• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Conflicting reports of Swine flu reported at DisneyWorld

We live in OK, a state sandwiched between two states that have confirmed cases (KS and TX) QUOTE]

Frankly, I'm not so sure we don't already have a big outbreak of this stuff in OK, and probably other states. Unless they specifically test for the swine flu strain, they have no way of knowing what strain of flu a person has. Plus, I heard the press conference online this morning and the doctor said that all they could tell from the test results at the hospital was the guy in Florida had Influenza A (which is common), but they had to send it to CDC before they would know if it is the swine strain of Influenza A. So short of all doctors actually sending everything to CDC, it doesn't look like they would know which flu someone has. I know at least 4 families in the OKC area who have been hit by the flu in the past week and a half, none of whom have contact with each other. One of my friends that has the flu right now said her doctor told her yesterday that they thought flu season was just about over and now the doctor's office is extremely busy and overloaded with patients that are suffering from the flu. So something is definitely going around OKC. Swine flu has the same symptoms as any other flu, and I know my friend wasn't tested, so without specific testing who knows. A lot of people who have the flu don't even go to a doctor. Any kind of flu is bad, so aside from the fact that it will spread faster and to more people, I don't know that getting the swine flu is any different than getting any other kind.

lvstich-- That is horrible and heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug:

There was a very nasty bug going around WDW the past few weeks. Lots were sent to the hospital. My cousins in NY got very very sick from a weird flu a few weeks ago as well. They had to go to the hospital and are still not 100%. They are healthy young people. That is the thing-this is affecting young, healthy people (like the 1918 flu.) The body goes into overdrive fighting the flu and the lungs fill up with fluid.

WoW Way to rain on my parade..All serious aside I wonder if people have been seen with mask at Disneyworld

I got a call this morning from one of the resorts asking if we had masks available. Guest were requesting them. Of course, we didn't have any.

Sheesh, I wish everyone would stop using language like "drowning in their own lung fluid" or "then your lungs fill and you drown" and so on. That is really ridiculous and will most likely heighten the fear of many reading this thread. We don't even know the facts yet so please stop comparing this swine flu to the 1918 strain. Let's try to remember there are sooooo many variables here in play. Nobody can say for sure what this strain is essentially made up of yet. Jumping the gun and making statements like the above is just going to make it all that much harder for people to stay calm. I really think we should just take a watch and wait stance and not be consumed by fear of the unknown with this thing. :goodvibes

Sheesh, I wish everyone would stop using language like "drowning in their own lung fluid" or "then your lungs fill and you drown" and so on. That is really ridiculous and will most likely heighten the fear of many reading this thread. We don't even know the facts yet so please stop comparing this swine flu to the 1918 strain. Let's try to remember there are sooooo many variables here in play. Nobody can say for sure what this strain is essentially made up of yet. Jumping the gun and making statements like the above is just going to make it all that much harder for people to stay calm. I really think we should just take a watch and wait stance and not be consumed by fear of the unknown with this thing. :goodvibes

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/27/gupta.qanda/index.html

CNN: Sanjay, one question that we haven't gotten to ... most of the people who died from swine flu in Mexico were in the prime of their lives really, and this usually hits infants or the elderly. What does that say to you as a doctor?

Gupta: This is interesting. And the same thing happened in sort of a nonintuitive way when we were talking about SARS and when we were talking about avian flu.

Think about it like this: Typically, you think of someone who has a weakened immune system, who's going to be most adversely affected by an infection. Their immune system simply can't fight it.

But in these cases, it's the immune system itself that reacts robustly, and it's the immune system in that reaction to the virus that is causing death in these patients. So the virus starts that cascade, but all that fluid builds up in the lungs, and all those inflammatory cells throughout the body -- that's what's causing the problem. We saw the same thing with SARS and with avian flu as well.

Which is why exactly as you said ... [people in their] 20s and 30s and 40s, this hospital behind me, they say that's been the bulk of their patients with regard to swine flu.

And I wonder how many other people she infected while she was there ?

None....she was not running a fever or coughing or sneezing. Just feeling a little achey....she took two tylenol and enjoyed her days. If you had a headache or a stuffy nose would you have forgone your days in the parks and stayed in your room? We use hand sanitizers and always wash our hands after using the bathrooms. I stated we , meaning myself and my four year old got very sick after we got home, it was not the same as my 16 year old had by any means.

I would have been in the parks to. Some people's lives come to a halt when they get a sniffle. Not mine. That doesn't mean that I don't exercise some caution: cover mouth/nose when coughing or sneezing; frequent hand washing; etc.

Now if I suspected that I had some highly infectious, possibly pandemic causing virus, that would be a different story.

Definately not panicking here!!

Thanks..she wasn't coughing or sneezing and of course would have covered her mouth if she did. She was just feeling a little achey...for all I know she could have had sore muscles from all the walking lol! She took two Tylenol and forgot she was even feeling yucky at all.

And yes we carried sanitizer for our hands and washed them often :goodvibes

I thought the same thing! I have seen several comments on this thread alone about people saying my kid (or other family member) had the flu on our last trip but it wasn't bad enough to keep them confined to the room. :confused3 Honestly people have some consideration for others! If you or your child gets sick on vacation STAY IN YOUR ROOM!

I can see if they have a fever, or are coughing allot...but seriously if I pay $4000.00 to go to Disney World once every two years...no way am I gonna stay in my room if I get the sniffles!!!

Add one more to that list. We just lost a beautiful girl (2 days before her 19th birthday) to a stupid drunk driver. Maybe the news should focus a little more on these people.

:hug: So sorry... that is just too sad for words.

I just left Disney today :sad2: and flew home from Orlando International Airport and didn't see anyone wearing a mask in either place. Hopefully this won't be anything like the 1918 flu outbreak.... people need to calm down and just take care to follow good handwashing and use their common sense. I will be going to work in the hospital I work at in New England on Friday... and honestly I am not scared of getting the swine flu and we apparently have two suspected cases in the hospital I work in. I will do what I always do to protect myself and my family from illness.

While I completely understand the concern, I think we need to put this into perspective. It's treatable! We need to take our precautions and be aware of our surroundings. Other than that, go have fun!

These people aer describing situations that occurred before the current media blitz concerning the swine flu. Very few people are going to quarintine themselves while at Disney World for a minor illness under normal circumstances.

I agree extra caution should be exercised in cases of a possible outbreak. That being said, under normal circumstances, such as those that previous posters have described, if you are afraid of being around illness, you probably should never go to WDW, or the mall, or a school, or the grocery store, certainaly not on an airplane.

Well said :goodvibes

36,000 people DIED in the US from the REGULAR flu since January....... Where was the panic then?

I bet a LOT of people with the flu have been in Orlando since January....

Plus any news from "FOX" should be taken with a grain of salt. I gave up on them after they reported that Challenger was shot down by terrorist... Turns out thier source was a janitor at NASA! LOL!

CNN: Sanjay, one question that we haven't gotten to ... most of the people who died from swine flu in Mexico were in the prime of their lives really, and this usually hits infants or the elderly. What does that say to you as a doctor?

Gupta: This is interesting. And the same thing happened in sort of a nonintuitive way when we were talking about SARS and when we were talking about avian flu.

Think about it like this: Typically, you think of someone who has a weakened immune system, who's going to be most adversely affected by an infection. Their immune system simply can't fight it.

But in these cases, it's the immune system itself that reacts robustly, and it's the immune system in that reaction to the virus that is causing death in these patients. So the virus starts that cascade, but all that fluid builds up in the lungs, and all those inflammatory cells throughout the body -- that's what's causing the problem. We saw the same thing with SARS and with avian flu as well.

Which is why exactly as you said ... [people in their] 20s and 30s and 40s, this hospital behind me, they say that's been the bulk of their patients with regard to swine flu.

And your point is?:confused3 We still don't know for sure. And now you're putting more information on this thread to frighten others. Goodness, the whole reason I posted what I did was to simply help people stay calm and hope that other posters wouldn't keep posting things like this when we just don't know yet. Gosh, are you trying to be inflammatory and cause more panic?

As far Dr. Gupta, he's only speculating. How can he know for sure? Is he running tests at the CDC? Probably the only reason he was even asked is because he is recognized as a media personality. Also, he was in Mexico City to report on the status of the swine flu...do you seriously think he'd be there if he thought he'd contract it and then have his lungs fill with fluid?? Why don't you read the entire interview:

Dr. Gupta says it's too early to tell anything and that the swine flu doesn't seem to be lethal the way the 1918 one was.

We all just need to stay calm, be sensible and stop comparing it to the 1918strain because this strain is....t-r-e-a-t-a-b-l-e.

Forget about getting your information form CNN, or Fox, go to CDC or the WHO websites-
the cable news stations are doing nothing but creating fear and panic
did anyone watch the Dialy Show last night? Snoutbreak 2009

Forget about getting your information form CNN, or Fox, go to CDC or the WHO websites-

LOL...I saw that...too funny!

I really don't know what to think about this Swine Flu yet...I just hope people don't start dying from it! And if people have flu-like symptoms, they should just stay home. :confused3

Exactly!:thumbsup2 The only reason I posted the above CNN link was that the poster who responded to my previous post (say that 10 times fast!:lmao:) quoted that article regarding information. I've been checking both the CDC and WHO sites for updates. :goodvibes

The cases of swine flu that have been critical have had patients ending up on ventilators..me personally, I'd rather have an idea of the worst case scenario. Hiding and trying to sprinkle pixie dust on it doesn't really do much good. This virus does attack lung tissue, and basically, the effect is you suffocate. This doesn't seem to be happening in the US(yet) but it may.

I think the CDC, and other groups should make it very clear what this can entail. Maybe then, it will be taken seriously. This could go away soon or it could be bad news..people need the facts.

I think this swine flu thingh is being blown out of proportion. Remeber the bird flu a few yrs back that was suppsoed to become a pandemic but never did? and what about sars, same thing, and the swine flu of the 70's?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter