Connecting Delta flight 44 mins at Atlanta. Anyone done that?

Goofey's Girl

Mouseketeer
Hi
Looking at flights returning early September with virgin who use delta. The plane lands in Atlanta with only 44 minutes before flight home. Both flights Delta. Anyone done that. Is it even possible? Likelihood of getting luggage on the plane with us
Seems a bit scary to me
Thanks

That is about the minimum I would do in Atlanta. You should be fine, but might be running through the airport to catch your connection. I've actually had friends make a 30 minute connection in Atlanta where they had to change terminals, but swore they'd never try it again.

You should be fine, but won't have much of a cushion.

It never even dawned on me it might be different terminals. I might have to rethink or just live dangerously. Thanks.

It will undoubtedly be different terminals. Atlanta has a dedicated international terminal. I am not sure I would do it with a 44 minute layover. You only need your inbound flight to be a few minutes late - and don't forget you won't disembark immediately after you land. Plus claiming luggage. Too risky for my liking.

Yes I think you're right. I'd be a nervous wreck on the first flight too. Thank you. Going to look at other options.

Yikes, just realized your second flight would be international. In that case - I take back everything I said. Absolutely no way I would even think about it.

Your luggage should be checked through to the UK, there is no need to collect it in Atlanta. There is no security check and the train between terminals is fast and frequent.
Providing you land on time then 44 minutes should be adequate.

ford family

Thank you I knew it would worry me so have jumped totally and booked with Thomas Cook from Stansted. Might not be the best planes but no connections and we take all our electrics on board for entertainment. Now that's done I can relax and start enjoying planning. Appreciate all your help and advice.

ATL is a huge airport.
You will not change terminals.
There are 2 terminals at ATL, one is domestic and one is International, but terminals are merely for check in, immigration, and so on.
You'll only need to change concourses (often mistaken for terminals). Terminals are at both end of the airport, and the concourses lay in between
You'll need to go from concourse A or B al the way down to cincourse F. You will take the subway system (plane train). You could be tempted to walk instead of waiting for the next train. Don't! Yiu'd need over 5 minutes between each concourse and you might need to walk past 5 of them (25 minutes) whr' the train will get you there in under 5 minutes total

Plane doors will close 20 minutes before scheduled departure (meaning you only have 24 minutes to land, taxi, deplane, change concourse, go to gate, board plane)

Your connection is hyper tight if all goes well. Delta considers a connection of that type to be illegal if under 40 minutes. That's how tight your connection is. But you want to have at least 60 minutes for domestic to international
It can be done but no way I'm attempting it

Delta is good at rebooking you for free if they have changed your flight to a shorter connection, so call them. If you've booked through a TA it's trickier as you'll need to go through the TA which might try to charge you

Thank you I knew it would worry me so have jumped totally and booked with Thomas Cook from Stansted. Might not be the best planes but no connections and we take all our electrics on board for entertainment. Now that's done I can relax and start enjoying planning. Appreciate all your help and advice.

For what it's worth, I think you made the best decision. 44 minutes (even all being well) would just be too tight for my liking. Good luck with your planning :)

Fingers crossed TC might have updated some more A330s for the Stansted route since last year. The planes from MAN have been a huge success, and feel much brighter and comfortable.

Anyone got any further thoughts on connecting in Atlanta?
Looking at a Virgin option which gives us 1 hour 55 on the way to MCO and 2 hours on the way home.
Is it do-able?

Would I be right to assume that if we miss the connection we would be placed on the next Delta flight (both Delta and Virgin list both legs of the journey so I'm assuming its a mixed flight)?

Last edited:
I have done the 1hr :55 mins a couple of times no problem. Friends once had a 90 min connection which they did not make.
They were put on standby, told they would have to wait until until last flight of the day to guarantee Biz class (that's how they were travelling) they accepted next flight in economy.

thank you for that, sounds like a winner.
does £600 per person sound ok for late July? I know that you are the King of Flights ;-)

Blimey, that's a good price, wish I'd seen it a couple of days ago... BA's website doesnt want to play ball tonight.
I'm going to see if Disney will change my dates and go with the Virgin / Delta options.
Thanks for your speedy responses :-)

We did a 55min in Atlanta on our return ,my only problem was having to briskly walk past the huge Michael kors shop :( we didn't have to collect our luggage and had 3young children with us and never felt that it was such a hurry we were stressed out .

We're looking at the Atlanta route for next year using Vigin for the international leg and Delta for the domestic flight. As we're going to use points for both flights we've been told by Virgin that it's got to be on two distinct bookings/tickets. I guess this means therefore we're going to have to clear customs, collect our luggage and then check in for our next flight. We will need to do this both ways so can anyone advise on how much time we should leave between flights ?

We did a 55min in Atlanta on our return ,my only problem was having to briskly walk past the huge Michael kors shop :( we didn't have to collect our luggage and had 3young children with us and never felt that it was such a hurry we were stressed out .
You walked past Michael Kors? You're a better woman than me. I'd risk it for the next flight! ;-)

Isabel,

It's taken us anywhere between 1 hr 25 min and 1 hr 40 min to clear customs, collect bags, drop off bags, go through security and take the train to our next gate. For me to feel most comfortable, I try to give myself a minimum of 2 hrs returning from Europe (LHR or AMS). Of course, YMMV.

Shay

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter