Considering DVC purchase

biged9973

Earning My Ears
We are planning our first trip to DW in July 2013 and have a 1 bedroom villa booked for 14 days at Wilderness Lodge. I have started looking at purchasing a DVC contract and think that it may be a better way to go for us. After 2 trips of 14 days it would be $1500 a year.

My concern is that I have already purchased airfare for the trip and was wondering what the chances of getting my same reservation when I am finally able to book, thinking end of December before all is said and done.

Thanks in advance and I'm sure this will be one of many questions I'll be posting.

Ed

I'm new to this too but $1,500 in today's maintenance fees would only get you 1 week of points for a 1BR at VWL.

Seems like a huge outlay for a place you've never been to before. Have you considered renting points for this summer's stay? I don't have experience with that but I'm sure others can give you details.

I'd think you'd almost certainly get a reservation for a 1BR at WDW for July 2013 if you close sometime in Dec but I'd recommend you be open to staying at any resort that has an opening. 1BR's are often the last to book at all resorts so VWL may be available but when you're not booking at 11 months then anything can happen. And a longer stay like 2 weeks means you could run into a day or two that is booked up and requires a move or picking a different resort for the entire stay.

Your are really planning your first trip to Disney? You've never been before? If I were you I would rent points this trip and see if you even like it. Some people find that Disney is just not for them. what if that ends up being you? Also, were you considering buying direct or resale? If buying direct Disney can use their magic to get you just about any reservation you want for the first reservation. If buying resale the process could take about three months and you should be prepared to stay at Saratoga Springs or Old Key West because summer is busy and I would imagine booking not at the 11 month mark may limit some of your choices.

I agree, I would not purchase DVC if I had never been to WDW before. Don't think of the money you are spending on this upcoming trip as money wasted, as you are getting a very nice trip for your money. If you think you could get a better deal, then that is a different story and perhaps you should look at a different booking method. In that case, renting points from an owner might be a more economical way to go.

I too think that thinking about buying DVC before you have even visited WDW once, is a bit premature.

First visit WDW a couple of times, see if it is a place you can see yourself visiting and vacationing every year for a long time.

I first did a DVC info session in 2007, on our third trip. I continued to visit WDW & learn about DVC. In May we stayed at SSR. We bought a resale BCV contract this past summer, a full 5+ years after we first investigated DVC. It isn't anything that needs to be rushed into.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards App please excuse any typos.

I too think that thinking about buying DVC before you have even visited WDW once, is a bit premature.

First visit WDW a couple of times, see if it is a place you can see yourself visiting and vacationing every year for a long time.

I first did a DVC info session in 2007, on our third trip. I continued to visit WDW & learn about DVC. In May we stayed at SSR. We bought a resale BCV contract this past summer, a full 5+ years after we first investigated DVC. It isn't anything that needs to be rushed into.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards App please excuse any typos.

We purchased on our first trip before we left for home. Before that, while we were planning our trip, we had no idea DVC existed. At that time, only OKW, BWV, HHI and VB existed. But you really need to visit first to make sure you like going to WDW. DVC points are best used for DVC resorts.

I should have been more detailed in my question. We have been to Disneyland numerous times but have never been to WDW so I'm sure we'll enjoy the experience.

We are from Western Canada and were thinking that we would bank points one year and then get 2 weeks every other year as travelling will take a day each way, especially going there when we lose 2 hours due to the time change.

The way that I am justifying it to myself is that the cost of the room portion of our upcoming trip would be slightly more than half of the cost of the timeshare.

Thanks for the advice, I have to make sure my wife doesn't read this if I decide that I want to go ahead and buy, you guys sound exactly like her. Logical and reasonable, both things that work against an impulsive person like myself. ;)

I've been to WDW nearly 40 times. just went to DL for the 1st time this summer and really loved it. I'm sure you will enjoy WDW but I still think you need to experience it for yourself before committing to DVC. I don't think you can really be sure where you would most like to stay without seeing the resorts and parks for yourself. And experience getting around at WDW. My DH isn't a huge WDW fan. In many ways he liked DL more. He liked that you could walk everywhere. You really need to see for yourself how big Disneyworld really is.

The way that I am justifying it to myself is that the cost of the room portion of our upcoming trip would be slightly more than half of the cost of the timeshare.

don't forget the annual dues in your cost equation. they can add up (and it might be pretty annoying when you pay them in years that you aren't going to wdw.) :)

definitely check out the pics of the different resorts (and keep the expiration date of the contract in mind - VWL ends in 2042...might be a negative, might suit you). some people coming to wdw from NY have said they prefer OKW to SSR because OKW feels like FL and SSR is a little more like where they are from...maybe a lodge like VWL will feel like a "home away from home" in a good way...

VWL and WL have a similar look to the Grand Californian. Different architectural styles, but still similar.

I should have been more detailed in my question. We have been to Disneyland numerous times but have never been to WDW so I'm sure we'll enjoy the experience.

We are from Western Canada and were thinking that we would bank points one year and then get 2 weeks every other year as travelling will take a day each way, especially going there when we lose 2 hours due to the time change.

Thanks for the advice, I have to make sure my wife doesn't read this if I decide that I want to go ahead and buy, you guys sound exactly like her. Logical and reasonable, both things that work against an impulsive person like myself. ;)

I would definitely rent for this trip as that will still save you money over the cash rate, give you more time to look into DVC and and see how you like WDW in July.

If you went with buying resale now, you would probably be able to book by about the end of Jan provided you were not trying to get a really low price. You'd get a room no problem, just might not be where you want.

We are planning our first trip to DW in July 2013 and have a 1 bedroom villa booked for 14 days at Wilderness Lodge. I have started looking at purchasing a DVC contract and think that it may be a better way to go for us. After 2 trips of 14 days it would be $1500 a year.

My concern is that I have already purchased airfare for the trip and was wondering what the chances of getting my same reservation when I am finally able to book, thinking end of December before all is said and done.

Thanks in advance and I'm sure this will be one of many questions I'll be posting.

Ed

Got to agree with the previous posters who recommended going to WDW several times before considering purchasing a DVC membership. Any potential savings wouldn't be seen for years and purchasing a membership is making a commitment of time and money towards vacationing A LOT at Disney.

No one can tell you for absolute sure that you can get the exact same reservations for the exact same dates. It's probable but not definite.

So, go learn about WDW first during that first trip. At the end of the 14 days, if you can say that you are eager to immediately go back, then sit and think. We went through the DVC presentation during our second visit and spent a year thinking before we pulled the trigger. Thrilled to have the points we have but it certainly does not save us money. We go to Disney a lot more which means more money spent on airfare, tickets, transportation, food, etc... and we have higher expectations when we go on a Disney vacation so we go to better restaurants and treat ourselves to extras that we would have not even thought to purchase before. Funny how those 'nicer' accommodations means that you want the pool side drinks and fancier souvenirs.

I just scrolled down and saw that you have been to Disneyland so you do have some point of reference. All the same though, DL and WDW are like comparing apples to oranges. We started at DL too and have been countless times there and WDW is like DL on steroids. :)

When we decided to buy into DVC, we had already paid off an upcoming vacation package. We closed in early March 2010 and our vacation was in June 2010. When I started the process with Member Services, I bought through Disney, I explained what I had already paid for. I was able to get a 100% refund, as well as they were able to get me into my home resort for the dates we had already booked. Good luck and hopefully Welcome Home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter