• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Conflicting 'Ohana reports

I loved Ohana before our three boys started becoming "Disney adults" because it was a relatively good value and the appetizers, salad and dessert were all quite tasty. With little kids, it's plentiful food in a fun atmosphere. With with two pre-teen "Disney adults," it ceases to be such a great value and we can find better food elsewhere.

So when we're looking for good food (that may appeal more to OP's BIL) we enjoy California Grill and Le Cellier. When trying to demonstrate that Disney food can be interesting, I recommend those places but not Ohana.

On the other hand, the character breakfast is so fun and the early morning atmosphere is great - that's when we want to be at Ohana!

We love the atmosphere, the fun and especially the food. We have had great luck with it all being very good. That was the one place I HAD to convince my sons to go to on our upcoming trip. They haven't been before and I'm so excited to share it with them.

Karla, I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your signature and how much we agree that a vacation IS a great investment in your family. :)

We've done it for years (since '04 I believe?) and love it every time. We haven't noticed the quality go downhill. And the guys in my family would be very vocal if they thought something was wrong with their meat :rotfl:.

Another thing to remember is that you'll read good and bad about every restaurant, and everyone has a different palate. The only way you'll know if its one that you enjoy is trying it for yourself. And if you don't like it, you can put it on your "never again" list, not wonder anymore if you'd like it, and have a great story about your horrible meal for the DIS when you get back :rotfl:.

In all my years on the Dis, I don't think there's every been total agreement about anything. We came close one time when 99% of people agreed that Disney World is in Florida, but even then there were a few dissenters.;)

I was a little worried when went this time, because of the reviews. We were there 2/15 for our first visit for dinner (had been to breakfast 6 times) and loved it. The shrimp and chicken wings were a hit with ds(12). I loved the pot stickers, chicken wings, and the steak (didn't try the pork or chicken I liked the others so much.) Dh loved everything. Dd (15) is allergic to gluten and the chef made her her own food and even made her a flourless choclate lava cake, which she loved. The kids say that its a keeper for future trips.

Our Ratings of Ohana:
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: C-
. . . food quantity per serving: A
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C+
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff helpfulness: B-
. . . character interaction: B

NOTE: As a character meal, it is one of the better choices.
However, as with most character meals, you are paying for
the characters and not the food. After labor costs, there is
not much profit left for great food. The food quality is neither
good nor bad - it is just dependably average.
For characters, go -- for food, select another eatery.

We didn't like it but there are restaurants that we love and people hate it. But we've only been for dinner.
The character part is only for breakfast (I'm not sure if you knew that and that is what you were referring to), not dinner and most of the pp have mentioned/reviewed about dinner not breakfast. Its not a regular buffet either for either meal & if your BIL is a food snob, it might not be the best choice, although I don't think a buffet would be a good choice for a food snob as you call him anyway - lol...

We dined at "Ohana twice during our vacation 2 weeks ago. During both visits the food was fantastic. I didn't notice any decline in the quality of anything food-wise. Service, however, was like night and day. We had the best server and the worst server. Amazing how different dining experiences can be at the same restaurant based on service.

We love Ohana. It is a must-do every trip. We are in love with the wings and the bread pudding. It's nice to solicit opinions, but everyone likes something different-give it a try!

Went for breakfast and it was pretty good. Went for dinner a couple years back and the service was terrible. Absolutely terrible. Called the restaurant manager to discuss twice and never received a return phone call. Needless to say, I will NEVER go back.
Hope you have a better experience!

We love Ohana and went twice our last trip! It just really is personal I guess. I like me meat well done, loved the sides bread and salad.

'Ohana is different kind of restaurant. It is primarily a carnivore's heaven. The meat is cooked on skewers over a fire so it will always taste smokey and it will always be a bit drier than other alternatives, the same with the shrimp, which is peel and eat, which is ALWAYS going to be messy. Despite this many people will still go there, eat and then be unhappy because they don't like smoked or drier meat or find the shrimp messy and overcooked (it's not overcooked, it's grilled). With regard to the temp. of the steak ... If you want med-rare or med-well you ask for it specifically, otherwise you'll get what they have on that particular skewer.

'Ohana is great for what it is but it will never please everybody.

We went in November and I booked it 180 days out to get the primo time so we could watch Wishes.

I was very excited but after waiting 45 minutes for the table in what was a pretty loud and crowded waiting area and not getting a window seat and then standing to take my special needs nephew who was 17 at the time over where we stood in front of a pillar to along the walkway to watch Wishes where we weren't blocking anyone's view but a woman at the table next to us louldly berated us for being so rude and commenting that I "didn't even have any kids with me" and I was rudly "creeping on her table" He was so embarrassed he was nearly in tears. She couldn't possibly have known that he had special needs but I think it probably colored my take on the experience.

So....afterall of that and all of the struggle to get there I didn't find the meal memorable enough to want to return. I'm sure the food was fine and the CMS was nice. It just seemed the deck was stacked against us and it didn't turn out to be a calm and relaxing meal with the magic of Wishes over the castle I'd hoped for. Maybe it's my fault for building it up too much in my mind but I don't know that I'd return. I do recall really enjoying the salad though.

We ate here on our trip in July '10. I have to say that the sides were great (could have just eatten the noodles alone or the potstickers with them). I can honestly say the reviews about the meat served varies from night to night /service to service. The night we went the steak was tender and juicy, the shrimp was cooked just right, I dont remember the other 2 meats they served because I declined them in favor of the shrimp and steak. As for the bread pudding, I had special ordered a cake so they only brought out a small portion which myself and my daughters tried (DSis is allergic to dairy so she had a special desert brought out for her) and thought it was pretty good.

You will tend to hear lots of mixed reviews of O'hana.

So, if the food is so terrible, why is this place booked up 5 months out?
The meat is great...shrimp, chicken, steak, pork...tough to beat.

I was thinking the same thing. We are going in May and every dinner reservation is booked for the whole week between 4-8 pm.

We love Ohana for dinner. We go every trip and have enjoyed it thoroughly each and every time.

If the meat is too dry, use some dipping sauce or ask for it rarer.

The entertainment is always fun, and frankly, the cocktails there are some of the best you can get in Disney World. The Lapu-Lapu's and Backscratcher's are unique to Ohana and are very good.

Wow! Thanks for the replies!!!!!!! I think we are going to give it a try. I didn't realize thered we entertainment? What can I expect????

I know it's not cost effective, but can I order my DS chicken nuggets instead of the meats and sides? My DH and I are excited to eat there, but if my DS can't order something different, we won't be able to go. :sad1:

Great point.....I just tried making reservations at the 180 day mark for our Aug 2011 trip and the place is booked solid. When I tried booking reservations for O'hana for our Aug 2009 trip the place was booked solid 90 days out.

My advice to the OP, if you want to try O'hana then just do it. Come to your own conclusions. If I listened to all the negative comments on disboards regarding certain restaurants I would have missed out on some great eating experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter