Congrats podcast team, you've found the magic!

OhioStateBuckeye

DIS Veteran
Cryptic enough title for you?

I'm just loving the change this new year has wrought in the podcast. I wouldn't have been able to tell you this last year, I can only detect it now that it's happening.

I feel like the podcast kind of had a disconnect with the parks. Sure, they reported on the news and occasionally went to a special event like a mnsshp, but something was kind of missing. This year they're going to the parks all the time and we're hearing about crowd levels and other little comments on the podcast. The Facebook page is constantly being updated with ride videos and discussion topics. I've also been enjoying all the dining reviews.

I'm not trying to knock any shows from before, I just think, so far, this year has brought a little more magic from the parks to the table. It's hard to exactly put it into words.

Anyone else know what I'm trying to say?

Yes, I know exactly what you are saying. A while back, I offered a criticism that didn't sit well with some that suggested that the podcast team got a bit caught up in the "WDW for locals" approach and didn't capture the "WDW for tourists" approach that most of us find more interesting. But this is definitely shifting for the better.

I'm definitely "down" for all great changes, new content, different perspectives, etc. that's coming our way - they have been getting better and better, and I love and appreciate all their hard work for all that!!

I agree and was only thinking this to myself yesterday.
All the dining reviews that seemed like they were such a chore in recent times are now coming out every week or two because they're in the parks and have to eat so why not review at the same time.
It definitely feels like they've got a spark back in their eyes for the parks and it's translating well

Completely agree. There was, as you say, a disconnect with the parks and the perspective/experiences of non-locals inside the parks.

I am also thrilled with the podcast having much more of a connection to what is going on right now in the parks. The frequent Facebook posts are great, I love to see the various videos, pics and comments about what they're doing in the parks right at that moment; it makes me feel more connected to the parks, too. Just in even the offhand comments made during the show, I like to hear about "just yesterday in the park..." It makes the show feel very relevant and on top of things, and that really keeps my interest. I even think there's more excitement that comes through when they talk about the parks now, it really seems like they're enjoying the extra time to get to enjoy what sparked their passion in the first place. I'm sure they're all incredibly busy, but I really appreciate (and think it's incredibly smart) to mandate that WDW podcasters are frequently experiencing WDW.
I hope they start dabbling in Facebook live if/when they're able. I don't have periscope, and I like how Facebook lives gives me a notification right when someone goes live, and I can watch easily right in my Facebook feed.

I fully agree with the OP! Please do not get me wrong, I have always enjoyed the podcasts and have been a longtime loyal fan, however, this year there is a noticeable improvement in overall quality, flow/structure of the show, content, and overall production. I am especially enjoying the renewed focus on in-park experiences, dining reviews (which I honestly do not recall having seen much last year), multimedia treats like the in-park videos posted on The DIS Facebook page, and the addition of entirely new podcasts like Connecting with Walt! As I have stated in previous posts on other threads, as a former WDWCM and long-time fan of The DIS, now more than ever I am VERY excited to be a part of this thriving online community and look forward to upcoming events and opportunity to contribute to The DIS in any way that I can, I am considering applying to become a Contributor and look forward to hopefully meeting the podcast team this year!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK DIS PODCAST TEAM! :)

Yes, I know exactly what you are saying. A while back, I offered a criticism that didn't sit well with some that suggested that the podcast team got a bit caught up in the "WDW for locals" approach and didn't capture the "WDW for tourists" approach that most of us find more interesting. But this is definitely shifting for the better.

IMHO as a recent local AP holder (I am temporarily living out of state but plan on relocating back to FL later this year) I frequented the parks on nearly a weekly basis, and when I was a WDWCM (several years ago) I essentially spent 75% of my week either working or playing at WDW.. I have to say, as a local I felt incredibly connected to WDW, being able to make a spur of the moment visit to MKP or EP on a random weeknight created so many memories for me, even more so then when I have vacationed at WDW while living out of state.. With that said, IMHO I really do not think the "locals approach" versus "non-locals approach" is a factor here, if anything, the locals approach allows you to more easily notice little details and thematic/logistical changes at the park that otherwise could be overlooked by someone that visits the parks only once a year.. As I stated in my post above, I really believe that the noticeable change for the better in regards to the podcasts is the fact that they shifted their focus back to in-park experiences (in-park videos, dining reviews, etc.), are visiting the parks more frequently (which once again is more easily accessible as a local), and the structure/format/production of the show has also been kicked up a notch.. :)

IMHO as a recent local AP holder (I am temporarily living out of state but plan on relocating back to FL later this year) I frequented the parks on nearly a weekly basis, and when I was a WDWCM (several years ago) I essentially spent 75% of my week either working or playing at WDW.. I have to say, as a local I felt incredibly connected to WDW, being able to make a spur of the moment visit to MKP or EP on a random weeknight created so many memories for me, even more so then when I have vacationed at WDW while living out of state.. With that said, IMHO I really do not think the "locals approach" versus "non-locals approach" is a factor here, if anything, the locals approach allows you to more easily notice little details and thematic/logistical changes at the park that otherwise could be overlooked by someone that visits the parks only once a year.. As I stated in my post above, I really believe that the noticeable change for the better in regards to the podcasts is the fact that they shifted their focus back to in-park experiences (in-park videos, dining reviews, etc.), are visiting the parks more frequently (which once again is more easily accessible as a local), and the structure/format/production of the show has also been kicked up a notch.. :)

In many respects, we are saying the same thing, so you don't have to humbly disagree. Sometimes it is hard to see the trees for the forest, just as it is hard to see the forest for the trees. As someone who "essentially spent 75%" of your week either working or playing at WDW, it may be difficult for you to see how and why we are actually saying the same thing. Let me give you an example. A local who can and does go to DTD/DS any time they want can easily afford to say: "I am not going near that place until they get the parking situation under control." But a guest who is only at WDW one week out of three years, and in that one week, the parking situation is a nightmare, does not have that luxury. It is either "go or do not go." A person who is intent on reporting on current conditions and being an advocate for present and future guests would take a deep breath and tackle the parking situation head on and report about it and offer up the best possible workarounds for an otherwise tough situation. That would be taking the "guest approach" instead of the "locals approach". And this "get in there and report back" approach seems to be more of an emphasis with the podcasts and I greatly appreciate it.

I agree and was only thinking this to myself yesterday.
All the dining reviews that seemed like they were such a chore in recent times are now coming out every week or two because they're in the parks and have to eat so why not review at the same time.
It definitely feels like they've got a spark back in their eyes for the parks and it's translating well
I agree completely. A number of new dining experiences have premiered in WDW over the past year. Also, with the new attractions coming to AK in particular and eventually to HS, there must also be a sense that the DIS needs to be in the parks and on top of changes to be as current and up to speed as possible. The insider industry info has always been terrific as it helps to frame these changes and gives us DIS'rs insight. However, there is no substitute for actually being on the ground to see what's what and to gauge what the guest experience is. Guessing that with a number of new food offerings, attraction openings scheduled to begin in the next 6 months in AK at least and the big reveal of Soarin' in Epcot sometime this summer, many of the podcasters have found a way to get excited about the parks again. And that excitement is really starting to show. It makes us, the viewers, excited for the coming year as well!

I was thinking something similar the past two weeks. I've been listening, now watching for years and in the last two weeks I've found myself laughing out loud again. I've enjoyed all the podcasts/vidcasts through the years, but there was a time that the humor (looking back I see this) was not as obvious. It's back and I LOVE it! I didn't really realize what was missing until it came back.

The rapport of the team is wonderful and I'm loving all the different shows. Craig has definitely came into his own; you go Craig. All the team is rocking it again!

I hadn't really thought this through but I totally agree with everyone here. The team has a new focus and point of view that is very nice to see and hear. I like the more "hands on" approach that is coming from them actually being in the parks themselves regularly.

I particularly like that dining reviews are being done routinely. There is something like 400 places to eat on property so they can easily make dining reviews a regular feature, even weekly if they want to. I would love to see them start including counter service restaurants, too. They've done some (Craig talked about the new Pecos Bill's menu when it started) but there are countless places they could talk about in the parks and hotels.

I just watched Pete on Big Fat Panda, and this interested me enough to watch a few other Panda podcasts. They are enjoyable, but shows why I (we) passionately watch the DIS. The charisma the team has developed is palpable. The interactions of the very, very diverse cast remind me of a huge family at a holiday dinner. I'm always watching for that tension and the inside jokes.

I always assumed that everyone showed up at the house 15 minutes before recording with some notes written down on what they wanted to cover and ad libbed the show. Obviously this isn't the case (with the exception of those magical FFF shows). Just watching the subtly things that go into a live show, like Craig or Ryno working 6 or 7 camera feeds along with pop ups and videos. Yeah they make some errors, but it is run like a live TV newscast with a much smaller area and crew.

I often forget that many of the team are also working full time jobs with Dreams, and they have to visit the parks, resorts, shoot video, edit, ect. It's amazing they can produce all these shows in a week every week. A good dining review is more than going to dinner, but they do it all seamlessly. I also forget from time to time that they do not all live in a giant commune. I'll bet the commute is fun for Jackie ad Terresa. There is always room for improvement, but soon Pete will need a bigger house (I wonder how he manages now and if he ever locks his door or if Craig has a key).

So my vision of the crew hanging out playing video games and eating pizza all Tuesday is gone...but I hope they keep doing the good work of delivering my Disney fix for a long time.

I would love to see them start including counter service restaurants, too. They've done some (Craig talked about the new Pecos Bill's menu when it started) but there are countless places they could talk about in the parks and hotels.
I absolutely agree with this. In fact, it was Craig's review of the new Pecos Bill that encouraged me to try it last Fall. I loved the new food & esp the new fixins bar. I wouldn't have set foot back in the place if I hadn't watched that review on the DIS. Craig sold it (despite the scary bare fajita meat :eek:). If you've seen the show, you know what I mean. Craig, Ryno & JL have done some great, helpful reviews of Universal CS spots on the Universal show. This would be a natural bridge right into WDW counter service. And it would be greatly appreciated by many on the Boards.

I always assumed that everyone showed up at the house 15 minutes before recording with some notes written down on what they wanted to cover and ad libbed the show. Obviously this isn't the case
Me, too! Because it is such an incredibly professional show, and we only see the polished end product, it is easy to forget how much work goes into it. Then multiply that by 3 or 4 to cover all the shows. Mind boggling. Just impressive work hands down.

If any of you are on Periscope, be sure to subscribe to The DIS there because as members of the team are in the Parks, they'll go live on Periscope periodically!! I just finished watching some Cast Members working on a bird's foot at Animal Kingdom with JL doing a little bit of narration in the background. Very cool!

I've been listening to the show since 2007 and of course now watching and I have to say that I love watching the growth of the show. It's had it's growing pains, and setbacks by times (was really concerned of how they could possibly continue on an emotional level after the loss of Bob) but the evolution of the show has been wonderful. I think Pete was spot on to schedule the crew into the parks. It might get a little "old hat" by times but for those of us that have been around for awhile, when the team finds something interesting then they know we're going to find it interesting. Love love love the Periscope moments! For me to be able to be live in the moment with them brings the magic for me. For example, as many times as I've been to the Plant Watch this morning's periscope with JL was the first time I got to experience vets working on an animal and it gave me my instant Disney fix and the warm fuzzies...makes me look even more forward to my trip in 10 days!!!!!

If any of you are on Periscope, be sure to subscribe to The DIS there because as members of the team are in the Parks, they'll go live on Periscope periodically!! I just finished watching some Cast Members working on a bird's foot at Animal Kingdom with JL doing a little bit of narration in the background. Very cool!
I have been loving the Periscopes!! When I get home from work every day I watch the daily fix and all the Dis periscopes. I love watching the podcast team walking through the parks and answering questions from followers in real time.

I think it is great that Pete has required everyone on the team to visit the parks weekly. It has made a HUGE difference in all of the programming and social media posts!! Keep it up podcast team....your fans are loving it!!

I think it is great that Pete has required everyone on the team to visit the parks weekly. It has made a HUGE difference in all of the programming and social media posts!! Keep it up podcast team....your fans are loving it!!
Mandatory Magic is just about my very favorite thing in the world!!! :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter