Confessions of a FP+ Kiosk Newbie

I could not help but think the people behind me were mumbling "newbie" to themselves.

I noticed a line 30 people deep at about 7:30p waiting for FP kiosk access

My bottom line advice: avoid this method of scheduling FPs if at all possible for you.

1) Well, now you know what we really think of you.

2) Makes you want to just get in line and wait for the ride you might be hoping to get for your 4th FP (in other words the attraction you get a 4th or 5th FP for at this time of day will need to have a 45-60 min. wait time when you use the FP to have even made the kiosk wait worth it...and we are talking BARELY here). I would be the one holding up the kiosk line to check wait times on mde before choosing my next FP.

3) Not possible with current 4th and 5th FP distribution method. I look for the kiosk lines to build by mid-afternoon as the word gets out.

I'm sitting here giggling because I get sooo impatient behind slow people at the ATM. You're getting cash, this can't have been your first time!! :rotfl:

I'm going to have to be mindful of my impatience while there and remember that the kiosks will always be new to someone (including myself). :)

Hopefully by October we can use the MDE app to schedule 4th fast pass.

Thanks for report!

I walked right up to the Fantasyland FP+ station today around 3pm with no line. I just chose whatever ride - didn't matter. After that, used the app on my phone to surf for better options. One thing I've noticed is that the times for passes are random - if there's none that suit you, check back in 10 minutes.

I walked right up to the Fantasyland FP+ station today around 3pm with no line. I just chose whatever ride - didn't matter. After that, used the app on my phone to surf for better options. One thing I've noticed is that the times for passes are random - if there's none that suit you, check back in 10 minutes.

Sounds like you had linked tickets. Why would you use the kiosks at all?

I like the kiosk/MDE approach for FP 4 and above. I will try that.

Yeah, that sounds like the best option at the moment. Use the kiosk when scheduling 4th 5th or 6th etc FP+ and take first thing that pops up...then manage it in the app and move it around to whatever attraction/time you;d prefer?

I am not a fp+ proponent by any means and was a fp- "super user" but this thread got me to wondering.....I have been the designated fp- runner for many years and I travel with a large family. At MK, a typical day for me would have started out a couple years ago with my family running off at RD to Dumbo while I went to Space mountain to grab fp's. Then we would hit the Fantasyland rides and as soon as 9:50 would roll around, I would run to another machine (probably PP) while my family headed to another ride. Then, as soon as I was able, while they headed to Tomorrowland, I would book it to Frontierland and grab passes for Big Thunder or Splash. Then I would have to hurry back to where they were waiting for me at the fp return line at Space. Certainly, I spent more than 10 minutes running around gathering my first 3 fp-. I totally agree with OP that if at all possible to make your allotted 3 fp+ ahead of time so you don't have to stop at a kiosk but all things considered, don't think 10 minutes is bad for gathering 3 fp's compared to the previous system.

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents about the kiosks. We were at MK yesterday, and although most sites showed a crowd level of 5, it seemed way busier than that, like a 7 IMO, possibly because of the rain on Friday and Saturday, and cheerleaders finishing their comp at WWoS at some point on Sunday.

We had 3 fastpasses scheduled ahead of time, and once I heard about the 4th FP I moved all 3 fastpasses as early as possible. This is key. The minute you finish your last FP, immediately go to a kiosk and book the next earliest FP for something you can tolerate riding. Continue in this fashion. In between waits for FP, ride the non-demand rides (we did Carousel of Progress - I think this was my first time in 10 years!, Peoplemover - turned out to be on of my DS9 faves, lol, character meets, Dumbo, and Barnstormer - all with no fastpass and waits of between 0-30 min) In total, on a fairly busy day, we were able to ride Splash Mtn, BTMR, Speedway, Dumbo x2, Small World, Barnstormer, Peoplemover, Carousel of Progress, Philharmagic, 4 character meets at Pete's Silly Side show, Snow White, and Aurora. We got to the park later than we wanted (10:30am) and also took a break back at the hotel from 3:30-6:30. We returned for the parade and fireworks.

We saw LOTS of people waiting in Standby lines, and while the waits for a kiosk were about 5-10 minutes, we felt it was way better waiting in the kiosk line, getting the next available fastpass for a ride, and walking right on into the FP line. The kiosk lines look long, but were much more bearable than waiting forever for a ride. There were cast members manning each kiosk to help make things go faster, so I can't imagine what would happen if they took those cast members away. Even so, we experienced a glitch at our 4th FP and in general I find the MDE glitchy - as the kiosk eventually just 'refreshed' and then our info was magically there the 2nd time.

So overall, my first impression of FP+ is that it's not as bad as I expected. What it means is you can't plan, you might need to throw that touring plan out the window now, since the availability of FP4, 5, 6, etc. will determine your next ride, but we were ok with that. Book the headliners as your top 3, and hopefully you'll get on the others at some point. I am the type that usually travels with a touring plan, but this was a nice balance between my go-go-go way of taking on the parks and my DH go-with-the-flow attitude. He felt it was a great day. We'll see how it goes tomorrow at DHS :)

Certainly, I spent more than 10 minutes running around gathering my first 3 fp-. I totally agree with OP that if at all possible to make your allotted 3 fp+ ahead of time so you don't have to stop at a kiosk but all things considered, don't think 10 minutes is bad for gathering 3 fp's compared to the previous system.

It may have taken that long to gather 3 fp-, but who wants to stand in line in a kiosk line and wait 10 minutes per person? I don't know anyone that is ok with waiting behind 5 people (for example) in front of them at the grocery store all writing checks, when they could have just slid a debit card through a machine and been in and out a lot quicker. It may be a stretch of a comparison, but it's ridiculous of Disney to think guests are ok with this.

Re-open FP machines at the individual rides (to be used with MB) and keep the kiosks open for convenience for FP's across the park. They need as many FP disbursement areas possible if they are expecting it to take that long.

Picked a fourth fastpass today at a kiosk at Epcot. Line took all of 30 seconds, and managed to get a reasonable time for test track.

The minute you finish your last FP, immediately go to a kiosk and book the next earliest FP for something you can tolerate riding. Continue in this fashion.

Who would want to repeat a vacation like that? Guests shouldn't have to feel like that.

Picked a fourth fastpass today at a kiosk at Epcot. Line took all of 30 seconds, and managed to get a reasonable time for test track.

What time were you in line, that you got a test track FP. How long after you were in line was the FP time?

I spent probably 10 minutes at a FP+ Kiosk in City Hall yesterday afternoon drilling down to my ultimate, less-than-ideal, choices of It's a Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Under the Sea. I could not help but think the people behind me were mumbling "newbie" to themselves. (Yes, I am aware of how my choices were limited due to the time of day.)

But my point is that this process is far more cumbersome than I expected it to be. My career is in IT, and I think I'm pretty sharp at it if I humbly do say so myself. I also studied a priority list that some DISer posted to speed the process. And it still took me 10 minutes, using the actual kiosk.

I noticed a line 30 people deep at about 7:30p in the Adventureland/Frontierland breezeway waiting for FP kiosk access (or CMs with iPads). That is not something I would ever have seen before the advent of FP+.

My bottom line advice: avoid this method of scheduling FPs if at all possible for you.

Thanks for the advice. Thank you also for the numerous posts you have made on many topics which have helped me to plan our DW vacation!

Now imagine what it was like back on President's Day weekend when ALL off site people had to book their FPs at kiosks the day they were in the park. It was so frustrating reading the "Get over it. FP+ is great" admonitions from people here.)

I completely agree. I can't stand it when someone, who has had a negative experience with FP+ or MDE, attempts to share their own personal experience and they are attacked for doing so. Why do people feel the need to tell you that your personal experience is not accurate, not valid, or simply the fault of you and not Disney.

Everybody has different experiences. Just because someone's experience is different from your own, that does not mean theirs is not valid. It is good to hear both the positive and negative experiences so as to better prepare for your own trip.

Thanks. Already done-whole upcoming trip in under 10 minutes total. :thumbsup2

I would put yesterday's MK crowd at maybe a 6 or 7, completely subjectively. Upped maybe by the rains on Saturday I'm guessing.

But the root problem to me is how long it seems to take to choose things at a kiosk. I'm of course extrapolating from my experience, but I think that experience is pretty good and at least representative of an average time if not faster than many others. It made me long for the days of picking my FP by walking to the attraction, walking right up to the machines and walking away in maybe two minutes time (and that's assuming I wait behind one or two other parties most attractions at most times of day). Rinse and repeat. It was simple.

I didn't do my favorite yesterday, HM, because it had posted 55 minute standby waits all afternoon long. Roughly twice what I would expect on a similar date with similar crowds in the past.

Okay, so lets break this down. If you spent 2 minutes obtaining a single fast pass in the past, plus the time walking to the machine, and now you are spending 10 minutes obtaining three passes, plus the ability to select your time (based on availability) can you not concede that fast pass + does have some advantage over legacy fast pass? I personally save more than the four minutes in travel alone.

Rather than walking around to all the machines, not knowing when your return time was until you got there to obtain it created its own level of frustration. You then had to stay in the area or return later. I'd much rather spend my time doing other things as opposed to chasing those elusive little slips of paper. Just my opinion.:)

This was for the fourth FP+. I didn't want to stand around with the CM looking when I could do so with my phone right after.

I did the same thing. I couldn't expect the CM to keep refreshing to try and get the experience/time I wanted so I just asked them to select the first thing that came up and then I managed it myself on MDE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter