• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Concierge - Upgrade to 1BR?

I sailed Nov 5th and could have upgraded to either a family concierge room or to a 1BR. The fact that you are already concierge makes no difference other then you can get there earlier so there will hopefully still be one available

I sailed Nov 5th and could have upgraded to either a family concierge room or to a 1BR. The fact that you are already concierge makes no difference other then you can get there earlier so there will hopefully still be one available
Are upgrades still taking place at port check-in?

I'm curious too - but we're out of Galveston. Another post mentioned that the concierge checkin often goes too slowly to grab upgrades...?
Thoughts?

We were able to upgrade to a 1BR Concierge on the 10/15 Dream sailing form Port Canveral. We were one of the first groups there since we took the bus from a Disney Hotel so I thinked it kind of helped that we would have been basically first in line.

We were able to upgrade to a 1BR Concierge on the 10/15 Dream sailing form Port Canveral. We were one of the first groups there since we took the bus from a Disney Hotel so I thinked it kind of helped that we would have been basically first in line.
Thank you! If you don’t mind, what was the cost?

Which resort did DCL transfer picked you from? What time was your arrival time to port?
We did DCL transfer from Rivera Resort and did not arrive to PC until 1:30pm in August. I was wondering if things have changed now.

Which resort did DCL transfer picked you from? What time was your arrival time to port?
We did DCL transfer from Rivera Resort and did not arrive to PC until 1:30pm in August. I was wondering if things have changed now.

Recently the pick-ups at the resorts have been much earlier, beginning about 8:30. This may be to allow the extra time needed for testing.

That’s great. We have another upcoming cruise on Disney Fantasy 12/26. I was debating about DCL transfer from our previous experience.

The resort pickups are MUCH earlier than in the past. . .and it was a complete surprise to us. We had last cruised from Port Canaveral in Nov 2019 and we were picked up around 11am for that trip. I hadn't read anything that those timeframes had changed in the new normal. So we went to the Boo Bash until midnight the night before thinking we would be able to sleep in a little the next morning only to find the letter under our door stating we needed our luggage ready by 7 and we would be picked up at 8:30. I was shocked!! We were scrambling with a 9 and 7 year old, as well as grandparents that had flight delays the prior day, to pull everything together. Frankly, the concierge upgrade ended up being the silver lining to the whole story.

Edit: We were picked up at Contemporary but I've heard all resorts are between 8-10am now.

Thank you! If you don’t mind, what was the cost?

Not sure exactly how much I am allowed to post on this issue, but the total price was less than the posted online price just 4 days earlier, but not significantly. And it wasn't a negotiation as I've heard can happen on other cruise lines; they have a sheet that they go off of along with some other variables that I've read on other posts here on Disboards. That being said - we enjoyed it. We don't feel like we can't go back to a "normal" room like others say. But we'll always likely take a look to see if it's at least available.

AJ

Not sure exactly how much I am allowed to post on this issue, but the total price was less than the posted online price just 4 days earlier, but not significantly. And it wasn't a negotiation as I've heard can happen on other cruise lines; they have a sheet that they go off of along with some other variables that I've read on other posts here on Disboards. That being said - we enjoyed it. We don't feel like we can't go back to a "normal" room like others say. But we'll always likely take a look to see if it's at least available.

AJ
Thank you! I didn't realize this wasn't allowed to be discussed. Interesting. Right now it's a $4,000 difference if we wanted to switch to a 1BR.

I'll just point out that the upgrade cost will be based on what category cabin you are already in. For the OP, it shouldn't be too much going from a V to a T. If you are in a less expensive cabin, it can be a very large amount. We have only upgraded once (2018) from a 4E to a T and it was about $5,000. That was based on the 7-night conversion chart. j

Also, if there are no or only a few concierge cabins left when the booking window closes, you can pretty much assume that an upgrade is going to be extremely unlikely. So manage your expectations. Upgrades are like unicorns...expensive unicorns.

We upgraded on the Magic in Miami to a 1-bedroom in the end of October. In the Miami port there was no designated area to check for upgrades, we had to check with guest services once we boarded. The price was double of what we originally paid for a verandah - we literally booked the sailing a month out, and had the chance to upgrade, bonus!

This is so interesting to me. What if you're on a GTY fare. Do you pay the difference between your fare and concierge or between the cabin category you're in and the fare?

Thank you! I didn't realize this wasn't allowed to be discussed. Interesting. Right now it's a $4,000 difference if we wanted to switch to a 1BR.
If you upgrade yourself (before your cruise), you'll pay the going price. Upgrading at the port has a schedule that means you pay less than making the change yourself. It's usually pretty substantial.

This is so interesting to me. What if you're on a GTY fare. Do you pay the difference between your fare and concierge or between the cabin category you're in and the fare?
I believe it's the difference from what you've paid to whatever the "upgrade at port" schedule is selling those rooms for. Usually it's a lower price than if you upgrade yourself the day before the cruise.

If you upgrade yourself (before your cruise), you'll pay the going price. Upgrading at the port has a schedule that means you pay less than making the change yourself. It's usually pretty substantial.
Oh yes, I was trying to get a sense of the estimated cost of such an upgrade at the port, based on others' prior experience. Right now it's a $4,000 difference -- so, from others' experiences, should I expect that if an upgrade were to be available it's likely to be 50% of that, 75%, etc.

However, it seems that isn't allowed to be discussed?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter