• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

**CONFIRMED** Rumor About the Resort Refillable Mugs!

I disagree with your math is all. I agree you in reason, it sucks that people do it. I just think in the big picture this is not where the concern should be. Maybe cast members policing better would be a logical first step.

And I would disagree with our math here. Instead of a couple of pennies for a RFID chipped mug, you want them to spend dollars per hour to have a CM stationed at every drinks station?

I see no problem here with the new mugs. Disney has come out with multiple pricings depending on length of stay. No one is required to buy them. They are included if you have a dining plan. They help stop or greatly reduce the occurance of theft at a cost of pennies per mug to Disney. And you really have no idea of the scope of the theft problem. A mug full of Coke may only cost Disney a couple of cents for the syrup and filtered carbonated water. But they are losing the cost of the mug as well. If the total amount was miniscule I doubt that they would have found it necessary to take the steps they did.

I am not bothered about the new change, but if anything, I'm quite happy about it! Hopefully this will bring along a new mug design, but also I love the new option to have access to drinks at other Disney resorts. This will be far more convenient for us.

We wouldn't pay $18 for some soda- that would work out at $90 for our family. We just enjoy the perk of refillable mugs when they come with the deluxe dining plan.

Needless to say, I am looking forward to trying out these new mugs in November. Like I said, $18 is ridiculous, but for our 11 night stay, we'd only have to buy about $1.60 of drinks a day to make it worth it. So it depends on how long you stay. For a four night stay it would be $4.50 a day which to me would totally not be worth it.

I have never been bothered by people re-using mugs. That isn't really my business and I am just happy about being on vacation! The soda costs so little that I really doubt this is a huge problem. It does feel like Disney is saying 'we don't trust you' by putting RFID in the mugs, but I'm not too bothered.

I'm fine either way, but really, I just don't see the point in worrying about what others do on vacation. There are people everywhere that don't follow the 'rules'.

I also in most cases wouldn't describe it as 'stealing' reusing mugs. Most people likely aren't aware you can only use mugs during the trip they were bought on. And I doubt they think 'I will just 'steal' some soda'. Really- it just isn't that big of a deal- not something we should trouble ourselves with too much. :)

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I am actually excited about it and I hope that it is fully rolled out by the time that we go in December. Dh and I are planning on visiting other resorts to look at all of the holiday decorations and now that they are changing the rules to be able to use the mugs at all of the resorts not just the one you are staying at im excited.

I'm a little worried about the lockout time as we are fill, drink gulps, refill to go back to room people. But other than that, Really, Really want a new design!

And I would disagree with our math here. Instead of a couple of pennies for a RFID chipped mug, you want them to spend dollars per hour to have a CM stationed at every drinks station?

I see no problem here with the new mugs. Disney has come out with multiple pricings depending on length of stay. No one is required to buy them. They are included if you have a dining plan. They help stop or greatly reduce the occurance of theft at a cost of pennies per mug to Disney. And you really have no idea of the scope of the theft problem. A mug full of Coke may only cost Disney a couple of cents for the syrup and filtered carbonated water. But they are losing the cost of the mug as well. If the total amount was miniscule I doubt that they would have found it necessary to take the steps they did.

No not a cast member standing at the station but from all accounts posted on the boards it is visible and not enforced. Some enforcement would deter it more often.

No not a cast member standing at the station but from all accounts posted on the boards it is visible and not enforced. Some enforcement would deter it more often.

One CM against a group of people using old mugs is a recipe for disaster. Even if they stopped the current guests at the machine, 5 minutes later another person could be doing the same thing. If the CM wasn't able to get to them in time and the first group saw the second group get away with it, you can bet the CM would be getting an earful. It isn't worth the possible risk to the employees to approach guests who know they are breaking the rules. People who are purposely breaking the rules could potentially have no problem getting hostile with a CM, and Disney would not risk their employees safety or the risk other guests witnessing a confrontation. They have joined with a company that will benefit them in getting their previously lost revenue in the easiest, safest way. No one is forced to use it, and Disney is well within their rights to come up with a way to get the money they should have been getting all along from those who thought the rules didn't apply to them.

One CM against a group of people using old mugs is a recipe for disaster. Even if they stopped the current guests at the machine, 5 minutes later another person could be doing the same thing. If the CM wasn't able to get to them in time and the first group saw the second group get away with it, you can bet the CM would be getting an earful. It isn't worth the possible risk to the employees to approach guests who know they are breaking the rules. People who are purposely breaking the rules could potentially have no problem getting hostile with a CM, and Disney would not risk their employees safety or the risk other guests witnessing a confrontation. They have joined with a company that will benefit them in getting their previously lost revenue in the easiest, safest way. No one is forced to use it, and Disney is well within their rights to come up with a way to get the money they should have been getting all along from those who thought the rules didn't apply to them.

Good lord I have I never said it wasn't their right. I am sick MY opinion being twisted into more than I said.
I base MY opinion on this:
Some of the guilty people don't know yet are not supposed to, if corrected they would likely stop.
The ones who know better, also know it is not enforced and told once would likely stop.
The remaining few will find a way around it either way.

I don't see gangs of people storming the machines with pitch forks. It is just well know that it has never been enforced.
AGAIN I DON'T DO IT AND DI T CARE IF THEY DO! I was just surprised that is all.
I also know that soda is marked up 600% and the cost of the cups is very cheap for them. I disagreed with your math of losing $60 per family of four. It is likely more like $6 per family of four. Re read my posts and I say over again that I agree with the problem just surprised by the scale of the reaction.
I see Disney using the tech for a cup refill through out the parks, I am whole heartedly for that.

I feel like you are trying to pick fight that is just my opinion, and most of it I agree with you. I am done with this whole thing.

I APOLOGIZE TO EVERYONE ELSE FOLLOWING THIS THREAD.
Un subbing now!

Good lord I have I never said it wasn't their right. I am sick MY opinion being twisted into more than I said.
I base MY opinion on this:
Some of the guilty people don't know yet are not supposed to, if corrected they would likely stop.
The ones who know better, also know it is not enforced and told once would likely stop.
The remaining few will find a way around it either way.

I don't see gangs of people storming the machines with pitch forks. It is just well know that it has never been enforced.
AGAIN I DON'T DO IT AND DI T CARE IF THEY DO! I was just surprised that is all.
I also know that soda is marked up 600% and the cost of the cups is very cheap for them. I disagreed with your math of losing $60 per family of four. It is likely more like $6 per family of four. Re read my posts and I say over again that I agree with the problem just surprised by the scale of the reaction.
I see Disney using the tech for a cup refill through out the parks, I am whole heartedly for that.

I feel like you are trying to pick fight that is just my opinion, and most of it I agree with you. I am done with this whole thing.

I APOLOGIZE TO EVERYONE ELSE FOLLOWING THIS THREAD.
Un subbing now!

:confused3

In case you really didn't unsubscribe, I was not trying to fight with you or anyone else. I never said anything about you saying they were not within their rights. I was making my own statement. As for the math, a mug is approx. $15, and that is how I came up with $60 of lost revenue. The signage is very clear as to how the mugs are to be used, and it is also written on the mug, so I don't see how people cannot know that what they are doing is against policy.

Since when is having a differing opinion and engaging in a civil conversation considered picking a fight? :confused3

I am looking forward to these mugs. I like the idea for being able to refill at other resorts. I think I will spend a bit more time exploring enjoying a cuppa.

how quickly will they be rolling out? I will be in POR the first part of Sept and hope they have them then

Not as long as your stays are consecutive.

Andre

They are- but one is a dvc stay (family reunion in WDW) and then we are moving to AOA for a few days. Not sure if that matters at all. Our names will be listed under the dvc room so I guess it'll be fine. Thank you!!!!

Yes. The RFID chip in the mug will not be the same as the RFID chip in a paper cup. They will be coded differently. During the test period in 2011, there was a 5 minute lockout feature. This prevented a family of 4, for example, from buying one mug and filling it over and over again while dumping it into other cups for their family to share. With the new machines, a family of 4 with only one mug would have to stand there for 16 minutes to steal the drinks for the other three people without mugs. :rotfl:

So are you saying that I will need to wait 16 minutes before I can refill my mug, but if I buy a paper cup, I don't have to wait to refill it? Like some other people, I usually fill my mug, drink it almost immediately, and then refill it and sit down. Especially, if I have just walked over to the food court from my room in the hot Florida sun.

This is my same pattern at home. Fill my glass with iced tea, drink it immediately, and then refill it to have with my meal.

So are you saying that I will need to wait 16 minutes before I can refill my mug, but if I buy a paper cup, I don't have to wait to refill it? Like some other people, I usually fill my mug, drink it almost immediately, and then refill it and sit down. Especially, if I have just walked over to the food court from my room in the hot Florida sun.

This is my same pattern at home. Fill my glass with iced tea, drink it immediately, and then refill it to have with my meal.

No, she's saying it would take 16 minutes to refill the mug 4 times. The paper cups have a timing feature I don't think it's yet known if the refill mugs will.

No, she's saying it would take 16 minutes to refill the mug 4 times. The paper cups have a timing feature I don't think it's yet known if the refill mugs will.

Is there any limit on how many times you can refill either the mug or the paper cup in a single day. Can I sit and eat and refill my paper cup as many times as I want to while I am eating? Can I refill my mug as many times as I want to in a single day? Or are these questions that we don't know the answer to yet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter