• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Consent letter for children traveling abroad?

bababear_50

DIS Veteran
My son and daughter inlaw have filled this form out and I was wondering
who can act as a witness?

There is a place for them to sign ( signature of person giving consent)

Witness______________.

A place for me to sign as the (signature of accompanying person)

Witness_____________.

Any help would be appreciated

Edited to add
She(grand daughter is 7 years old)
She has a passport

Hugs Mel:santa:

I just checked with the Canadian government website about this and here is what they say:

We strongly recommend that you have the consent letter certified, stamped or sealed by an official who has the authority to administer an oath or solemn declaration, e.g., a commissioner for oaths, notary public or lawyer, so that the validity of the letter will not be questioned. Note that regulations concerning the administration of oaths fall under provincial/territorial law and are not determined by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. Furthermore, it is up to each official/individual who witnesses such a letter to decide what proof he/she needs to see to be able to witness/sign the letter. An official should only witness/sign a letter of consent if he/she is convinced that the individual requesting the letter is who he/she claims to be and that adequate proof has been provided.

Canadian children need appropriate documentation to travel abroad, including the following:
•
Canadian passport

•
Consent letter confirming that the child has permission to travel abroad (e.g. when taking a trip alone or with only one parent).

•
Supporting identification, such as a birth certificate or citizenship card.

•
Other legal documents, such as divorce papers, custody court orders or a death certificate (if one parent is deceased).

Canada requirements are more stringent than US so if you satisfy Canadian authorities the US should be fine.

Hope this helps!

Call around to a few of your local home town lawyer's offices. Many here in our home town will notarize a travel consent letter for free, others charge for the service. You may be able to find someone to do it for free.

I just had a letter signed by a Commission of Oaths at our lawyers for $10, our county commissioner wanted $18.

Thanks for all your help
I am going to try my lawyers office this week although with it being Christmas break they may be away.
Hugs Mel

if they're not open, try another lawyer, it's usually one of the secretaries that is the commissioner or you can pay the lawyer to notarize it, but it will probably cost you more (our lawyer charges $30 to notarize something). You can also call your county or city hall office & see if one of their commissioner's is in.

I got one when I went to a Bills game and I'm glad i did because they asked to see it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter