Considering Driving - Staying at Kidani

LuvLuvLuv

DIS Veteran
So lots has happened around here in the past few weeks (plus I'm taking a short trip with Mom in March), and I haven't been able to book my flights for May yet. I keep looking at the seats left and there's not many. I'm nervous by the time I have the funds that they'll be sold out or too expensive. We're coming from the Cincinnati area--so it's almost exactly 900 miles. :sad2:

So I threw out the idea of driving to my fiance... He didn't love this idea (but it's also not his $$). We're staying at Kidani Village and I explained it may be nice since it's kind of "out there" and we won't have to play the bus game. We'll also have APs so no paying to park.

We really enjoy not driving for a week, and I'm not even sold on the idea. Here is the cost breakdown:

Flights as of right now on the cheapest day: $478 (for two of us)
---This will be going up soon I'm sure

Luggage: $75 (one bag checked down--two checked back)

--------

Or:

Estimated 3 tanks of gas down, 3 back, and 1 while there: 420ish
((he doesn't want to take his g6, so we'll take my equinox--g6 would be much cheaper))
Plus food stops: 60ish

The difference isn't vast as of right now, but the availability by April may be rough.

Does anyone swear by driving? Love it? Hate it? Good idea when staying at AKV? Is it really a timesaver?? I haven't done the park tram thing since I was weeee little. Any feedback would be great!!

Kidani is great if you're driving as parking access is easy - just take the elevator down to the garage. Honestly we've stopped using Disney transport for just about everyhing except MK. Its not really that bad to a walk from the parking lot to the gate at the other places - especially if you're there early. We don't even bother with the trams usually.

We drive every year from Canada. We're close to Buffalo. Loooooove the drive ! I call it family bonding ! 22 hours can really make a family grow closer together ....at least that's the plan :lmao: There's me, DW, and 2 DS.
I do all the driving. We stop in Georgia for the night and then another 6 ish hours to the World. We drive our Sante Fe. Might be a little bigger than the Equinox but same idea. It's not that bad a drive. Coming home is another story. Everyone sleeps except ME :scared1:

We go for two weeks though so I have a little extra time to unwind !

$478 round trip for both of you sounds pretty good. You said you were in the Cincinnati area...are you South of Cincy and maybe close enough to Louisville to use SouthWest or Northeast and close enough to Columbus? We use SW when we fly out of Nashville and the rates for May flying out of Louisville are as low as $103pp per trip so $206 plus the fees RT and Columbus is $109/$218 RT. The bags are free so you could possibly save a couple hundred that way. From Middle TN we have about a 5 hour head start on you and we have done both but much prefer to fly and then use Disney transportation. Probably no help if Louisville or Columbus is too far from where you are. :goodvibes

EDIT: Duh, I see you're from Florence, KY so probably at least an hour from Louisville so it may not be worth driving and long term parking to fly out of Louisville.

Mostly we fly, but sometimes we drive because we love road trips! Our driving distance is about 960 miles.

You don't mention lodging in a driving budget - are you planning to make the drive straight through? Depending on your own driving stamina, that could leave you very tired even as you arrive! We usually count on a day and a half of driving. Often when driving we'll leave immediately after work on Friday, drive for 5-6 hours, spend the night in a roadside hotel, then drive all through the next day to arrive for a latish dinner.

I do say that, with the exception of the Magic Kingdom, it's quicker to drive anywhere than to take a bus. (AP or not, you're staying at a Disney Resort and thus will not have to pay for parking.) That said, quite a few prefer the more carefree option of Disney Transportation!

The last two years I have met a friend at Disney who came from Missouri. The first year he drove and the second year he flew.

He said driving was a far better option just so he didn't have to deal with all the airport drama.

That was his take after experiencing both options. But I will warn you he had use of a car when he flew because I was there in my car. So he didn't deal with the buses either way.

That said, quite a few prefer the more carefree option of Disney Transportation!

I wish I had had the Disney bus experiences that were "carefree" :rotfl2: We've just gotten to where the potential for a negative experiences outweighs any negative of driving. Granted its not always negative, but I know ahead what to expect with driving - especially when we're at a car parking friendly place like BCV, Kidani or OKW.

IF we do drive... we would be going straight thru. It's just him and I... I'm used to road trips to Pittsburgh to see family (4 1/2) -- and lots of other places up to 8 hours to see my friends race stock cars. So I know I'll be good for half the trip, and he's a pretty good driver too. He can sleep through anything... I however can't. I don't want to be overly tired, but we have a simple day planned on Saturday anyway. Lunch at the Plaza and dinner at Captain's Grille, possibly going to see Fantasmic after and going to bed.

As far as our "bonding" goes. We each have lots of opinions on each other's driving, :rotfl2:. If we arrive at WDW still engaged it may be a miracle. Plus I know how I am... I'll want to stop at my little fudge place in Tennessee... and if it's breakfast/lunch time and we pass my friend's place in Georgia... I'll wanna stop, etc.. etc.... we may never get there!!

The flight prices really aren't that bad right now... but I've just paid for a March trip for my mom and I (my treat since we're looking at wedding stuff), the 1 BR villa for May (rented points), medical stuff (ugh), and I have to get an AP when I go in March--- I'm running out of $$ :( Definately won't be able to book a flight until I get back after March 21. The price will either skyrocket or their won't be any seats left :( That's how my luck is.

Thanks for all your responses... I'd love to hear more as well!

We had a great time driving. We do enjoy a good road trip though :) We drove from Madison, WI ...so about 22 hours and we drove straight through with our 2 and 5 year old. It wasn't bad with the kids actually either. We are planning to do it again in October. I think if you are thinking about it, why not give it a try to see if it would work for you for future trips. You will likely come out ahead $ wise. Just my opinion :)

Fly now since its only the two of you and its far less taxing to get there. You can start driving when you've got a few kids and it cost half as much to drive than fly.

We are considering driving in 2 years for our next trip from PA. With 3 kids, I'm not sure how it will go. We are already talking it up to them about what an adventure it will be, so we'll see how it goes. It's about 20 hours. My plan would be to drive as much as possible on day 1, maybe 8-10 hours, with stops every few hours. stay overnight and then finish up the next day. It's the drive home I'm worried about....if they don't enjoy the ride down, they will be miserable the whole way home.

I remember us driving from PA every year when I was little. This was in a Pontiac Sunbird with no AC. I remember they had the windows down and it was raining--I was soaked in the back seat--and I just cried, lol. I guess I vision that and I'm a little scarred from it---but that was also in the late 80s early 90s, lol.

We always drive. However, we only have an 8 to 10 hour drive. In 2009, we drove and stayed at Kindani. Its always nice to have your car available if you need it, you can pack as much at you would like, and its convenient to simply drive to AKL from Kindani To Mara (quickservice) and Jiko and Boma (tableservice). But I find taking the bus to and from the parks is easier than driving, parking, traming, catching the monorail to MK or driving, parking, and traming to the other parks. The buses always drop you at the front entrance to each park. The bus rides were simple and quick from AKL. They actually seemed to take a little longer from the BC (where we stayed in 2010). My family loved our stays at both Kindani :love:and BC:love::love:. I would not hesitate to stay again at either one. Parking for a dinner reservation was easy at the Contemporary but a huge hassel at the Grand Floridian. At GF, the parking lot is across a busy highway and quiet a hike when you are hungry. If you decide to dine at GF, I would take a bus to MK and catch THE RESORT monrail to GF or the Fairy to GF. The Fairy is the most pleasant. If you decide to drive, you will receive a parking pass at Kindani that will allow you to park free at all of the parks. Its a perk for staying at a WDW resort.:)

I wish I had had the Disney bus experiences that were "carefree" :rotfl2:

Heeheehee, just trying to put myself in other's shoes! ;) Ourselves, we typically have a rental car and mostly drive, though we do occasionally bus it.

Glad that Disney Transportation is there for when it's really needed (such as splitting up). "Disney Transportation will get you where you need to go, sometimes quickly and always at least eventually."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter