Considering a Christmas trip to WDW: anyone else?

I don’t think any of the policies - Manulife Covid, CAA or Tour+Med cover us. I did a deep dive on all 3 and they all exclude travel advisory coverage in the fine print.

I found this on the CAA site. It is an add on to the update from March for travel insurance. To me this means they will cover as long as you have 2 shots
https://www.caasco.com/-/media/caas...dual-Level-3-Travel-Advisory-EN-June-2021.pdf
But on that link, the very first section is about Travel Advisories. Today the government issued avoid non-essential travel. That would mean the claim would be disqualified for Covid 19 benefits

Situations where your claim will not be paid  An official travel advisory was issued by the Canadian government stating “Avoid non-essential travel or Avoid all travel” regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your effective date. o This exclusion does not apply to claims for an emergency or a medical condition unrelated to the travel advisory. o This exclusion does not apply to emergency medical insurance claims when: i. the travel advisory stating “Avoid non-essential travel” is in effect and is due to COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2), and ii. you have received at least one Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccination at least 14 days prior to your departure date (except where you do not meet the minimum age requirements for a COVID-19 vaccination, as defined by Health

Yup. The feds announced a nothing policy, but negated most of our travel insurance in one fell swoop. Fun times.

I don’t think any of the policies - Manulife Covid, CAA or Tour+Med cover us. I did a deep dive on all 3 and they all exclude travel advisory coverage in the fine print.
I think you are 100% correct. The Avoid All Non-Essential Travel issued by the government today is kicking in the exclusions. It would be helpful if the insurance companies would post updates on their websites or social media accounts. They know if the situation Canada is now in would be excluded from a claim or not for a Covid 19 medical situation abroad. The wait times on the phone are horrible and we all have the same question

BlueCross Ontario as well has it under the exclusions section under Law and government on the policy anyone can look at on their website. I don't know. If Canadians really want to travel and be covered medically for a Covid 19 travel related situation, everyone needs to start reaching out to their MP's to do something ASAP about this.

We called manulife and they don’t seem to know anything at this point. Will try again tomorrow morning but thinking for $400 we were quoted the caa policy would be a good back up plan B.
We spoke to CAA today. we were told that the medical insurance remains in place and unchanged, but the cancellation/interruption would not cover covid related issues (needing to cancel due to a positive test or quarantine) because of the advisory.

But on that link, the very first section is about Travel Advisories. Today the government issued avoid non-essential travel. That would mean the claim would be disqualified for Covid 19 benefits

Situations where your claim will not be paid  An official travel advisory was issued by the Canadian government stating “Avoid non-essential travel or Avoid all travel” regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your effective date. o This exclusion does not apply to claims for an emergency or a medical condition unrelated to the travel advisory. o This exclusion does not apply to emergency medical insurance claims when: i. the travel advisory stating “Avoid non-essential travel” is in effect and is due to COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2), and ii. you have received at least one Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccination at least 14 days prior to your departure date (except where you do not meet the minimum age requirements for a COVID-19 vaccination, as defined by Health

The manulife rep I spoke to explained it as an exclusion, meaning these are situations where you will not be covered but it excludes Covid 19 related issues. He said because of this clause, we are covered. I’m sorry, it’s hard to explain in writing but he explained it very well. From what I understand, and he confirmed, the manulife policy provides us coverage under the current advisory as it (Covid 19) is excluded from the section of what is not covered.

The manulife rep I spoke to explained it as an exclusion, meaning these are situations where you will not be covered but it excludes Covid 19 related issues. He said because of this clause, we are covered. I’m sorry, it’s hard to explain in writing but he explained it very well. From what I understand, and he confirmed, the manulife policy provides us coverage under the current advisory as it (Covid 19) is excluded from the section of what is not covered.
Is what you are saying, essentially that if a travel 3 or 4 advisory were put out for a reason other than Covid, then exclusion would apply. But since it’s related to Covid, that the Covid medical insurance still applies?

I read and took the part that says
o Thisexclusiondoesnotapplytoemergencymedicalinsuranceclaimswhen:
i. the travel advisory stating “Avoid non-essential travel” is in effect and is due to
COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2), and
ii. you have received at least one Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccination at
least 14 days prior to your departure date (except where you do not meet the minimum age requirements for a COVID-19 vaccination, as defined by Health Canada).
to mean we would be covered for emergency medical even if it relates to Covid as long as we are vaccinated.

ahh I’m so confused. We will be sitting on the phone with manulife first thing tomorrow as we are supposed to leave Saturday bright and early. I will also call CAA to confirm. I’m not worried about trip interruption insurance as much as I am the emergency medical. After our 2016 accident and many hundreds of thousands in medical bills (that were thankfully covered by insurance) I will never travel without emergency medical insurance

eta the link also goes onto the 2nd page to add maximum benefit to be paid when ‘avoid non essential travel’ is i effect to 2.5 million for Covid related illness when you have 1 dose and 5 million if you have 2 doses

Yes, the CAA fine print in the policy looks bleak. HOWEVER, the email my policy was sent in references and links to the policy endorsement which clearly covers Level 3 "avoid non essential travel". In fact, if you just read the policy, it isn't updated to include covid at all, all those details are in the policy additions.

I’m thinking to cancel my Manulife CoverMe insurance and purchasing Bluecross insurance.
Looks like the Manulife Coverme doesn’t cover Covid related medical claims if the travel advisory is level 3 (avoid non essential travel).
Looks like only the cruise and destinations in part of cuise trip is covered, ONLY if you are vaccinated. I’m attaching the fine print.

Could anyone correct me if I’m wrong on this?

Please see SECTION 8 – Emergency Medical Exclusions & Limitations from the policy.

#25 states exception to the exclusion list… indication that it will cover you for covid related claims for cruise trips, during the avoid non-essential travel advisory, if you are vaccinated. On the other hand, #26 shows the same statement as #25 but does not include exception statement… meaning that you will not be covered during the avoid non-essential travel advisory, regardless of vaccination, if your travel does not include cruise (e.g. just a trip to Florida).

coverme.com/content/dam/affinity/coverme/english/documents/coverme-covid-19-pandemic-travel-plan-policy.pdf

25. Any act of terrorism or any medical condition you suffer or contract when an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada states, "Avoid all non-essential travel" regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your effective date.
To view the travel advisories, visit the Government of Canada Travel site. For claims due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), this exclusion does not apply.
Exception: Treatment for Coronavirus (COVID-19) and related complications that you suffer or contract while you are on a cruise or any destination included in your cruise itinerary is not covered if you have not received the vaccine.
This exception does not apply to children 11 years old or younger who are not eligible to receive the vaccine, when travelling with at least one parent or guardian on the same cruise booking who has received the vaccine.
For claims not due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), this exclusion does not apply if your medical condition is unrelated to the travel advisory.
26. Any act of terrorism or any medical condition you suffer or contract when an official travel advisory issued by the Government of Canada states, "Avoid all travel" regarding the country, region or city of your destination, before your effective date.
To view the travel advisories, visit the Government of Canada Travel site.
This exclusion does not apply to claims for any medical condition unrelated to the travel advisory.

When I open my manulife policy I see this . Which says all travel ( not non essential ) so is it a technicality on they can deem what’s non essential ? And refuse at last min ?
it also looks like it might depend on when you purchased insurance ?
I’m so confused. And Trudeau and all of the now is not the time lesves me wondering scared there is another announcement coming that they already have planned for..
2045E91B-E62B-4447-843B-79B4CD91399F.png

I read and took the part that says
o Thisexclusiondoesnotapplytoemergencymedicalinsuranceclaimswhen:
i. the travel advisory stating “Avoid non-essential travel” is in effect and is due to
COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2), and
ii. you have received at least one Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccination at
least 14 days prior to your departure date (except where you do not meet the minimum age requirements for a COVID-19 vaccination, as defined by Health Canada).
to mean we would be covered for emergency medical even if it relates to Covid as long as we are vaccinated.

ahh I’m so confused. We will be sitting on the phone with manulife first thing tomorrow as we are supposed to leave Saturday bright and early. I will also call CAA to confirm. I’m not worried about trip interruption insurance as much as I am the emergency medical. After our 2016 accident and many hundreds of thousands in medical bills (that were thankfully covered by insurance) I will never travel without emergency medical insurance

eta the link also goes onto the 2nd page to add maximum benefit to be paid when ‘avoid non essential travel’ is i effect to 2.5 million for Covid related illness when you have 1 dose and 5 million if you have 2 doses
My husband gave up on the phone after 3 hours trying to get through to Manulife. He will try again today and will ask specifically about travel related exclusions due to Covid 19 travel exclusions. Will post if he gets some answers

I wonder if that is for insureds who purchased before the travel advisory was issued, or will apply to those who purchased after the travel advisory was posted and issued?
I just purchased it now as a back up and the email still states you are covered with the advisory.

I just purchased it now as a back up and the email still states you are covered with the advisory.
Was it just the regular travel insurance package you got? Or is there a special Covid 19 coverage included package you saw online that I am not seeing? Sorry for being a bother!!

I hope nobody will be put in the situation where they hope or think their insurance will cover any covid related issues.In the meantime,they will be happy to collect money for" insurance".

Was it just the regular travel insurance package you got? Or is there a special Covid 19 coverage included package you saw online that I am not seeing? Sorry for being a bother!!
No worries. We need to help each other :). If you scroll to previous posts there is one by canuksrock that is a copy and paste and exactly what was sent to me in my email.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter