• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Connecting Room Question

Kae

DIS Veteran
My Friend has 3 girls under the age 16 & if she adds her 16 year old niece, that is 5 people. She is the only Adult. She would like to stay at POP or a mod but the smallest is to big for a trundle & wants 2 rooms-ya know 5 girls need 2 bathrooms. Will Disney Guarantee connecting rooms. I told her about the suites at ASMusic but is really leaning toward a Moderate.

Kae

there are no guarantees short of what you specifically pay for.

yes, 1 adult and 4 girls under 18. now if there were 2 adults no way.

but disney doesn't want her girls partying anymore than she does.

make sure she asks for connecting rooms and says she is the ONLY adult.

yes, 1 adult and 4 girls under 18. now if there were 2 adults no way.

but disney doesn't want her girls partying anymore than she does.

make sure she asks for connecting rooms and says she is the ONLY adult.

Probably, Disney will try to get you into connecting rooms. yes, they will give you "guaranteed connecting for families." BUT...........if they don't have connecting rooms for you, they will put you in non-connecting rooms. Think of it like this: Marching band was at ASMu the same time we were. There were many, many 15, 16, 17, and 18yo kids. They were 4 to a room, with just teens in MOST of the rooms. So they CAN apparently put kids under age 18 in a room.

My dd has gone on school trips already (age 13) where there was a chaperone in some rooms, but not most. They behaved, they knew what was expected of them. So if those 16yo kids know how to follow the rules, not getting connecting rooms is no big deal. I'd rather the single mom with 5 kids all under age 10 get the connecting rooms.

Beth

the problem is 1 adult.

Disney has several connecting rooms in each resort. In each building in each resort.

you are talking about a bunch of rooms that were reserved together for a game, convention, etc.

those rules are different. - besides disney knows who to blame if anything happens - and they WON'T be invited back.

We always request connecting rooms (at POR & POFQ) and get them!
We go during the slow season so that may be a factor, if the resort isn't full it must be easier to grant requests.
Also, we had three adults in our party Dh and I (& Dd) in one room, my Mom in the connecting room. It worked out well.

We had reservations almost a year in advance for connecting rooms at Pop in May. They told us that they did not have any. I stayed with guest services for about 25 minutes until they went through every room on the computer to find us one. We were checking in at 11:30AM.
It's definately not guaranteed.

1) No rooms at Disney are guaranteed.
2) Regardless what the confirmations says.
3) There are too many reasons the room(s) are not available.
4) With that said
. . . they do try to honor "connecting" rooms ressies
. . . they do try to honor other specifically paid-for rooms

If you are the only adult in a party of several children (under 17), then everything that I have heard says that they will guarantee you connecting rooms. And I'd raise all hell if they didn't. "We can't guarantee..." my butt. If I was the only adult traveling with a few kids under 17 and we needed more than one room, and they tried to place us across the resort from each other, that just wouldn't fly. They aren't giving you those rooms for free. So I suggest that you fight for what you need/want.

She should be fine. The adult to child ratio is the key. She might get the standard "nothing is guaranteed" thing but she should be OK. I'm not saying this happens all the time but if Disney can get two connecting rooms for five adults and one child with two different check in dates during the holiday season (between Christmas and New Year's), they do their very best.

And I'm going to have to really think about the last time I was in a Disney resort room with just my husband and we didn't have a connecting door to the next room. That's the space we always put our suitcase because we know the door is never going to open since we don't know those people on the other side.

As a mother of 4 (All grown now. My oldest is in her 30's and my youngest is 22) I often wished Disney had more options for larger families.
When the children were younger and we would go to Disney they did not have DVC or the family suites. In fact Disney did not have a Moderate until CBR opened in the late 1980's so if we wanted to stay onsite we either rented 2 rooms at a deluxe or stayed in the cabins.

I wrote to Disney many times over the years asking for more options for families so when I heard they were building the New Family Suites at All Star Music it just made me so happy!

In the late 80's I booked 2 connecting rooms at CBR for my family.
When we checked in there were no connecting rooms left but we were able to get rooms next to each other on the second floor.
Our two oldest were teens so I put them in one room and the 2 little ones who were 5 and 7 stayed with us. It worked for us because our older children were able to stay in a room without us but if they were younger DH and I would have had to split up.

Disney may say they guarantee connecting rooms but in reality Disney does not guarantee connecting rooms.

If there are 2 adults Disney can split the adults and children into two rooms that are not connecting. They try hard not to do this but it can and does happen sometimes. If however it is one adult with 5 children Disney should try harder to find connecting rooms since some of the children cannot be left in a room without an adult. But if you look at the threads posted below you will see that sometimes even Disney mixes up.

It does happen. Far too often IMHO.

From this thread;

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1145289

mydogisbo said:
Just wanted to re-iterate what others have said:

We requesting connecting rooms at CBR in January--not really a busy time & we were early for check-in. They did not have us in connecting rooms. They said they could accommodate us, but it would be smoking rooms--which was our #1 request non-smoking.

We were side-by-side, so we just went outside to go next door, so it wasn't a huge deal for us. But if you definitely want to be together--I would go with a suite. You could also look into renting DVC points for a villa.

Here are a couple more threads about guests not getting connecting rooms:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1095679

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=785797&page=1&pp=15

From this thread:

http://disboards.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=13528958

taximomfor4 said:
One of the threads that Linda posted a link to was my experience last March. I had many conversations with the higher-ups at Guest Services and was told that even if it says "guaranteed" it is not truly "guaranteed." It just has higher priority over the "requests." Because on a given day, there might only be 25 connecting room sets opening up, but 27 "guaranteed connecting rooms for families" ressies checking in. 2 of those families are not going to get their "guarantee."

I know, I was shocked that we had to fight so hard to get put in rooms that had just been fumigated for lice (they were taken out of the inventory, but re-opened because we insisted we needed rooms.) I sort of assumed that if they didn't have the rooms for us, they'd find rooms elsewhere on Disney property. For that stay, we were sometimes 2 adults and sometimes only 1. Now we will book offsite if we need to do that again. If there are 2 of us adults, we book connecting and hope for the best. Otherwise, we'll split the kids.

My point is to make backup plans if you are depending on connecting rooms.

That is one of the main reasons if my family were young I would choose a Suite over 2 connecting rooms or I would be prepared that I may need to split the family up and sleep in a different room than DH.

------------------------------------------------------------

From this thread posted in Feb. 2007

http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Thanks for all your fast replies, I won't leave you hanging any longer, I just needed to cool out a bit before writing my rant.....

We arrived on Feb 22 (thursday) early ---plane landed at 9 am-----we used the magical express bus, so they had our luggage, we stored whatever we needed to at baggage claim and went right to epcot for the day. With the new system of check-in, the gave me a card with a number to call after 3 pm to find out where our rooms would be . I didn't call, we came back at about 9 pm exhausted and went to the front desk, we had rooms 3214 and 3215----we always get two rooms due to our family size-----let me add this was never a problem before, we have stayed at pop the last three years........we get all the carry-on stuff and go to our room( which is in the 50's section facing the bowling pin pool) and I open one room door. That's when the nightmare started-----no connecting door inside :eek: :eek: :eek: so I call down to the front desk and tell them I requested connecting rooms and this was not them-------there was nothing they could do for me that night, but they did put someone on the case, and they would call back. So we proceed to dig through the luggage for jammies and get the kids washed and brushed for bed in one room, the phone rings------The front desk----they can not obviously find anything for tonight, but they offer to move me for tomorrow--to adjoining rooms in the 70's section......ok so I ask how this works........and this is where the story gets hairy..........we would need to check out by 11 am and not get back to the other room until after 3 pm

Doesn't sound too bad.....but I do have a fridge to re pack from the swap, and 9 luggage cases and various other bags, and we had the pirates and princess party on the 23, so I told the kids we could swim in am then come back to the room early and get dressed for the party(I had a Pan, Snow, and cindy to dress-up)so i explained all this to them that I would need a room to dress all the wet kids, and you can't have a room if you checked out-----and this was the only way they would change the room situation for me.......the guy I talked to on the phone even told me families travelling together are guaranteed to get adjoing rooms, he was going to go back and find out who made this mistake, but they really couldn't help me any further......

so.........after much crying on my part, I decided to keep the rooms we had and make the best of it.....the kids were really looking forward to the party, and I didn't want to ruin it for them................but this really killed my vacation. I have 5 kids , only the oldest two I trust with a room card, so we put the boys in one room , and we were (the girls ) in the other. I think I talked to my husband more on the phone this trip!!!!!!!and then the knocking began..........to tell each other what channel to watch, to get a drink from the fridge in the other room, what are you wearing today, can I borrow your comic book.....and they were just being excited kids and I can't blame them, but someone was running to the door to let someone in all the time........and then alot of time we were all cramped in one area....and I kept thinking I'm paying for two rooms here....:sad2: sooooo

Long-long story short----I think they could have let us use the rooms we were in and saved the other for the pm when we got pack-----I would have gladly gone thru the hassel of packing it back up, if they would transfer all of it over across the way , but it was really cut and dry from the two people I talked to over the phone, even though they admitted that they made the mistake......

We transferred to POFQ for the last three days of our trip, and yes, we had a connecting door inside, and yes it was pure bliss for me , and yes I called over there twice and talked to two seperate people who assured me that the rooms had a connecting door even before we left pop!!!!

I guess I was more angry that they didn't seem to care how put out I was going to be, anyone can make a mistake, but I always felt before that disney did everything in their power to even over-rectify bad situations.......it just left me with a bad feeling

thanks for listening

-----------------------------------------------------
Please do not shoot the messenger--I just do not want other families to be as disappointed as we were.

Have fun at Disney!:wizard:

Yes they guarantee connecting rooms. I Have the ressie to prove it. DH and I are in similar situation with 2 rooms with one having kids. Just tell the CM the situation

Yes they guarantee connecting rooms. I Have the ressie to prove it. DH and I are in similar situation with 2 rooms with one having kids. Just tell the CM the situation

Sorry, just so you are aware, regardless of what your reservation says, as Rusty stated, they will guarantee to try but since you have 2 adults in your group your request is not as high a priority as someone with only one adult in the group, as they could split you up.

It has happened before, even though the confirmation said guaranteed connecting rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter