considering Ooma? Costco has great BF deal....

My daughter has Ooma at work. Lots and lots of dropped calls. She ends up using her cell phone instead.

My daughter has Ooma at work. Lots and lots of dropped calls. She ends up using her cell phone instead.

Dropped calls is highly dependent on the quality of your internet connection. I haven't had any problem in the last three years of having OOMA.

Dropped calls is highly dependent on the quality of your internet connection. I haven't had any problem in the last three years of having OOMA.
This. I've had it for about 4 years and find that it's more dependable than comcast's own VOIP service. No dropped calls, no echo, and at least $30/month cheaper :thumbsup2.

Dropped calls is highly dependent on the quality of your internet connection.

We have had Ooma for 18 months and I have to agree, we VERY RARELY drop calls. I attribute that to our strong internet connection. Well worth the $3.48/month.

The second best thing about OOMA, 1st is saving $25 per month, is that I changed my phone number when I got the device and now I get no junk calls. I didn't get one political call last election season. Before OOMA I was paying $28 per month for the "privilege" of letting telemarketers interrupt my dinner offering junk.

We bought into Ooma way back when they first came out. Easily 10 yrs go. Never had a dropped call and never had an issue. Luckily our system is so old we don't pay taxes so it costs us nothing.

This. I've had it for about 4 years and find that it's more dependable than comcast's own VOIP service. No dropped calls, no echo, and at least $30/month cheaper :thumbsup2.

:rotfl2:. Don't EVEN get me started on VoIP. I have that at work. That's like comparing bad phone service with worse phone service.

Couldn't even make long distance calls at work yesterday because our VOIP system kept saying every area code was invalid.

I guess the only question for me is why do they even offer traditional land line service any more?

:rotfl2:. Don't EVEN get me started on VoIP. I have that at work. That's like comparing bad phone service with worse phone service.

Couldn't even make long distance calls at work yesterday because our VOIP system kept saying every area code was invalid.

We've been using VoIP systems for years, from different providers, in different states. Never had much of a problem. Right now I have an Obi110 box that connects to a Google Voice phone number. My phone bill is 80cents a month for e911 service.

Tvguy, I think you might be one of those people that technology just acts up around. My Mom is like that. I tell her she must put out some sort of weird energy field that messes with electronics because none of her stuff ever seems to work.

We've been using VoIP systems for years, from different providers, in different states. Never had much of a problem. Right now I have an Obi110 box that connects to a Google Voice phone number. My phone bill is 80cents a month for e911 service.

Tvguy, I think you might be one of those people that technology just acts up around. My Mom is like that. I tell her she must put out some sort of weird energy field that messes with electronics because none of her stuff ever seems to work.

We have an Avaya system at work. No energy field, just what happens when everything corporate buys is the least expensive option, and local managers no longer stand up to corporate when something doesn't work.

My son works in computer IT and he says VoIP system problems are the number one problem his clients have.

I guess the only question for me is why do they even offer traditional land line service any more?
Some people like traditional landline service. Some people want phone service 100% of the time, not just when the internet or the power is working. And some people don't have home internet access.

Some people like traditional landline service. Some people want phone service 100% of the time, not just when the internet or the power is working. And some people don't have home internet access.

When I tree falls on the power lines it is also going to take out your phone service. Generally the phone wires are strung on the same poles. It seems as if other options are more reliable.

Sorry, I didn't realize your question - "...the only question for me is..." wasn't actually a question.

Thanks! I ordered one of these while it was a great price. I love Costco's refund policy in case we don't want it after all.

We have had Ooma for about 7 years now. It used to be free per month but now I pay $3.99/mo for taxes that the govt. imposed.

Our first Hub died but since we bought it from Costco, we were able to return it and replace it without a problem! :thumbsup2 (it was past the 12 month Ooma warrantee.)

We don't use it often, as we mostly use our cell phones, but it is nice to have when we need another phone or to give out to businesses to call so I don't have to deal with calls on my cell for that! :laughing:

OP - thanks for putting this out there. Been talking with the fam all weekend about it since seeing your post (our FIOS bundle contract is up in a couple of weeks and we're already planning to ditch the cable tv component) and I just checked - the Costco $40 off deal expires tonight at midnight. (Good through 12/1, according to their website.)

But, our question is about verifying the link to (enhanced) 911 service. This is truly the primary reason we keep the landline - ensuring medical assistance knows the address we're calling from. Does anyone have experience with Ooma's access to 911 that they'd care to share? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter