Confessions of a Disboard Dropout...New chapter 3/14

laura74

DIS Veteran
If you could see me, you’d see that I’m standing with my head down and my tail between my legs. (Ponzi, if you’re reading this, I’m sure that set you up for a snappy reply.)

A couple of years ago I wrote this trip report…

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2905938

And I had a lot of fun reliving the trip and making some funny friends. It was taking up a bit too much of my life though. So I disappeared.

Confession #1: I was a Disboard junkie.

I spent much too much time here. If I wasn’t updating my report, I was checking it for comments. And if I had comments, I tried to come up with witty replies (I said tried!). Sadly, I’m no Ponzi or Nebo in that area. And if I wasn’t in my own report, I was reading a dozen others trying to comment wittily there too.

And then I couldn’t remember the last two days of my trip in any kind of detail. Being a first time trip reporter, I wasn’t smart enough to take notes…or photos. My one vivid memory of those two days is so ridiculous (see end of post). Funny, the stuff that sticks in your head. I think the reason I remember it is because it had to do with yellow jackets…Nebo’s yellow jackets (those pesky pool CMs).

Confession #2: I’m a perfectionist.

If it couldn’t be perfect, I wasn’t interested. I just sort of gave up, dropped out.

I didn’t say goodbye to my Disboard buddies. I thought I’d be back sooner. I was going to write a report last year…took notes and everything… but life got busy and I ran out of steam. So I apologize to Ponzi, Nebo, Smidgy, Marita, Shannon, Marie, Monica, Nilla, Montague, Sandy, Jill, Thumper_Man, Maribeth, so many of you… I can’t list you all. I should have thanked you for all the great posts.

So go ahead. Yell at me. I can take it. Really I can!

Actually, I can’t.

Confession #3: I’m pretty thin skinned.

I think it’s the creative in me. Artists don’t like criticism. I’m also a Cancer and we’re a pretty sensitive lot.

Confession #4: I missed everybody.

So, I dipped my toe back in a few weeks ago. I read about Ponzi’s amazing European vacation and I’m looking forward to reading about his teenage Niagara Falls road trip. I read Nebo’s latest but I don’t see much activity from him and hope he’s ok. And I see Shannon has another trip report too.

So I here I am, turning up like a bad penny, coming back to the Dis to share some Disney memories from our trip last week. Can I do it without becoming obsessed? Will anyone show up?

In case anyone’s interested, here’s the last bit of my 2012 trip.

It was our last day in Kidani and we were in a homeless limbo waiting for magical express. We sadly carted our carry on bag to the pool to get the last bits of Florida sun before returning to reality…and cold.

The yellow jackets were out and they were charged up. There was electric sliding. There was chicken dancing. There may have also been some hokey-pokeying.

We weren’t paying much attention to them though. Monkston (my daughter) was in the pool getting some last slides in. Mr. Squid (my husband) was in the hot tub. And what was I doing? Not living in the moment like I should have been. I should have been enjoying the glorious weather, the cool water of the pool, the swaying palm trees. No, I had to read some more grim tales of Katniss in a dystopian future. At least I was working on my tan while doing it!

About a half hour before we had to pack up for the bus, a new yellow jacket appeared. A quieter, less confident yellow jacket. A yellow jacket in training, I think. He probably didn’t get his supply of Disney amphetamines yet.

He slowly walks forward clutching a piece of paper and announces that he has a Disney trivia contest for us. A contest with prizes.

We like trivia! We like Disney! We like prizes. It’s on!

He reads the first question and we quickly jot down the answer. Ok, young yellow jacket. We’re ready for the next one.

And we wait.

And we wait.

Still waiting.

Still waiting.

It’s about 5 minutes now.

And he repeats the question! This is torture. They should use this technique on prisoners of war. How long is this contest going to take?

Monkston worriedly asks, “Mommy, we’re going to stay for the whole thing, right?”

I don’t know how many questions he has, but I don’t see how this is going to be over in a half hour at this rate.

Finally, the second question! He reminds everyone not to use their smart phones to get the answers. At this rate, I could run back to the lobby, ask a CM for the answer, and grab a soda for the walk back.

“Monkston, go change into your clothes while we wait for the next question.”

5 more minutes go by in which Monkston is able to get changed and leisurely walk back.

The third question is read. And we wait again.

This goes on with more questions. I can’t take it. We have to leave for the bus. What sort of bribery will I need to use to extricate Monkston from the pool?

“How about some Disney chocolates for the ride home?”

Thought so.

[/FONT]

Anyone else have any trouble with My Disney Experience?

I guess before we jump into all that I should introduce the cast of characters on this trip.

There’s me, my husband Mr. Squid and our daughter Monkston. Here we are at Animal Kingdom on one of my worst hair days. Unfortunately, I can't find many photos of the three of us together from this trip. I guess because one of us was usually holding the camera or phone. I love how Monkston still wears Minnie ears.

Joining us again are Sheena, Druid and their son, little Tour Guide Mike (TGM).

We also have my brother and his family traveling with us. I can’t think of any clever nicknames for them and they were absolutely no help in giving me any so they will be their characters in the MDE app.

Here are all the kids, Merida, Monkston, TGM and Wall-E...

And here I am with Mickey and his wife Jack Skellington...

About a month before our trip, I reminded everyone that we would be able to make Fast Pass+ selections. Disney makes this seem very simple.

It is not.

In order for us all to make plans at the same time and to see everyone’s reservations, we all had to be friends in the app. This proved to be not so easy. Sheena would see me but I couldn’t see her. Druid could connect with my brother and his family and I couldn’t. No one was seeing the same thing on any of our computers.

We talked to several people at Disney to try to get everything to work. We would get one thing to work and then another wouldn’t.

At one point Jack Skellington showed up on our reservation with our last name rather than hers. She also had one of our annual passes. Mr. Squid disappeared altogether from our reservation and friend list.

We got back on the line with Disney customer service. They said it was a DVC issue. Got on the line with DVC and they said it was a technical issue. Finally, we got a cast member who was helpful. In fact she might have been a princess. Her name was Arabella and she sounded just like Snow White. She fixed everything. She may have been enchanted.

We had several conference calls between the families trying to figure out what reservations to make. Sheena wanted no part of it, which came as no surprise to me. I could just hear her say, “It’s ridiculous to plan what rides you’ll be going on a month in advance.” And she’s right of course, but you have to play the Disney game.

Choosing our reservations took a surprisingly long time but when we finished we were satisfied with our very clever choices. We could sit back and relax and wait for the trip now.

And then Disney threw a curve ball…the fourth fast pass that’s available after you’ve used the first three. We arranged for another conference call and moved all our fast passes earlier in the day. But not too early! Nobody was looking to get to the parks at opening this year. Except for the 24-hour day at Magic Kingdom…that one we were getting up early for…5:15 am at the bus early.

Fast forward a few weeks…

This year, we’re flying out of our small regional airport on Frontier. The good news is that we have a 10 minute ride to the airport. The bad news is we only get one checked bag per person. I’m going to have to do some serious editing to my suitcase. In the past I’d sneak a few things in Monkston’s bag but now that she’s older she fills hers up pretty well on her own. I think half my bag is shoes and hair products.

I have curly hair. Florida doesn’t like curly hair and will do everything in her humid power to make sure curly hair turn into a frizzy mess. Hence, lots of hair products are needed to vanquish her. I don’t think I ever won that battle with her though.

Before the trip when I was lamenting the upcoming onslaught of humidity on my hair to Sheena she suggested a baseball cap.

“Are you mad? Do you know me at all, Sheena?”
“I don’t care if your hair gets messy. You just worry about what the 10,000 people in the park think of you.”
“No, Sheena. Pictures, remember?”

Confession #5: I wasn’t completely honest.

If I were to be completely honest I’d say, “No, Sheena. I care about what the 30,000 people in the park think of me.”

Insecurity and vanity are an exhausting combination.

I think I have my bag edited to 50 pounds. Mr. Squid brought up a scale to weigh it. I can’t get it to stay on the scale without covering the numbers. Yes, you physics experts, I know I can weigh myself and then weigh myself with the suitcase. But I don’t want to do that before going to a place where I will be wearing a swimsuit. I will have to go with the scientific fingers crossed for luck method.

I double check Monkston’s suitcase and she has all the essentials…Duffy bear, sorcerer cards, bathing suits, her entire underwear drawer… I think she forgot to pack enough actual clothes though. I add some more shirts and t-shirts and she’s done.

Mr. Squid is busily adding timers to the lights and locking up valuables. We will have a neighbor coming over to the house several times a day to take care of the pets so I’m not too worried about the house. I’m a little worried about our dog though. She’s 16 and has trouble seeing in the dark. Luckily, she sleeps most of the time.

Now if we can just get some sleep…

LAURA!

MR. SQUID!

YOU"RE BACK! :dance3::yay::dance3::yay::dance3:

We were beginning to wonder about you. Haven't seen you around in a while. I'm along for the ride.

Should I run out a post a link on our TR? Ponzi's new TR? Or do you want to wait and see who shows up? Or I can shout it from the mountain tops if you like.

giphy.gif

Aw Thumper, you're the best! Yeah, if you could get some of our old friends back that would be great! I won't abandon the Dis again this time.

I'll have to check out your TR now!

Aw Thumper, you're the best! Yeah, if you could get some of our old friends back that would be great! I won't abandon the Dis again this time.

I'll have to check out your TR now!

I'll round up the troops even if I have to hog tie them and drag them here. Well most of them. I know Nebo follows along but doesn't post much anymore. Still going through wrist problems and the eyes aren't doing so great.

I already let Lady H know.

Yeah, I'm all embarrassed. I couldn't remember who you were for a minute. So, I looked at your other trip report and the memory returned when I saw the pics. :cool1: Awesome! I can't wait to hear of your new adventures with your family.

It sounds like we may have been down there at the same time. We came down on May 17 and left on May 26. We just had to try the 24 hours in Magic Kingdom. Couldn't do it. Too hot. (Wow, a TL;DR trip report summary)

Here are all the kids, Merida, Monkston, TGM and Wall-E...

Now is it just me or does anyone else think that Little TGM looks like a young Alan Ruck? Just with blonde hair.

Who's Alan Ruck you ask? Well Cameron Frye of course.

Cameron Frye? Character on Ferris Bueller's Day Off

You know this guy.
fbueller-alan-ruck.jpg

The other 3 remind me of someone as well. Just can't quite place them yet.

Wow Thumper-Man. TGM totally does look like a younger Alan Ruck!

Laura74 - I'm totally enjoying your trip report so far! Don't be ashamed of stepping away then coming back! Welcome back tho! :)

Yes, Alan Ruck with better eyebrows and a more extensive knowledge of Disney trivia.

Marie! So happy to see you again! I wish I'd tiptoed back in sooner so we could have met up last week. We were at the 24 hour day part of the day.

Alyssa, thanks for the kind words. I feel a bit like an ex-con coming back.

I am even worse than you - I pop up only when it's time for me to plan my yearly trip. I take notes, photos and such, fully intending to come here and type a trip report...but then I never do. :headache: Instead, I hang around here pestering people with questions but never give them the pleasure of the hilarious trip reports I have locked in my head.

As for your hair, I feel your pain! I am a curly girl, as is my youngest daughter. I spend more time than I care to discuss each morning in our resort with my flat iron. I shellac my hair with various and sundry products to make it lie straight because there is no way in Hades I'm:
1. Wearing a ball cap
or
2. Going full on curly. I'd look like Carrot Top, only not as good looking.

Same as you - everyone in my family (I'm in charge of planning for my family of 5, the grandparents and the various and sundry aunts and uncles who decide to come along) teases me about this, but the few photos I'm in have to be good! :rotfl:

Hello! Saw your title and I had to peak inside! Hope you don't mind if I join the party! I'll just find a comfy spot and listen in if that's ok. :surfweb:

Hello! Saw your title and I had to peak inside! Hope you don't mind if I join the party! I'll just find a comfy spot and listen in if that's ok. :surfweb:

She's one of the best trip report writers here. Feel free to contribute, it makes it more fun when we all tell funny stories while we wait for updates.

Nope.

Haven't read a thing on your TR yet.
And I'm totally wiped, so I won't read it right now either.

But soon....

soon.

Welcome back Laura.
Very very nice to hear from you again.

yay!!! Laura's back!!!:cool1: now we must do The Dance of Joy!!:dance3:

I admit I don't care for the new and improved FP system... I like it the old way, when you collected fast passes in the morning and used them at night!

thumper and lady H were smart enough to stay away from WDW until this whole thing is worked out.. they keep tweaking it. which is good. i means they're listening to us, I guess. we wanted more than 3 FPs, they gave us more.

but you're right, a lot of people booked their FP+ for later in the day
, planning on going it sans FP in the AM, when lines are shorter.

I'm still a bit confused if I can get a 4th FP if my 3 FP+ have expired. we actually didn't use ours a lot. we took it nice and slow, relaxed a lot, and used the DAS a few times, mostly for shows. but I tried once, Jim the wonderful concierge guy at BWV, assured me I could get a 4th when my first 3 expired. but I guess not.

IT'S SO CONFUSING!!! and I still haven't gottne around to buying a smart phone.. I really don't need one, except for disney., so I'm not very motivated there. lol

at least I don't have the hassle of trying to hook up with 2 other families like you did! yikes!!!

just so you know, Nebo and I both helped Katniss and Peta along in their endeavours while we were at Disney pools. and I liked that series a lot better than the Divergent series.

so anyhow, I'm in. I can't make any promises about Nebo. sorry. his wrist still is killing him,making typing difficult and it hurts his back to hunch over in order to see the keyboard.

so.. tell us more......:love:

Laura! I'm so glad that you're back!!!!

I feel a kinship with Monkston now that I know she packs her entire underwear drawer. I too will never find myself caught without enough underwear. She's a wise young lady.

Can't wait to read more! Welcome back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter