Considering Cancelling Trip for 09/03

Rufus0415

Earning My Ears
I really am a little conflicted right now. I want to go ahead with our trip, it has been scheduled for over 18 months, but seeing all the devistation on the news is making this trip seem frivilouse (sp?)

We will be driving down I-20 through Lousiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. I have heard rumors of fuel outages in those states. Do I risk taking my family through that or should we cancel and try to re-schedule for early next year. We bought the trip insurance so I think I could get back most of what I have spent.

Is anyone else proceeding with there trips regardless of this issues.

Rufus0415 :confused3

Don't let this ruin your trip go and have fun there are enough people worrying about this without adding one more. If I had a trip planned I would be going it will also help to get your mind off of it if even just for a short time. No need to feel guilty or anything there was nothing you or anyone else could have done to prevent this from occuring.

:moped:
It's important you still go on your trip. You've probably been planning for months and it would be so disappointing for you to cancel.

Go and enjoy. If you need rationalization for it: It may be the last time you get to Disney...so enjoy it while you can! :goodvibes

I would still go if I were you. Just so long as you stay on I-20 versus dropping down to I-10, I think you'll be fine on the fuel issue. It is a bit out of your way and you will be moving in a northern direction on I-20 in Alabama, but then you will stay out of the way of the affected areas.

Carol

Go, enjoy... I am sure of those people in Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana could, they would tell you to enjoy each day as if it is your last... that is my motto!!!!

We live in Alabama near I-20. Gas prices just hit $2.99 today. A lot of stations are out of low grade but have mid and high grade. Atlanta had a gas panic yesterday with prices going up to $6.00- but I believe the gov declared it illegal to have prices higher than the average so they had to go back down to $3.00- still I would make sure to keep your tank full before and around the Atlanta area if you are going by I-20 or I-75.
Llagow :earsboy: :earsgirl: pirate: princess:

I live in Alabama near I-20 also and just cancelled my trip to Destin. Gas is running low. You have to remember that there are ALOT of evacuees driving thru this state and relief workers coming thru. They all have to get gas too. I can't say go or don't but I would say make sure you have a full tank of gas before entering Alabama and fill up again before you get near I-10 in FL which is another area full of this type travel.
My husband just came home from Destin and they were running out of gas in that area, the Montgomery area is running out so it was in our best interest to cancel our trip.
If you go, have fun!
I hope things get better before our December trip.

I live in LA and gas is getting scarce here as well. I thank God I'm a stay at home mom so that if necessary, my DH or DSs can use my vehicle should they not be able to refuel.

After seeing the horrible destruction and having some refugees staying at our church, I can say that I would not have the heart to go. I do NOT, however, feel that you should cancel your trip. Go, thank God for something fun and bright during this horrible time. Make a donation if you want to. Other than praying, that's all you can do.

LMC
This is a bit off the Dis topic but.. we too are due to go to the Distin area on the 24th of this month (Topsail Hill State Park) and wonder if we should. We don't want to be taking up fuel, water, supplies and space from people who really need it. I also want to have enough gas to get there and back. We would probably come down I-65, close to your area, to Montgomery then take 331 south.
Any advice is appreciated.
Pete.

Pete:
This is way OT, not trying to kill the original thread but to address Pete's concern.....
Topsail is where we were going to stay!! It was to be our first trip there and I was looking forward to it. I think the facilities there and grounds are good to go. I only cancelled due to the gasoline issues. My DH was already down there with the camper and the vehicle that gets 7 MPG while towing and I was to take the other truck. We would have to get both vehicles back and I was VERY concerned about the fuel.
Not so much the $$$ but the shortages. We do have alot of gas stations in Alabama that are running out and it is taking a while to get them re-filled. Some stations have a 10 gallon maximum. In a car like mine 10 gallons doesn't do much!
We are serviced out of the Plantation Pipe line and I don't know if it is running yet. There are shortages all over due to the large number of people traveling thru the state. I do know that South of Montgomery on I-65 gas is a rare find. My DH just went to Mississippi with a friend to pull the guys parents out of Biloxi and they had to take their own gas supply.
Please feel free to email me closer to your trip and I will be happy to tell you what they are saying about the supplies around my state.
One more thing, my DH did come home two days early from Destin (he was there on business) due to them running out of fuel (they are on the I-10 corridor).

Rufus0415 said:
Is anyone else proceeding with there trips regardless of this issues.

My trip isn't til October and I'm flying not driving so I understand that I'm in a different position than you BUT...if everyone cancels their trips to WDW then that puts a lot of FL folks out of work. Haven't they already been hurt by huricanes? I don't think they need an economic hit because of this one too. Maybe I'm just rationalizing because I still want to go. I will go in October and enjoy some much needed time with my family and make a donation to the relief efforts.

I am certainly not saying everyone should cancel their trips. I just know from my husbands personal experience that there was (maybe still is) a fuel shortage in the FL panhandle as he had to return two days early from a business trip due to stations running out of gas. This was the only reason we cancelled our family trip to the beach.

We are going to WDW in December come he!! or high water! So they better get the fuel in the stations.

lovesdumbo said:
My trip isn't til October and I'm flying not driving so I understand that I'm in a different position than you BUT...if everyone cancels their trips to WDW then that puts a lot of FL folks out of work. Haven't they already been hurt by huricanes? I don't think they need an economic hit because of this one too. Maybe I'm just rationalizing because I still want to go. I will go in October and enjoy some much needed time with my family and make a donation to the relief efforts.

All the stations I'm seeing in the Orlando area have gas now and the prices are beginning to come back down a little. We got gas on Sunday--the one right before Labor Day--at the WalMart closest to Disney for 2.82 a gallon with the WalMart gift card. It ranges from 2.85 to 3.05 in other stations around town.

We didn't cancel our trip for Labor Day weekend and had no gas problems once we got off I-10. Gas was $2.99 for regular though. I live on Panama City Beach and we have no fuel at many of our stations though. My DH runs a large piece of equipment for a living and has not been able to buy off-road diesel in a couple of days. He is having to use regular dieses fuel which is about $.30 more a gallon.
They say we have about 30,000 evacuees in this area. I am just happy that they have somewhere to go that welcomes them with open arms. The outpouring has been wonderful here and in Destin.

I live in St. Charles Parish in Louisiana. It is 20 to 30 miles west of New Orleans. We were lucky because we got the western edge (weaker side) of the storm. So we only got minimal damage. Here in St. Charles we have two major gas refineries that produce a major portion of our nations supply. The storm shut them down but they are both back up and running at near to full capacity. I'm not sure about price changes because of this but I know for certain it will greatly improve availability of gas. This situation can only get better as time goes along. By the way, my family has a Disney vacation planned for November. We have absolutely NO PLANS of canceling. Well just have to go around the bad roads. I hope you decide to go and your family has a great and magical time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter