Concierge????

just dont give homemade treats,they always end up in the trash.

TammiMcMan said:
I may be completely wrong, but I thought the policy had more to do with people tipping to ensure better service, as opposed to those who tip as a thank you for services already received.

We've stayed in New York city many times and found that the concierges will make reservations and get tickets for you, but if you slip them a tip, the seats or reservation times will suddenly be much better. I thought I had read somewhere that Disney wants all it's guests to be treated equally, regardless of which resort or floor they are staying on. I'd agree with tipping, if it was a case of being thankful for outstanding service. For example, I tip mousekeeping for a well kept room, but I'm not doing it to make sure that we have a room full of towel animals. Threehearts, it sounds like your tipping was done as a thank you after a wonderful stay. Unfortunately, I've seen many who try to tip to get a better room with a better view, or a last minute breakfast table at CRT. As a manager, it's probably difficult to police whether an employee was taking a tip for an exceptional performance or because a guest wanted preferential treatment and enticed the CM with a generous tip. Disney's club level services are very different than what might be found at a Ritz or Four Seasons, so it's difficult to compare them.

I agree completely that if nothing else, great service deserves a letter to that employees manager. I have been told that they are taken into consideration at the employees review.

I had heard the same thing. Tipping for services rendered is different that for services that you want to be rendered. We sent a basket of local treats after hearing that one of the CL staff was form our area. I would have like to express my thanks in cash, but was not willing to see anyone reprimanded because I made a faux pas, and that person was too gracious to point it out.

Did you know their starting pay is only $7.35 an hour?

happymommy said:
I can't believe this - we stayed at AKL concierge and tipped regularly! They took it without question. If we were in the lounge and they brought us a few beers, I gave them a few dollars, maybe $10 or $20 when it was new year's eve. I stay very regularly at Ritz Carltons (yes, I know that is a different company) and always on their club level. They rely on tips for different things - typically a couple of dollars to make a call for you, more for something like getting a dinner reservation for a sold out restaurant. The last time we gave a big tip - $100 - to someone we've seen for over 10 years at the same hotel. She did go over the top for us though. What I'm saying is that you don't have to tip, but they most certainly accepted it at AKL without hesitation. A concierge is a tipped position.
This was my experience, as well, at AKL. They were most appreciative, of course, but never refused. I never had the feeling it was expected, though, which made it easier for me. I get so annoyed with other hotel concierge floors where you are made to feel as though "you're the rude one" to not offer a tip.

35 days and counting!! :dancer: party: :jumping1:

All I'm going to say is that we always tip when we stay Concierge. Never had any problems. My husband and I have traveled for years and have always tipped everywhere. I never even thought about it until I started reading threads here on this board. My parents always tipped so I never gave it a second thought. I think these boards are wonderful, very helpful and it's good to read other people's ideas, but for people like me nothing is going to change. Just my 2 cents.

Looking back over the posts, it doesn't appear as though anyone is trying to change minds. I simply posted the link to Disney's policy on the matter. Personally, I think it is appropriate to tip for exceptional service. Following some outstanding work by a certain concierge team, I was disappointed when they told me that accepting cash tips could prove to be a problem for them. Instead, I sent down a chocolate gift basket, some engraved thank you gifts and I sent a letter to management on their behalf.

In reading some of the posts, there might be some differences in who we are all trying to tip. There is the team that works in the IPO department and at the Disney resorts I've stayed in, there is a concierge team that mans the desks and others who work in the lounge with the food. As food service workers (the ones who HappyMom mentioned in her post), maybe it is acceptable for them to accept cash tips. For those who work strictly on the desk making reservations and what not, perhaps they are the ones who the policy is directed at :confused3 . That would seem to make a little more sense to me.

penel3 said:
This was my experience, as well, at AKL. They were most appreciative, of course, but never refused. I never had the feeling it was expected, though, which made it easier for me. I get so annoyed with other hotel concierge floors where you are made to feel as though "you're the rude one" to not offer a tip.

35 days and counting!! :dancer: party: :jumping1:

WOW, now I am a bit embarrrased, because my DS had talken money out to give to one of the lovely ladies, and I told hom she would get into trouble if she took it. I bet it would have been better than the Maple products that our friends make at their farm.

Nancyg56 said:
WOW, now I am a bit embarrrased, because my DS had talken money out to give to one of the lovely ladies, and I told hom she would get into trouble if she took it. I bet it would have been better than the Maple products that our friends make at their farm.
Nancy, based on what Disney's posted policy is, you were correct in your assumption. There's nothing to be embarrased about. In addition to Tikiman, I've seen quite a few threads where DIS'ers reported that their cash tips were politely declined. Not sure why there are some who can accept readily and those who do decline. As I mentioned in my previous post, maybe there is a distinction between those who work strictly on the desk and those who work with the food service in the lounge.

kirbsam said:
just dont give homemade treats,they always end up in the trash.

Sorry, I have to disagree. I know for a fact that they do treat themselves to homemade gifts. I asked before I gave the gift because I didn't know if it was frowned upon. I have seen them enjoying the treats.

I fact, the last time I gave something homemade. They asked me to bring more next time and I will. :goodvibes

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest