• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

confused --which products to use??

debm

<font color=deeppink>Whose goal is to get the WDW
I am very new to scrapbooking and have bought some Creative Memories to get started. I plan on using their books and have their trimmers, etc. BUT is there anything wrong with going to the local scrapbook store to get theme papers, stickers, etc. Someone told me that it is best to use ONLY Creative Memories. I shouldn't mix. I'm not talking about buying Target brand but if I bought something at a good store wouldn't that be OK? Or would there be some reason I shouldn't? Colors wouldn't match etc.

Thanks so much for your opinions and suggestions!!

Hmmm ... was the person who told you to only use CM a CM consultant? Some consultants *will* say that -- but most don't mind at all if you use other things!!

You absolutely CAN use things besides CM!! True, a color of cardstock that you buy at the store won't exactly match a CM piece, but that's the only negative I can see!

There are soooo many wonderful scrappin' supplies out there -- CM has only a tiny portion of what's available!! As long as whatever you use is acid-free and lignin-free, it's safe for your scrapbook!! I started scrapping the "safe" way about 9 years ago -- I found CM shortly after I started and I still use their albums and some of their tools, but I have paper, punches, stickers, and on and on and on from everywhere else!!

Why limit yourself when there's so much fun to be had?? :teeth:

If you'd like to check out a great scrappin' board, just to get an idea of what all's out there, try www.twopeasinabucket.com

I second using products from other sources! It is just so much fun to go and look and use! It is your book and your memories so you need it to reflect your style! Go for it!

My introduction to scrapbooking was Creative Memories. However, I have two wonderful scrapbook stores in my area that I also keep in business :). I love the selection of papers, stickers, embellishments, classes, etc. that are available.

the above-
I started using Michaels stuff -
and now all I use is CM albums - I love them, but now- WOW - skys the limit - as long as it is archival quality stuff! I get stuff EVERYWHERE! Even the local dollar tree store sometimes has srapping stuff!

the people who only use CM stuff are reffered to as 'purists' in our area :rolleyes:

Its all what you like -
be forewarned though tht they may not 'warranty' the album.

PattyT

apparantly CM have no rules about using non-CM stuff in the album, and the albums are 100% guaranteed no matter what you use. I know some people will tell you otherwise, but I've read it from many CMCs on 2 Peas that those albums are guaranteed no matter what you use.

Don't forget that there are other styles of albums too, I personally love top-loading albums, since i don't work in order, and couldn't cope with the stress of having my layouts stuck back to back with each other. You can find some lovely albums in your LSS as well.

I do like the CM paper trimmer and have heard great things about the cutting system, but there are way too many things out there for me to limit myself to just one company.

Bev

I just recently started using CM albums. While I love the albums, and doubt I will ever use any other from now on, I couldn't live without my local scrapbook stores, Michaels, etc., etc., etc. I think CM's cropping tools are also very,very good, but as far as stickers and diecuts go, their selection is very limited.

I dido all of the above. I only use CM albums but lots of other goodies as long as they are archival safe, acid and lignen free and pigment inks.

Have fun. I am.

My consultant using everything also. I don't use anything bulky though.

Laura
A Scrapaholic

I love Creative Memories products - BUT - I have to say they are just shooting themselves in the foot by not making 12X12 papers. If I could get the papers I can from Michaels and my LSS and such through CM I quite possibly would....but I can't. I love CM albums and although I have a top-loading SandyLion Mickey Album I can't wait to use because of the ease...I think overall I will stick with CM albums. But I do hate having to cut my 12 X 12 paper down and then stick it to the page to have a background other than white, black or natural. By all means use anything archival safe. My mom is still a "purist" and it's like I told her just the other day. Yes....I would like to think my albums will still be in my family 200 years from now and in good shape I am doing them for my joy of them. As long as I keep things acid and lignin free they should last for a VERY long time - and I know they will last at least through my lifetime and hopefully m children's and their childrens. But if they don't I still got the joy of making them.

The sky is the limit if you look beyond the CM stuff. There is so much stuff out there and it's too bad CM and their consultants can't/won't take advantage of it all.

I am a loyal CM album customer -- and I personally love the cutting system & storage solutions (I bought a Fiskars & Generations first & did not like). But I use other papers and embellishments (like nailheads, Jolee's stickers, Stampin' Up Chalks, etc....)

My absolute favorite non-CM item -- my Quickutz! Just got it -- love it. My CM consultant is actually considering one...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter