Conclusion - Need to Book FP+ as soon as possible

Fp- ride everything over and over is done and dead, unless you go durning slower times and right now even that is disappearing.

If you going to Disney for thrill rides your going to the wrong park. Go to the dark side.

Couldn't agree more.

Shaden - you are killing me. Just when I think maybe I can put the good old days behind me this comes along.
{insert cheesy death scene here}:sad2:
So - I'm working on making a "good enough" experience for us. (Yes, that is pathetic.) I'm reading this board again. I'm strategizing with throwaway rooms. It's WAY MORE COMPLICATED than it ever, ever used to be.

In all honesty I think you can, and will, still have a great time at WDW. Especially if its been a few years since you have been there and you are bringing new little ones. That is going to be awesome :) And Hey there is usually a week or two in march that have low to moderate crowds, I guess it depends on Spring breaks and such, so maybe you will get lucky and hit one of those weeks ?

That's the thing, I am not a fan of FP+, but I am still a fan of WDW, and I am sure you are too. Yea we cancelled out May trip for this year because we were worried about the value you of it under FP+ and a couple other things, closures and walls oh my !, but if we can get a decent deal in November (praying for free dining) we will be going then. We still love the place, we just aren't fans of FP+.

But - by this I meant we still have the same folks who feel FP+ works great for them, and the same group of us who genuinely miss FP-. Group A can't change group B's opinions, or vice versa. But I want this board to be a place where both groups can share FREELY what their goals and experiences are. But just having been back the last few weeks I feel like one group gets way more airtime than the other. I'd love to see more threads by people who hated FP+ but how they salvaged their vacation, or strategies for re-riding (if possible), etc.

Oh my 5 same people wasn't directed at you at all, sorry if you thought it was. Just that we are still being told, a year and a half later, by a group of people here on the boards (ironically themselves only about 5 or 6 people) that only 5 or 6 people don't like FP+, everyone else loves it, like 95% of people love FP+, etc etc. Despite that we have literally seen dozens and dozens of individuals posting here about how FP+ has not worked for them, I am sure the number is in the hundreds somewhere, but clearly I have not taken the time to count. Of course there are dozens and dozens and hundreds who have enjoyed FP+, or found it didn't impact them, but to continue to deny that there is a significant number of people who don't like FP+, or struggle to make it "work" for them, is just ludicrous.

If anybody hasn't seen the in park process here was Monday for 4 of us:

Did Soarin SB, then could pick Soarin or TT, went with TT, after selecting we had many times to choose from afternoon into the evening.

20150413_091514.jpg

20150413_091530.jpg

20150413_091601.jpg

20150413_091607.jpg

20150413_091659.jpg

20150413_091726.jpg

If you going to Disney for thrill rides your going to the wrong park. Go to the dark side.
Is the "dark side" universal? Cause that hulk ride is amazeballs. I like how even though it's a typical roller coaster, that launch gives you the theme of Bruce losing control. It's so great.

The Dark Side is likely Universal. And yes we go there even though I don't like my rides too thrilling. It's a nice relaxing rest after visiting the Disney parks.

Is the "dark side" universal? Cause that hulk ride is amazeballs. I like how even though it's a typical roller coaster, that launch gives you the theme of Bruce losing control. It's so great.

We did UNI/IOA as well last week Super fun, very long waits but we could have purchased the FOTL (one time on each ride except the HP rides) for $100 per person 1 park-plus park admission.

Turns out that is priced daily by crowd levels-something an app could do easily throughout the day, or by individual ride.

Last edited:
Jade, thanks for the pictures. Its good to know that on a 2 day in Epcot when you don't need fast passes that fast passes are available day of.

Of course, even on a 4 day This is what Epcot looked like for us around lunch time ...

oh and can't forget:

Look we can find pictures that support what ever narrative we want but doesn't actually change the point.

Every day you wait the less chance you will get what you want to do when you want to do it. No one should take Jade's pictures seriously any more than they should assume that huge lines at FP kiosks (we have pictures of those too) are -always- going to be there. But they might be, because they happen quite frequently, so you are much better off not counting on there being no lines.

Also Jade - I thought you didn't rope drop ? That's some mighty early FP selection. Just think of how much more you could have gotten done on the average day under legacy FP if you had just shown up to the parks early, like you have said you don't do ...

Last edited:
Jade, thanks for the pictures. Its good to know that on a 2 day in Epcot when you don't need fast passes that fast passes are available day of.

Of course, even on a 4 day This is what Epcot looked like for us around lunch time ...

oh and can't forget:

Gee, look we can find pictures that support what every narrative we want but doesn't actually change the point.

Every day you wait the less chance you will get what you want to do when you want to do it. No one should take Jade's pictures seriously any more than they should assume that huge lines at FP kiosks (we have pictures of those too) are -always- going to be there. But they might be, because they happen quite frequently, so you are much better off not counting on there being no lines.

Also Jade - I thought you didn't rope drop ? That's some mighty early FP selection. Just think of how much more you could have gotten done on the average day under legacy FP if you had just shown up to the parks early, like you have said you don't do ...

Mine have dates and times for one, but mostly posted for the process, I have other days available if you want.

And I have always said we reserve FP+ for evenings, leaving every morning for whatever we want-including RD at a park, fishing, golf etc. We just decided to RD and check in park times this trip.

Last edited:
Is there a way to check real time (like right now?) to see what's available? Or do you have to be in the parks to do that?

App was always different from what we saw in the parks, but really not sure on that process.

Im glad the OP posted this. I can't imagine the poor family that dropped 5 grand on a Disney vacation only to spend 60 hours standing in line doing nothing because they were lulled into a false sense of security. If you take advice of the so called OCD planners, the worst thing that happens is get what you want with some up front stress. The worst that can happen if you plan nothing,thinking you'll get what you want at the last minute , is you spend your week standing around in the heat with anxious bored kids watching wait time signs. That's hardly sound advice.
Under the new FP+ system they are locked out of making up for their mistake for their entire vacation. Under the legacy system all they had to do was get up early the next day.

Yes and if you stay at a 3 high level hotels there you get unlimited express passes.

So get off ride get in less then 20 min line or walk right back on.

(1) I was firmly in anti-FP+ camp before experiencing it. I was scared to death it was going to ruin my trip. It didn't. Now, I'm in the "who cares one way or the other" camp. Our trip was every bit as good as trips past, even with us going Thanksgiving week, when we'd never gone at such a busy time before. That said, we are not the kind to ride one ride 5 times. Once per day is enough for most things. If they're super favorites, we'll try for twice. We go to MK and Epcot multiple days, and we're there at rope drop, so it's easy to ride everything we want at least once, probably twice or 3 times, if we're so inclined. We were NOT heavy users of FP-, so we're not heavy users of FP+. The change didn't appreciably affect our trip one way or the other. Granted, I educated myself, so there weren't any real surprises.

(2) When I tried to move FPs around on the same day, heavy hitter rides were not available on the FP system, or only available late at night (Soarin comes to mind, for one). Late at night is technically "available", but who cares because it doen't work for me. Granted, I was there at Thanksgiving week. I'm not saying there weren't options; there were. If you go in with no FPs booked, you can still have a good day. We rode most everything standby, but we're rope droppers. Regardless, I make my FP selections at the earliest opportunity, because I'd hate to be shut out of something just because I procrastinated.

Side note: We did NOT spend extra time in the parks. But WDW was already getting more than it's fair share from me in terms of $$$ spent shopping! It's probably my favorite "experience" at WDW!

Last edited:
Is there a way to check real time (like right now?) to see what's available? Or do you have to be in the parks to do that?

If you have an annual pass you can check on the website anytime! Like I just checked for Epcot and right now Soarin, Test Track, Mission Space, and the fireworks are all gone but you can still get fastpasses for Living with the Land, Journey into Imagination, Spaceship Earth, Nemo and Turtle Talk!

Under the new FP+ system they are locked out of making up for their mistake for their entire vacation. Under the legacy system all they had to do was get up early the next day.

SUCH a good point. The stakes are certainly higher.

Yes and if you stay at a 3 high level hotels there you get unlimited express passes.

So get off ride get in less then 20 min line or walk right back on.

We're just one family, but we did not enjoy Universal. Did it last trip with early entry and unlimited express passes. Yes, they have good rides. I just don't feel like they have the "connective tissue" for want of a better term. It feels like a series of rides, with some crappy food and shopping and scenery thrown in as an after thought. Disney parks can have a completely immersive, otherworldly quality to them. Only the Harry Potter sections of Universal, particularly Diagon Alley captured that. The rest of Universal felt a bit sad to me. Just my opinion. I will say that Universal is catching on, but they're not there yet.

True, but we found RD at DHS without FP+ went great April 8-I think it was a busy park day.

Knocked the big 3 out in well under an hour Easter week.

Got through TSM/RNR in 30 minutes total including stopping for a kiosk (TSM still available) between them. Were at TOT in 35 minutes, it showed 20 but was shorter-at least to the preview room.

It's simple psychology the longer they keep you in a park the more the avg guest will spend on food, waiting for your next pass what shall I do wonder into a shop to look around, oh that's cute ( impulse buy), still waiting let's grab $30 worth of ice cream. Before you know it you 1hr wait has turned into $130 purchasing..

Doesn't work on everyone but slow down and look around next time your there. I have seen it several times last trip.

Hmm, I dunno. I'm not sure the goal of FPP is to keep people in the parks longer overall. I think the goal is to make the park visit efficient... give prebooked rides/experiences, supplement with shows/parades and perhaps an ADR or QS meal and then get visitors out to enjoy their WDW resort. I do see your point though about the times in between FPs...spending money is definitely welcome but that was always the case.

True, but we found RD at DHS without FP+ went great April 8-I think it was a busy park day.

Knocked the big 3 out in well under an hour Easter week.

Got through TSM/RNR in 30 minutes total including stopping for a kiosk (TSM still available) between them. Were at TOT in 35 minutes, it showed 20 but was shorter-at least to the preview room.

Now that's what I'm talking about.
Add in grabbing a Legacy FP just before going on TSMM for a return at 10:05 and you've described our last trip! :)

We're just one family, but we did not enjoy Universal. Did it last trip with early entry and unlimited express passes. Yes, they have good rides. I just don't feel like they have the "connective tissue" for want of a better term. It feels like a series of rides, with some crappy food and shopping and scenery thrown in as an after thought. Disney parks can have a completely immersive, otherworldly quality to them. Only the Harry Potter sections of Universal, particularly Diagon Alley captured that. The rest of Universal felt a bit sad to me. Just my opinion. I will say that Universal is catching on, but they're not there yet.

Universal is just totally different. I'm not saying you did this, but I think the best mindset when going to Universal is not to compare it to WDW at all. It's just its own thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter