Confused about DDP - various questions

ccgirl

DIS Veteran
So, I seem to be getting more and more confused about the DDP. We are going in May 2010, staying at BWV on points (so we don't need park tickets - although we'll have AP's), and getting the QSDP. We plan on eating 3 character meals in addition. It is me, DH, DD7 and DS2

Question 1: Can I purchase the DDP for my DS? I called Member services and they said I could not because he would need tickets so I would be better off paying OOP for him. I thought those staying with points don't need tickets? Is this just a case of a misinformed cast member?

Question 2: What happens to those 3 CS meals that we will not use? For example, would I be able to use those meals for my DS2? Has anyone purchased the DDP for a child under 3?

I had read somewhere that there will be 2A1C on my card so I can never order more than those meals at one time. Would that prevent me from ordering those at one restaurant and then going to another CS for 1 more child CS?

Question 3: Picnic in the Park at AK. I know if there is no child's menu the child can order from the adult menu. Is this true here? For example, if we order for 3 will they use 2A and 1C credit or will they take 3A credits so either myself or my DH will be one credit "short"?

Thanks.

Question 1: Can I purchase the DDP for my DS? I called Member services and they said I could not because he would need tickets so I would be better off paying OOP for him. I thought those staying with points don't need tickets? Is this just a case of a misinformed cast member?

Technically, if you make the 2-year-old a "child" for dining plan purposes, they're a child for all Disney-related purposes. That said, since you don't need to buy a ticket package for a DVC stay, you should be able to do as you suggest. Just buy the park tickets separately.

Question 2: What happens to those 3 CS meals that we will not use? For example, would I be able to use those meals for my DS2? Has anyone purchased the DDP for a child under 3?

As long as you use the meals for members of your party, and don;t use child credits for adult meals, there's no real rules violation. You won't be able to order more meals than there are people listed on your reservation (so, if you don't upgrade the 2-year-old, you should only be able to get at most 2 adult and 1 child meal at a time using credits).

I had read somewhere that there will be 2A1C on my card so I can never order more than those meals at one time. Would that prevent me from ordering those at one restaurant and then going to another CS for 1 more child CS?

Nothing will prevent this.

Question 3: Picnic in the Park at AK. I know if there is no child's menu the child can order from the adult menu. Is this true here? For example, if we order for 3 will they use 2A and 1C credit or will they take 3A credits so either myself or my DH will be one credit "short"?

CS credits aren't actually separated adult/child; it's up to you to make sure you're following plan rules on that score. To date, no one's reported any problems using a 2A/1C to get a "picnic in the park" package, and the normal rule of "if no kid's menu, just use the adult menu" would apply.

All you have to do is up DS to 3yo with Member Services to add him to the DP with his own credits. Since your doing 3 TS meals have you checked the math for the basic dining plan. I think you may do better on that plan.

Thanks for the replies so far. I did do the math and because I also have the TIW card and can get 20% off those TS (character meals) it is still a better deal for me to do the QSDP. Plus, I don't want to be tied down to 7 ressies. Thank you for the suggestion though. It is much appreciated.

You might ask on the DVC board if anyone can help you with buying the plan for your 2yr old... however, since you are eating and paying OOP for the character meals - then you can use those credits for your child..

Many reports are saying that the child credits for the CS are still "pooled" which means it doesnt matter - dh usually goes with dd to sit and I do all the ordering -

so if you are staying 5 nights you have all your credits for those nights automatically added to your Dining card - and you technically could use all the credits in one day - -

Also, I've not used the QSDP - but we always share a CS breakfast and a CS lunch - its just a lot of food - since you are at aBWV - there arent any CS places for breakfast - you end up just eating breakfast in the room - I usually have fruit (bananas, grapes) snacks from the day before (Sunshine Seasons in Epcot is one of the best places!!)

I agree w/Sandy's line of thinking...it may be overkill to add the 2yo to the plan. When my son was 2 there was no way he would have eaten the value of the plan. It would have been a complete waste. Once he is 3 you will have to pay and even many 3 year olds don't eat enough to justify having their own credits, lol. You may do more sharing than you realize.

Very valid points. I think I will just keep my DS2 off the plan. I forgot you can get dessert with the CS and I think fruit is an option at a lot of places - that is one of his favorite "meals" if you can call it that. Thanks again to everyone!

Jumping in late. I just want to make sure you understand that there really is VERY limited use of the Counter Service plan at Boardwalk Villas. I would say that is by far the worst resort to have to use CS. No place to self refill those refillable mugs you get on the plan (you can refill in the bakery or the pool, but they will not actually fill your mugs, you will get paper cups and you have to wait in line to get the refill). Unless you plan on eating all your meals at parks I would carefully consider whether the QSDP is for you.

We are going to BWV in April and I think I am skipping DDP all together (although we did love the QSDP when we were at POP). I think the TIW will work much better for us that trip!

I also agree it is overkill for you to include your DS. Remember even on the QS plan if you get breakfast you get a side items with it and drinks (on top of the mugs) but again you won't have any place to order breakfast and refill mugs at the BWV. I don't mean to be a downer, I am just pointing it out since we have done both plans and would now after doing it not consider QSDP at BWV. But we like to eat at our resort and do parks when we are in the parks.

I think you already made a decision, but I just wanted to add/ask a couple things. I would assume even though you thought about adding him to the QSDP that you would in turn not expect to be charged for him at the character meals you are paying for as he is not really 3. I would make sure not to charge to my room key as it would state you had a child on the plan and yet you told them your child is not 3 at the buffet. I even wonder about this sometimes with tickets that are KTTK tickets. People who have upgraded their 2 year old (not you) it lists them on the dinning portion of the card but then they do not need a ticket at the gate, do people at the gate never notice or question this. I guess not since you are moved through so fast. Just a couple thoughts. I do agree with most posters, especially with paying for it and not free DDP I think it would be more cost effective to just share with the 2yr old and buy him an occasional treat or use some of your snack credits for him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter