Confused about limo details

sandy5115

Earning My Ears
Is this something new limo companies are doing? I actually think part of the fun (or surprise) using a limo company is having them stand there holding your name up.

I am not familiar with the Orlando airport and for some reason these directions sound a bit confusing, or is it just me!

This was in the email.

YOU MUST CALL US UPON ARRIVING IN BAGGAGE CLAIM AREA AFTER YOU HAVE COLLECTED YOUR LUGGAGE. HAPPY LIMO DRIVER WILL NOT BE STANDING IN THE BAGGAGE CLAIM AREA UNLESS REQUESTED IN ADVANCE. ONCE YOU CALL OUR TOLL FREE NUMBER, THE DRIVER WILL ARRIVE AT A SPECIFIC PARKING SPACE NUMBER ON LEVEL-1 WITHIN 5-6 MINUTES. OUR DISPATCHER WILL DIRECT YOU TO A SPECIFIC PARKING SPACE NUMBER. PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT IF YOU MUST HAVE OUR DRIVER MEET YOU IN THE BAGGAGE CLAIM AREA THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT 20-25 MINUTES WHICH IS THE TIME IT WOULD TAKE THE DRIVER TO WALK BACK TO HIS VEHICLE AND DRIVE IT TO YOUR TERMINAL. YOU MUST INFORM US IN ADVANCE IF YOU WISH TO HAVE THE DRIVER MEET YOU IN THE BAGGAGE CLAIM.

When the limo driver meets you in the terminal baggage claim area, the limo itself may be some distance away. He will not schlep your baggage to the limo but instead, after meeting you, he will go and bring the limo almost directly out front. If his space number was to the right of where you are standing facing out the windows, he has to drive out and around the terminal building and come back from the left to arrive in front of you.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

That’s a bit where I am confused. It states they will not meet me, rather they want me to call and then look for the car outside in a SPECIFIC PARKING SPACE NUMBER. Am I missing something?????????

While they have to park in a lot now - my driver has always met me in baggage claim. He even helped me tote my bags to the outside then he brought the car around. It's part of the meet 'n greet service. But the blurb DOES say to let them know in advance if you want them to meet you in baggage claim. I will warn you - I had to call for my driver - twice - before he finally decided to wake up from his nap and meet us when I used Happy Limo. This was AFTER retrieving our own bags with us waiting in baggage claim for over 30 minutes when our flight was already delayed by 2 1/2 hours b/c of weather didn't quite begin our vacation on a happy note. If I hadn't had to make that 2nd phone call it wouldn't have been as bad. Another reason I haven't given them anymore of my business. I paid a lot of money for the limo that I reserved and I shouldn't have to make 2 phone calls to track down the baggage area trying to locate my driver. We got I'm sorry I didn't know your flight was delayed and I just had you paged a few minutes ago. What???? Where was this page that he spoke of? I just got fed an excuse and I'm sorry the boards are updated to show delays so please don't give me that hog wash. It was quite the contrast to the other car services I had used. On second thought was this blurb an effort to make it okay for their drivers to get to people whenever and have clients wondering where the heck their driver is these days? It is giving them about a 25 minute lead now. We had to walk to the vehicle also instead of him pulling it around. Amazing how the other transportation companies can pull their car around in a matter of 10 minutes or less but Happy needs 25 minutes.

That’s a bit where I am confused. It states they will not meet me, rather they want me to call and then look for the car outside in a SPECIFIC PARKING SPACE NUMBER. Am I missing something?????????

You bring up a good point - yeah, they want YOU the customer to now meet THEIR driver. :confused: Way to go Happy Limo! :thumbsup2 Is it me or this totally backwards? I know I'm already sour when it comes to this company, but I say run, Forest, run! It's plum ridiculous to have your clients meet you in the parking lot of the airport when they are paying for a private service. There are other services out there that provide a true meet 'n greet service and they aren't way off from Happy Limo prices....and you won't have to meet their driver. Sheesh - next thing they'll just hand you the keys and you to drive yourself after you've toted your own luggage clear across to some parking lot to find the "parking space number" they've provided you. :sad2:

I don't like the way that policy reads. I think I'd find a new limo company. Having someone meet you and help with the luggage is part of the deal. If that's not included in the service any longer you might as well take a cab

I think I can shed some light onto this situation.

When a commercial vehicle, such as a limousine, goes to pick up a client, there are two basic places to park... the free commercial waiting lot, which is far from the terminal, and then the terminal loading parking. The terminal loading parking area is right at baggage claim, and there is a per minute cost for this parking.

It appears as if Happy Limo is attempting to minimize the per minute parking time, albeit at the expense of the paying customer.

In many cases a transportation company has regular customers and it has evolved where those regular customers will call and alert his driver that he is in and headed down to the commercial lanes to be picked up. That works well with the regular customer (usually locals) who know their way around the airport and do not want the driver to meet them upstairs. The company who is trying to operate this scheme with passengers not familiar with the airport or who want to to be met at the escalator is shooting himself in the foot.

It is up to you the passenger to reject this scheme. The transportation companies do not endorse it and therefor it will not work. If you do not like their way of picking you up than go on to the next company.

I believe this scheme is being tried because the drivers, who in the past stood on the baggage claim floor soliciting your ride, are no longer allowed to be there. Airport ground transportation regulations are being enforced and illegal solicitors have been run off.

Tyler was right, one reason this is coming about is to save companies or drivers money by not spending so much time in the commercial lanes. There is a basic charge of $4.75 for the first 20 or 30 minutes in the commercial lane, so even if he walks over gets his vehicle and picks you up he isn't saving any money. I believe it relates to providing "meet and greet" service to you the passenger. The company wants his driver to spend less time meeting you. Valgal is right in that it only takes 5 - 10 minutes to walk over to the bullpen and pick up your vehicle and be back in the commercial lanes in front of your passenger.

Service is what the majority of the transportation companies want to give you. the passenger. If you run into a company that wants to give you less, than reject it completely. I have to admit there are some companies that are not service minded. Hopefully they will eliminate themselves.

If I were coming in and didn't have bags, I'd have no problem with the concept of calling the driver and having him meet me at a specific numbered space. But if I had a bunch of bags, I'd expect him to meet me at the bottom of the escalators, help me take the bags to the curb, and then go get his car. And I shouldn't have to tell them this.

Anne

The first time we used a towncar service, they were already parked in front of the baggage claim area, but this was years ago. Since then, we have been met at the baggage claim area, helped out with our bags and then taken to a parking spot, where we waited, with our bags, while the driver went to bring the car around. My last trip in Dec, the driver met us in baggage claim, helped us with our bags, and then walked us over, across the street, to a parking area where the car was. I actually preferred that to standing around waiting for him to bring the car around. I don't like the idea of having to call them to let them know I'm there, and waiting.

I don't know how many people take the time to read the FAQ section of a website but FL Tours does a good job describing how meet and greet affects the limo company and asking guests to work with them.

Happy Limo has an interesting way to offer service and to compete with DME.

About the Meet and Greet
A Meet & Greet is a service that we provide at no extra cost to our clients, but this service requires a great deal of laboring and expense on our part. At times, it can result in unnecessary expenses for us if our clients are unfamiliar with this type of service. By sharing with you the workings of a meet and greet, we believe you will help us reduce these unnecessary expenses at the airport. Your driver begins by monitoring your flight immediately after you leave your hometown in order to meet you at the baggage claim area when you arrive.

Once your flight is at the gate, for your convenience, your driver will bring and park the requested vehicle into what we call the commercial vehicle lane lot, located down stairs from where you claim your bags. The minimum charge we pay just for passing through this area is just under $5.00. It is important of your driver to quickly meet up with the party and leave in the shortest possible time to minimize the charges. Anything that prolongs this process will increase our expenses.

Upon landing, if you think you think you will need some additional time in the terminal before coming down to baggage claim area, (such as having a bite to eat or anything else), please let us know in advance. This way, we will have your driver wait for you at the staging area on a stand by basis. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation

I had an experience similiar to those described. We had to call three times. wait outside in a smoke and fume infested area so as not to miss this guy, me sitting in my wheelchair. and wait 35 min beyond the scheduled time for pick up.
They must be HAPPY because YOU do all the work. Never again.
I will try Disney's Magical express this time, or it is back to renting our own vehicle at the airport. Need to rent one anyway once we get to DW

personally, i dont have a problem with this concept. typically, after you get tobagage claim it is 20-30 minutes before your luggage arrives. the driver stands around while you all wait for your luggage. when it arrives, he helps carry your bags down an escalator or you take the elevator and outside about 25 feet. then he has to go and get the car, while you wait. i would much rather call the minute i see my luggage and have the car waiting for me when i walked out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter