Connecting via Toronto or Montreal--which would you rather?

coastgirl

DIS Veteran
The AM flights I am considering go through either Toronto or Mtl. I have only annoying-to-bad experiences with Toronto customs (congested and not well managed). No experience with Mtl at all. (Unless you count New Year's Eve 1990 when we ran around in circles trying to find our connecting gate...but a lot can change in 22 years!!)

So, what are your feelings about either of those airports to connect through to MCO?

The AM flights I am considering go through either Toronto or Mtl. I have only annoying-to-bad experiences with Toronto customs (congested and not well managed). No experience with Mtl at all. (Unless you count New Year's Eve 1990 when we ran around in circles trying to find our connecting gate...but a lot can change in 22 years!!)

So, what are your feelings about either of those airports to connect through to MCO?

I like Montreal. I've had flight delays through there, and extra security, but I find it easier because you don't have to wait for your bags to go through customs. They show you a picture of your bag, you don't need it with you. :thumbsup2 They also let us bypass the customs line because of the time I got stuck with extra security screening; they sent us through the crew lines I think. :blush: Then they had the plane held for us to get there.

Where are you flying from? We'd totally rather change planes in NY, Chicago, Houston, Boston, Atlanta or basically ANYWHERE stateside than YYZ or YUL.
(From here in the west to Florida we usually end up routed through Denver, Dallas or Minneapolis, depending on the airline.)

Flying from Halifax/YHZ ronandannette. YES, I agree, would much rather fly direct to any US airport but can't do it with Air Miles from Halifax. (Theoretically there are flights on US carriers that go through BOS or EWR, but they never come up.)

Disneyfreak, they show you a picture of your bag? I kinda want to see how that works! Must be better than dragging bags around YYZ in a panic to get through customs and make a connection.

I know you said flying with an American carrier isn't an option for you this time, but if it ever is I really don't recommend it out of Halifax. I've done it twice now, once US Airways & once United, and had TERRIBLE experiences both times. Apparently American pilots don't have the same training for flying during fog as Canadian pilots? So in one case we were stuck in Hfx for several hours while ALL of the Canadian carrier flights were departing. The second time there was something wrong with the plane and we all had to be switched to Air Canada because the American carriers generally only have 1 plane and departure per day leaving no options when there's a problem! We ended up getting to WDW 24 hours late :(

I agree with going through Montreal on the way to Florida, because you don't have to get your bags for customs. Flying through Montreal on the way home, however, you do for some reason. :confused3 Toronto is the opposite - have to get your bags on the way down but not back. That's how it was for me last September anyway.

We avoid Toronto at all costs and love flying through Montreal. We've done Philadelphia and Newark a few times, only because we've had too. All those American connections had a small delay or two. I'm always wary of the early morning flights because they seem to get cancelled a lot for odd reasons. I guess well get feel way more comfortable flying Air Canada through Montreal if we can't go direct. :)

We live in MTL and avoid Toronto with all costs is we have to connect. Montreal is more streamlined with the luggage photos, etc. and is much better equipped to deal with snow (depending on when you are traveling) than Toronto.

MTL also has more food options in the US wing than Toronto. :)

Thank you guys, that's all great info! Michaela this time we are booking in August so weather shouldn't be a factor. (Ha! Remember the July they were repairing one of the runways and stuff got cancelled all the time? I was there, waiting for AC that time!) But yeah, it's not a good feeling sitting there with not enough confidence in the flight crew. Mikey and 2gr8tDisneykids, thanks for the corroboration. Ok then. My initial impulse to avoid Toronto seems spot on.

Updating to say, we picked Mtl outbound and Toronto inbound. So, I guess we will be able to report on both! Mtl sounds better but the flights on the way home were easier through YYZ.

Thank you guys, that's all great info! Michaela this time we are booking in August so weather shouldn't be a factor. (Ha! Remember the July they were repairing one of the runways and stuff got cancelled all the time? I was there, waiting for AC that time!) But yeah, it's not a good feeling sitting there with not enough confidence in the flight crew. Mikey and 2gr8tDisneykids, thanks for the corroboration. Ok then. My initial impulse to avoid Toronto seems spot on.

Updating to say, we picked Mtl outbound and Toronto inbound. So, I guess we will be able to report on both! Mtl sounds better but the flights on the way home were easier through YYZ.

Fill us in when you come back! You can let us know the differences with customs and the bags and such. ;)

One thing to keep in mind when choosing where to connect is the number of other fights out of that airport to your destination later in the day. For example, if YUL only has one flight a day and YYZ has 3, you may be better off choosing YYZ in case you initial flight is delayed.

We choose never to do YYZ because delays are brutal, this would be the same for easterners flying Us airways through Philadelphia, can ruin your trip with delays and connections. YUL is easy for connections and the airport consistently is basic and a no brainer to get around. We find the same with JFK also, quite happy with each flight. If you have the option to go though customs anywhere but YYZ always a plus.

I've always hated coming back through Toronto, but I'm in a unique situation (American in process of immigration), so it shouldn't be too bad for you. The plus side is that you don't have to take your bags through on the way back through Toronto (yaaay!). (Though not yay if you get sent to immigration offices and then have to leave your bags going around the thing for 45 minutes)

My wife has always had a better time going through US customs in Montreal than in Toronto. So, I'm curious as to how the experience will be.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter