Conservative Thread: We cannot do everything at once, but we can do something at once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys think my siggie is offensive? I've had a few posters tell me that it is.

The whole story: I was inspired to adopt my new siggie after seeing an Australian politcal cartoon.

t_=153712491

I was touched by how one of our allies showed deep appreciation for our military heroes. I figured if they could do that, then I could at least adopt a new sig based on the cartoon. That seemed to be an appropriate way to honor veterans as Veterans Day approached earlier this month. I haven't been moved to change it even though the holiday has passed.

I am proud of our heroes currently serving in the military, and of the history of bravery and commitment to freedom that women and men in the armed forces have shown throughout this nation's history.

Apparently some folks find my sig offensive because it overstates US involvement in history. Now dumb ol' me... I thought it to be a beautiful tribute from one of our allies. My intentions are pure. I only wish to say something honorable about our veterans.

I hope you don't change your sig. I think it is a very nice tribute to the brave men and woman who have served in the military and are serving right now. I say that if some don't like it......too bad.

:cool1:

Do you guys think my siggie is offensive? I've had a few posters tell me that it is.

The whole story: I was inspired to adopt my new siggie after seeing an Australian politcal cartoon.

t_=153712491

I was touched by how one of our allies showed deep appreciation for our military heroes. I figured if they could do that, then I could at least adopt a new sig based on the cartoon. That seemed to be an appropriate way to honor veterans as Veterans Day approached earlier this month. I haven't been moved to change it even though the holiday has passed.

I am proud of our heroes currently serving in the military, and of the history of bravery and commitment to freedom that women and men in the armed forces have shown throughout this nation's history.

Apparently some folks find my sig offensive because it overstates US involvement in history. Now dumb ol' me... I thought it to be a beautiful tribute from one of our allies. My intentions are pure. I only wish to say something honorable about our veterans.

Freedom of speech includes the freedom to offend.
However, by not including "and her allies" I believe you reinforce some of the misconceptions held by many of your compatriots.

ford family

Zip, I'm not offended by your sig at all. The truth is, we've been instrumental in helping a lot of countries.
Should you want to add something like "and her allies" that's up to you, but don't remove your signature.

Happy Thanksgiving, ya'll!

My gosh, you guys are chatty. Sheesh!

On topic: I refuse to be politically correct. What's the point? You'll always offend someone. As the saying goes, "You can't please all the people all of the time". :confused3

As for calling obama 'h', I find it to be non-offensive. But I can call him bo...after all, his policies stink. :laughing:

Well, my first inclination is to use the abbreviation BO for him. I just use intitals a lot when typing here. :confused3 Back during the primaries the OS had coniptions about BO. I tried BHO and that didn't work. So I am flummoxed as to which initials would be acceptable in their sight. Honestly, I'm about done trying. I don't give a flip if his middle name is Hussein, or if BO happens to be a silly acronymn for body odor. I just don't want to type out his whole name every time I refer to him. I'm trying to mix in "44" in some of my posts now (even though I'd like to hold off on that until he is actually POTUS). I'm sure there will be some problem with that too though. :rolleyes:

Well, my first inclination is to use the abbreviation BO for him. I just use intitals a lot when typing here. :confused3 Back during the primaries the OS had coniptions about BO. I tried BHO and that didn't work. So I am flummoxed as to which initials would be acceptable in their sight. Honestly, I'm about done trying. I don't give a flip if his middle name is Hussein, or if BO happens to be a silly acronymn for body odor. I just don't want to type out his whole name every time I refer to him. I'm trying to mix in "44" in some of my posts now (even though I'd like to hold off on that until he is actually POTUS). I'm sure there will be some problem with that too though. :rolleyes:
They're not going to be happy unless you call him His Ultimate Royal Highness President The One Messiah Whose Poop Does Not Stinketh Barrack Non-Muslim Hussein Obama.

Zip, I'm not offended by your sig at all. The truth is, we've been instrumental in helping a lot of countries.
Should you want to add something like "and her allies" that's up to you, but don't remove your signature.

I like, "Countries set free, courtesy of assistance from the USA:".

Try PE 44.;)

Freedom of speech includes the freedom to offend.
However, by not including "and her allies" I believe you reinforce some of the misconceptions held by many of your compatriots.

ford family

I am also proud that America's allies have fought alongside our soldiers in so many cases, and do not with to offend my omission. I will change my signature to reflect that. May I invite you to make it your signature as well?

I think this notion is very puzzling. Hussein is his middle name. If he were offended by it, he's had the option to change it all of these years. He wouldn't be the first political figure to alter his name for the sake of electability... ask Gary Hart. Since he hasn't, you can infer that he's "OK" with it. "Hussein" also isn't in the same league as other infamous "one name" tyrants. You say "Hussein" and I'll say "Which one?" It doesn't have the same immediate identification as does names like "Hitler", "Stalin", "Mussolini", "Mao", etc. There's also nothing wrong with "W"... it's not until you change it to "Dubya" it becomes derogatory.

Have you heard of President William Blythe III?
How about President Leslie Lynch King, Jr.?
Both Bill Clinton and Gerald Ford changed their names.

Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor, Jr. changed his name. (Kareem Abdul Jabbar).
Cat Stevens changed his name. (Yusuf Islam).
Cassius Clay changed his name. (Muhammad Ali).

People change their names all the time for a variety of reasons.

If Mr. Obama doesn't have a problem with his middle name, he would've changed it. Since he doesn't have a problem with it, why do the OS?

I have no problem that his middle name is "Hussein." I would have no problem if it were "Steve" or "Sue."

Perhaps those that don't like when someone mentions Mr. Obama's middle name have their own personal issue they're projecting onto others and try to cover it up by protesting? :confused3

Methinks the OS doth protest too much.

I got it...wow. :sad1: :scared1:

DH is passing kidney stones right now so my TV isn't on and I'm only on the laptop intermittently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter