (ex. Johnny1, Johnny2) and I write the name on the front of the card with a Sharpie. You enter the card once and you're good to go. It works really well.

Also, I would not throw away the used up cards too quickly. If you need to return anything that was paid with a GC, the refund will be placed on the same card.

The app keeps track automatically, in real time. You need to assign a name to each card (ex. Johnny1, Johnny2) and I write the name on the front of the card with a Sharpie. You enter the card once and you're good to go. It works really well.

Also, I would not throw away the used up cards too quickly. If you need to return anything that was paid with a GC, the refund will be placed on the same card.

This seems to simplify matters as much as I'm going to get. Thanks so much for the info. I'll look it up!

I love the iphone app for keeping track of the cards and their balance. However, if you have an android phone you can use www.disneygiftcard.com to check balances. I haven't used it in a while but I don't think it stores the card numbers and you'd have to keep typing them in.

I know that at my terminal if I sell or reload a Disney Gift Card and attempt to use a Disney Gift Card as a form of payment the system will not accept the payment and give me an error message.

If you don't have any other option I woul do a few things....

1- keep a feezer bag (they are more durable) for each kid clearly labeled with big bold letters in different colored sharpies. All gift cards for that kid go into their bag.

2-Put a color coded post it on each gift card (one color for each kid) as money on the card is used scratch out the privious amount and write on the new one.

3- Throw away the card as soon as it's emptied!!!

Another option...... Add up the total amount and buy a new gift card for that amount and use the collection of gift cards towards paying off the room and food.

I wouldn't throw away the cards till after I am home and have checked the balance of ALL of them. I had to return an item and it was refunded back to the gift card I used so I had to sort through them all to find the one with the credit on it.

We took a ton of Disney Giftcards last year and I just kept them in a ziploc baggie and made sure the I always used the top card and once it had a zero balance I tossed it and went to the next one.

I went to the Disney Store to try and consolidate them, and it couldnt be done. The clerk tried, but it wouldn't let me pay for a gift card with a gift card.

Here is what you do, if it is family tell them to give you the receipts.hopefully they can, especially if they know in advance.

Disney policy is you can return gift cards if you have the origin receipts.

Then either in a store or at wdw, return the gifts cards and take the money.

Then and only after you get your money back, buy the gift car with the amount you want on it.

Believe me I have done this, Disney does not like it but it is there policy that you can return gift cards with the original reciept for cash. I have also told everyone to pay cash for then just so no one can say has to go on original credit card, although they have not said that to me at all.

We have been doing this for almost 20 years, my kids have way to much and hate, hate, hate grandmas cloths as gifts. So we do gift cards, aunts, uncles. And everyone started to get in on it, we give to their kids, they give to our kids. At first the kids hated all presents were now gone within family groups. But after a year a and then realizing that they can buy anything they want at Disney they are so happy. Even now in there twenties the kids love when they pool all those gift cards together and get one card for several hundred dollars.

This is the only way I have been able to figure out a way around the consolidating the cards. And yes believe me, Disney hates it. So make sure you do all of them and do not tell them you are going to turn around and buy one card. Don't do one kid at a time and then buy the card because then they will get all hottie on you when you do the next child's.

We turn them all in, if they get hottie just say this is our last day and we did not spend then all and would like to change them for cash. Whatever, it is there policy that it can be done so who cares if they don't like it.what I do then is walk away, sometimes even to a different store or cashier and let the kids pick a card and seperate the money for each child and put it on the new card.

Good luck, if you find an easier way i would like to know, after 20 years this is the only way we have been able to figure it out and it is a pain if it is all small $25 and you have to join 20 of them.

Hope that helps.

Another option...... Add up the total amount and buy a new gift card for that amount and use the collection of gift cards towards paying off the room and food.

I think this is an excellent suggestion! This is exactly what I would do.

What I have done in the past: when my kids would get say 4 $25 cards if I didnt want to carry all 4 cards, I would use their gift cards to pay for the room or for food expenses that I would have charged back to the room.

Prior to the trip I would use my money to buy one $100 card that they could use. and I would have CM, at check in load the smaller cards to pay for the room or to be used for charges applied to KTTW.

gilesmt said:
Here is what you do, if it is family tell them to give you the receipts.hopefully they can, especially if they know in advance.

Disney policy is you can return gift cards if you have the origin receipts.

Then either in a store or at wdw, return the gifts cards and take the money.

Then and only after you get your money back, buy the gift car with the amount you want on it.
This just seems like an extreme waste of everyone's time, energy, and effort - the gift-giver's, the parent's, the store clerk or CM...

For many, the GC can't be returned, because they were purchased at Target ; )

Also, I don't suggest the buying/returning at the Disney store...you will likely end up with a merchandise credit vs. giftcard that can be used at the parks.

I called recently and was told No, but going to bring my cards (with Target receipts) and ask nicely to see what they say. Worst they can say is no : )

To the OP, if your family needs gift ideas, maybe you should suggest cash in a Disney themed card, and then grandma can say, "This is for your Disney trip!" Then you can take the cash and buy a single card for your child.

There is a 800 # on the back of the cards. Give them a call and they can combine the gift cards for you. We combined 25 $100 gift cards a couple years ago to pay for our room and to take to Disney with us. It took about 10 minutes on the phone.

I have envelopes with each of my girls names on it and keep the gift cards in them. I also have a thing of the pop up tape(the one thats like a inch long) and a mini sharpie - after they use one and if it has a balance left I put a piece of tape on the card and put the amount on the tape with the sharpie. If it gets used again I just peel the tape and put the new amount on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter