Confessions of a Choco-holic

mom0299

DIS Veteran
I need help! At the beginning of the year DH and I set some weightloss goals that include more getting in shape than necessarily weighing a certain amount. We started out great and I was fixing wonderfully nutritious meals. He is still doing very well. About two weeks ago I started to slip and now I feel like I'm in a free fall that has no end.
DH and I have signed up to run a 5K in March - the first for both of us. We each have exercise rooms at work that we can use free of charge at anytime. I was doing so well and even managed to run for a while on the treadmill. That's a big improvement for me. Well, last week I didn't go at all. On Monday I had someone bring me a Large bag of M&Ms as a thankyou for helping them with something. When I say large bag I'm talking about the big bag that you might buy for a party and pour out into a bowl for people to eat by the handful. Well, the day after she gave it to me the bag was empty. My kids each ate one handful. I'm ashamed to say that I ate the rest of it. :scared1: I just couldn't stop.
Can someone please tell me how to get off this roller coaster and get back on track?

Oh I so know that feeling.

Maybe you can set yourself up with low-fat chooices for when the chocolate urge hits. I try to keep something on hand for those times but I have been know to finish off the jar of M&Ms when onlly that will do.:rolleyes1 I like sugarfree chocolate pudding jello, sometimes mixed with lowfat cool-whip (makes a low fat dip), chocolate animal crackers and I also really like the slimfast shakes.

We've all been there that's for sure.

My downfall is chips more so than sweets but sometimes you just gotta have the chocolate. I like either Slim A Bears or Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches (vanilla, mint, chocolate, even cookies & cream). If I really want the good stuff, I lean toward the real dark chocolate - like 78-82% chocolate so not as much fat/sugar.

Try just deciding tomorrow is day one and think, then it'll be day 2 and I'm on my way again!

Thanks to all of you. It's good to know I'm not alone. I have been doing much better the last few days. And considering I've been home for three days because of snow that's really saying something.
I haven't lost the battle yet!

Glad to see you're doing better. Like someone else posted: You're not alone! *hugs*

I too am (was) addicted I swear to chocolate! I am no scientist but I realized ( a couple of times ) when I stopped eating it after I couple of days it was out of my mind, I didn;t think about it. Almost like caffine, which I have yet to kick that habbit. Of course I have substituted my choclate cravings but if anything, challenge yourself by saying, I am not gonna eat any chocolate for 5 days, know that after 5 days it will still be there and then you can have it but, really you may be surprised to know you don;t want it. good luck.
renee

Thanks for all the support, everyone. I had another bad day yesterday, but I woke up this morning with a new attitude. I've just finished lunch and I can honestly say that I am not ashamed of anything I've eaten today. I need to continually remind myself that "nothing tastes as good as thin feels".

Great attitude. I need to model myself after your strength.

I must confess that I came here to post my downfall. I ate a chocolate cookie this a.m. and while I enjoyed it, I know it will not get me to my goal. I KNOW better yet I sabotaged myself.

I'm back on track right now and will plough through the day with a better attitude.

Be strong everyone!

Good job, Tiger Lily 03. I've learned that it is a huge step to know when you've messed up and not let that get you down completely.

OT: I see you're a runner. DH and I are going for our first 5K in May. Any advice?

I saw the topic and had to give you a little help. I am more of a chocolate shake a holic and can only go a few days without one. When I started my current diet and exercise regiment (12 lbs lighter), I had to figure out a way to get around that craving. What I do now is have a chocolate protein shake for breakfast. The shake includes one banana, a scoop of chocolate protein powder (bought from Wal-Mart), 6 oz of non-fat milk, and two handfulls of ice (approx 250 calories). It honestly tastes better than the shake that I used to get from Carls Jr.

I was watching a show on FitTv called National Body Challenge - Twins Edition. In it, one of the twins has a chocolate addiction that the nutritionist addresses by showing her how to bake chocolate brownies that have only 88 calories and 1 gram of fat per brownie. I will be honest in that I have not tried them yet, but will be later this week. Here is the link to a recipe like the one on the show:

Healthy Decadence Double Chocolate Brownies

Or do a search for 88 calorie healthy brownie for more results.

You may not be able to beat your addiction, but there are ways to use it to your advantage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter