• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Conservation Education Presenter

rachaelfig

Mouseketeer
Has anyone done this PI? It's the Kids Discovery Club one, and I'm looking into applying for it next semester. I really wanted to do the Conservation Education one (that has the guest/adult/community education options) but I guess they just made it so you had to have previously done an Animal Programs PI. It sucks, but maybe they'll change it back before it's time to apply.. I applied for it last spring, but withdrew my application after my interview because I realized I had to be at school.

Anyway, I would just love to hear anyone's experiences with the Kids Discovery Club, and if someone could direct me to a blog that would be awesome. Thanks!

I did the PI 2 years ago, Fall 2008 from June-Jan and was kept on as seasonal till Feb while the new interns trained!

What I loved about it..the Kids Clubs or KDC's and working parade control (which I'm told they don't do anymore!). I loved the Harambe School where we had to teach guests about some African Animals.

What I didn't love..the animal locations and speeches which were repetitve. They were always big on selling what you have to show which is not me at all. If I wanted to "sell" something, I would have went into marketing/business, not education so that frustrated some of us! It wasn't my personality to stand in the middle of the street for a guest to stop by and look at a bird. Not sure if they've changed that or not.

Otherwise the job was great. I never had an issue with my manager or core-team members. We got to pick our ideal choices of days off. Mine were Fri/Sat and then as some team members quick, I asked to switch to Sun/Mon to car pool with girls that lived in the same complex at me which was granted! You will have the set days off and if you need a weekend off (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon) you can ask to switch with those who have them off. I never had an issue of getting Fri/Sat off/switched with another intern.

I don't think any of us did the laundry service at the costuming location. We had a washer/dryer in the townhouse I lived in, so it was easy to throw them all in the wash and not deal with going to costuming, especially since it wasn't on AK property.

You will also have set hours which is gold for any disney job! I think we worked from 8:15-5:15 with an hour unpaid lunch (most bought their lunches. I'd buy on pay-day). We got a set 40 hours a week and if you are tight on $$ they won't offer any OT because of the set hours. You are able to pick up parade shifts or any other jobs that don't need special training on your days off.

The rotations we were given changed every day. I think they had rotations A-L when I was there. The roatations will go speedy quick, you have to be at your location on time and they will stress that so friends can get their breaks/lunches!

Your training will take a week and 1/2-2 weeks. We saw every little inch of AK park including the rides! We got to ride Safari twice which was awesome! We rode it once with a manager and then again with the speech. We also did training behind the scenes at Epcot at The Land which was fun too! We didn't do any training at AKL. The backstage area at AK will be huge and confusing but after a few weeks you will breeze right through it! Your job title is education presenter but you are also the unofficial guest relations person/park map/times guide!!

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions. Overall I liked the job, could I do it forever..no but I still had a great experience and LOVE my team members who I still keep in contact with and have reunions with!

I was a CP at Tough to be a Bug/Festival of the Lion King so I'm super familiar with the park and backstage, so that should be fine. I'm also a pro at selling my shows - we used to stand in the intersection in front of the queue and shout at people to make them come see the show. Or just form lines and redirect people into the queue. Good times..

I do have a few questions though - if you have 40 hours already then are you allowed to pick up shifts on EHH that would put you into overtime? A CP from the season before me who became a PI liked to pick up shifts people gave away but she always needed them to be overtime. Aaaaaand I had another question but it's gone now. I'll just remember later.

But it's awesome that you had the job, and thanks Pidginpea for finding the blog! It was pretty helpful.
Now I guess I just have to wait till application time rolls around!

I was a CP at Tough to be a Bug/Festival of the Lion King so I'm super familiar with the park and backstage, so that should be fine. I'm also a pro at selling my shows - we used to stand in the intersection in front of the queue and shout at people to make them come see the show. Or just form lines and redirect people into the queue. Good times..

I do have a few questions though - if you have 40 hours already then are you allowed to pick up shifts on EHH that would put you into overtime? A CP from the season before me who became a PI liked to pick up shifts people gave away but she always needed them to be overtime. Aaaaaand I had another question but it's gone now. I'll just remember later.

But it's awesome that you had the job, and thanks Pidginpea for finding the blog! It was pretty helpful.
Now I guess I just have to wait till application time rolls around!

I worked as a CP at BBB and I took extra shifts now and then. I don't think it mattered because they came from two different cost centers or something like that. I would get paid differently from BBB (less money) than from the PI. The PI paid me like $10 an hour and at BBB I would get $7.25 or something like that so I think because of the cost centers being different locations I was allowed. I never had a problem doing extra hours that way.

Good luck!

I'm doing the Conservation Education at the Seas. I know it's a bit different than the Animal Kingdom one. However, mine isn't Alum and there's one at DAK that's not alumni. Even though it's different, you're welcome to check out my blog as well (link in my signiture). I'm pretty good about updating regularly too :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter