Confused by point transfer

ML_LovesDisney

DIS Veteran
Hi all, I am in the midst of purchasing an add on via resale of 50 points through SSR with a MARCH UY.. I am trying to figure out transferring points to find out:
1. What the point of it is?
2. How I will need to use it if my current UY is April (for my BLT and AKV contracts) and I want to book a trip with all my points combined? Would I just have to book at the 7 month window?

I have read through some other threads but I am still not totally sure. For example, say I get all my points March 2013, and April 2013 respectively and I want to use all 310 points to book Bay Lake Tower (160 BLT points, 100 AKV points, and 50 SSR points). How could transferring affect or help this? Or does it not really do anything since transferred points retain current UY and home resort priority? If that is the case, I don't understand the point of transferring. Please help :) Sorry if that was long and confusing!

Keeping the same UY makes things much simpler, a different UY is a separate membership as if two different people are involved.

To use the combined points, you need to transfer from one membership to the other for use at 7 months keeping in mind the UY's and restrictions.

Your other choice is to book a few days with one membership and a few with the other but you may have to change rooms.

We have transfered once and MS screwed it up so badly, I vowed never to transfer again, plus transfered points do not show up in your account.

:earsboy: Bill

First, your points will only be available for 11 month booking at their own resorts--SSR at SSR, BLT at BLT, and AKV at AKV. At 7 months, you will be able to combine the BLT and AKV points--because they are part of the same membership--to book a room anywhere.

For the SSR points, they will need to be transferred into your BLT/AKV membership if you want to use them at 7 months with those other points. If not, you'll be limited to using only what you have.

What you could always do is book a few nights with the SSR points and then the rest with the other and have the reservations linked.

Thank you Sandisw and Bill. That is what I needed to know. I really want to buy another small contract before they change any more rules on resale, but I wanted to make sure I will be able to make use of these points for a large point reservation. I WILL be able to do that once a year with a transfer it looks like.

What about if I banked points for a year, could those 100 total points (2013 banked plus 2014) be transferred or no?

What about if I banked points for a year, could those 100 total points (2013 banked plus 2014) be transferred or no?

any banked or borrowed pts cannot be transferred.

only current pts can be transferred.

after being transferred, transferred pts can be banked but not borrowed.

So, there is a way to use two years worth of 50 SSR points then. Let me know if I have this right: I can transfer those 50 points that are current for 2013 to BLT/AKV contract, then bank them into 2014, and transfer the other 50 the next year (2014) and use 360 points at 7 mths in 2014? I'm just trying to know what I'm doing before I pay my deposit on this contract. Thank you all for your help and expertise!

So, there is a way to use two years worth of 50 SSR points then. Let me know if I have this right: I can transfer those 50 points that are current for 2013 to BLT/AKV contract, then bank them into 2014, and transfer the other 50 the next year (2014) and use 360 points at 7 mths in 2014? I'm just trying to know what I'm doing before I pay my deposit on this contract. Thank you all for your help and expertise!

Will be interesting to hear confirmation from the experienced ones on this.

I was under the impression that transferred points from the current use year cannot be banked in the account that they were transferred to. This was one reason why I passed on a different use year contract

For multiple master contracts of a single owner they will often allow banked/borrowed points to be transferred. It's done on a case by case basis as the need arises.

The best option is to reserve within each contract and link any applicable stays rather than transferring. I don't think you'll see transferred points online or be able to use online booking if you transfer the points. If you have stranded points and not enough to make that last night, that's when the exception might apply. While doing so would use your one per UY transfer FOR BOTH ACCOUNTS, if you've already used a transfer, they will often allow another transfer in the situation I'm discussing.

Yeah I am having second thoughts about this different use year. Unfortunately there are very few April UY contracts for resale :confused3

Yes you can do that and use the transfer for both UY for both accounts, it could change in the future though.

For multiple master contracts of a single owner they will often allow banked/borrowed points to be transferred. It's done on a case by case basis as the need arises.

The best option is to reserve within each contract and link any applicable stays rather than transferring. I don't think you'll see transferred points online or be able to use online booking if you transfer the points. If you have stranded points and not enough to make that last night, that's when the exception might apply. While doing so would use your one per UY transfer FOR BOTH ACCOUNTS, if you've already used a transfer, they will often allow another transfer in the situation I'm discussing.

I had banked points that I wanted transferred from one to the other and I couldn't get them to do it...hung up and tried again and same result. Even tried the next day...it ended up working out as I had to book another night and used those banked points with some one time use points to do it and just had the two reservations linked.

But,

It sounds like I need to buy a contract with same UY. I just found one for AKV. Thanks for all your help. Transferring sounds like a big cluster!

I had banked points that I wanted transferred from one to the other and I couldn't get them to do it...hung up and tried again and same result. Even tried the next day...it ended up working out as I had to book another night and used those banked points with some one time use points to do it and just had the two reservations linked.

But,
as noted, it is case by case. Normally the only times they'll do it are to round out a given night and for exchange options like DCL where all points have to be in a single contract to be used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter