**CONFIRMED** Rumor About the Resort Refillable Mugs!

So, if your mug does NOT have the chip, how would the dispenser detect if it was your first or your fourteenth refill?

It will simply not dispense. In other words, in order for the drink to come out of the dispenser, an RFID chip must be scanned first; if no chip is scanned, no liquid will come out.

Nope. Remember, this is just for the WDW Resort Hotels. That said, I'm hearing some rumors that this might be the first step towards a WDW-wide refillable mug program (like Universal does); that would be something that I would definitely invest in.

Yep! I have a refillable mug from the local water park and it saves us a bundle. Not allowed to take in your own food and drinks there.

- Can the Rapid Fill mugs be used in multiple resort hotels?
Yes. The Rapid Fill mugs may be enjoyed at any resort hotel self-service beverage station.

Wow, the Poly and Contemporary will be swamped with crowds of people popping in from the parks just to fill their mugs.

Ok, this has my just giggling.....really, you'd leave the park you're in, travel by monorail to the Poly or Contemporary, fill your mug, and then travel again by monorail back to your park? All for a "free" refill? Considering the high cost of a day at Disney that just seems like a very funny idea....let's waste 30 minutes (or more) to get a free refill.

Well....maybe my problem is that I don't bother with the $2 sodas in the park or the $15 refill mug....I just drink nice cold ice water for FREE. And it's available for free at every CS restaurant in all the parks, all the resorts, everyday. If the kids want flavor (usually with a meal) then I bring along a flavor pack to dump in, stir and drink. MUCH healthier for you and free.

I loved the article where the person got all upset about Disney doesn't trust us....nope, they don't. And those of you that think it's just a small number of people who are using refill mugs from past visits, please, go spend 30 minutes sitting in one of the value restaurants and watch for yourself. We stayed at POP recently and were eating and just people watching.....I saw more designs on mugs than I did on TShirts...and remember that Disney has had the same design on it's mugs for two or more years now...so these were people bringing them back after several years. And who knows how many were using a mug from a different visit but the mugs are all the same now so you can't tell when they bought it. We probably saw more than a dozen FAMILIES doing this...with 2, 3, 4 or more people in each family. And this was ONE meal....so either we have excellent timing and "caught" all of them at once, or it's a regular thing.

Yes, soda is way overpriced, in Disney and in your local fast food joint....but it's a PURE profit maker for these places....so it's their cash cow and you're milking her for free! Of course Disney is going to want to cut that off...I'm just surprised that it has taken them this long.

To those angry about it.....protest by not buying the mugs......if Disney sees a huge decline in mugs purchased they'll have to consider changes....but honestly I doubt enough people will stop buying them. Especially now that you can take them with you to other resorts. Wonder if they're going to allow you to refill and then bring it into a restaurant? Oops.....wonder if they've thought of that yet, because I guarantee you guests have already!

I did notice that someone posted on that article that they would only buy 2 for their family of 4.....but didn't I read that there was a limit on how many refills you could get....so that plan may backfire.

Seems to be the folks that will benefit most will be those with really short stays or really long stays. Those going the average of 5 or 6 days are the ones paying for new tier pricing.

I did notice that someone posted on that article that they would only buy 2 for their family of 4.....but didn't I read that there was a limit on how many refills you could get....so that plan may backfire.

I think it is a given that there will be some type of limit...probably a time limit between refills. Universal does this. I think theirs is a 10-minute wait between refills. Universal has the Coke Freestyle machines, so I tried a small amount of a weird flavor and hated it...then, I had to wait 10 minutes before I got something else.

A limit like this would be necessary to keep people from buying 1 and dumping into another container.

By the way, this was posted on another forum...regardless of the price of soda, this has to cost Disney money...

image.jpg

Ok, this has my just giggling.....really, you'd leave the park you're in, travel by monorail to the Poly or Contemporary, fill your mug, and then travel again by monorail back to your park? All for a "free" refill? Considering the high cost of a day at Disney that just seems like a very funny idea....let's waste 30 minutes (or more) to get a free refill.

I personally probably wouldn't, but from what I read on the DIS, it would be one of the less far-out things a lot of people do to save money at the parks.

(And BTW, the Contemporary is a ten-minute walk from the MK. No monorail needed.)

Nope. Remember, this is just for the WDW Resort Hotels. That said, I'm hearing some rumors that this might be the first step towards a WDW-wide refillable mug program (like Universal does); that would be something that I would definitely invest in.

That would be great.

If this is the start of a WDW wide refill program (including restaurants within the parks), that would be awesome, especially for those not on the DDP. It would be nice if they offered a option to re-use the mug for your next visit to keep expired mugs out of landfills. Also, for AP holders who go multiple times a year, an option to buy the mug for a longer period of time would be nice.

So if on the dining plan is the mug still going to be good till midnight the day of checkout?

- Can the Rapid Fill mugs be used in multiple resort hotels?
Yes. The Rapid Fill mugs may be enjoyed at any resort hotel self-service beverage station.

Wow, the Poly and Contemporary will be swamped with crowds of people popping in from the parks just to fill their mugs.

But would it be worth all that time and trouble?

By the way, this was posted on another forum...regardless of the price of soda, this has to cost Disney money...

image.jpg

This is so wrong. :sad2: Just one example of blatant abuse. Can't really blame Disney for having to implement changes to restrict losses and theft.

Ouch. Pricey. I am currently a season pass holder at Sesame Place (owned by Sea World). Their refillable mug...or should I say canteen because it is large, is used in the theme park. It cost a season pass holder only $19.99 for use from April through end of October and during 3 weeks they open at Christmas/New Years.

Btw- they have been using RFID technology for three years. It's in between two layers of plastic on the bottom. If you buy a single use cup, its a sticker, and you can get one additional refill within 60 minutes of the first.

I hope the new mugs are not inconvenient. I know my teenage son fills his with powerade, drinks it down in about 2 swallows and fills it up again before heading back to the room. If you have to wait in between refills that might be irritating. On the bright side though with the RFID chip there would be no reason not to install drink dispensers at more places on the resort. I am sure part of the reason they did not do it before was lack of control over the drinks.

We get the mugs every trip- used to buy them before they were added to the DP. When the food court is crowded, we'll get a drink & finish it quickly, then refill and bring it back to the room. Not a huge deal if there's an empty table to sit at, but at night, after walking all day in the parks, who wants to have to stand around waiting by the soda machine? Plus, DD10 is a "spiller". Guess we'll be spending extra time at the food court...doesn't bother DH...but I'm a commando type A person. Ohhhhhh progress....

Hmm I wonder how this will work for split stays. If you purchase 15 nights but stay at 3 resorts in that time...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter