Concierge service??

Odd question... in a Cat 3, can a pack n' play fit in the master closet? I am thinking about the possibilities if my 18 mo kiddo won't sleep in the same room as us (we had this problem at 17 mo with my DS at Disneyland).

We had room 8100 which was a Handicapped Cat 3 and the pack and play would have fit in the master closet of that room. Plus there was also another space in the hallway where it would have fit (though you'd have to pass it coming and going from the suite so not secluded.)

Interestingly enough, we had room 8530 on our cruise 2 weeks ago and a PnP wouldn't have fit in either of the closets in that suite.

I agree with the posters on this thread that tip more if they are staying in a suite. The suites are considerably more work to take care of and we feel that the room steward deserves more of a tip.

An interesting sidenote..... when we did the Eastbound PC cruise in 2005 we stayed in 8602 (cat 3, port side, all the way aft), and our room steward had just returned from vacation. He told us that they typically assign those stewards returning from vacation to the suites at the aft of the ship so they can get back into the swing of things (fewer number of cabins to service). He was hoping to be moved to another section of the ship after that cruise because, even though he would have more cabins to service, he would make more in tips because there would be more people in those additional cabins.

We were in the handicap room that is all the way aft. The closet seemed big enough to hold a pack n play but it would be a super tight squeeze. Our closet had a set of dresser drawers in it in one corner. We did not have a hallway in our cabin. It was short hallway where the guest bathroom is and then, there is closets across from it. The master bathroom might be another option as it was HUGE. But then, you wouldn't be able to use it. Good luck...

I read the first couple of pages and didn't see some of the comments I would have added-so here goes!

We've sailed DCL twice-once in a category 1 suite for a 4 night Wonder cruise and once in a category 2 for the 7 day Eastern on the Magic. Our experiences with the concierge teams were quite different on each ship.

On the Wonder, we met the team at the meet and greet when you boarded the ship. We never saw them again! They did leave us treats daily and they left our young teens a small arcade card ($5.00 each for the 2 boys). They never re-stocked our waters or sodas, we didn't ask them for spa or excursion help. Nothing special there.

On the Magic our team was personal and went out of their way to find us daily! They had our favorite sodas and water restocked daily. They tracked down our pillowcases that I had turned in to be signed. Again, we didn't ask for anything out of the ordinary, but they were much more personable and we felt well taken care of. We did tip them. They refused twice but we insisted one more time and Jenny and Jonathan accepted the third time.

After our second cruise in concierge I came across a much more experienced DCL veteran. He had the best idea! He asked for a private meet and greet with the characters for his family-and got it! Woo Hoo! Another lady asked for the lithographs from previous cruises, and got them! I think if you ask and they can accommodate, they will!

I love the idea of the nightly cookies and ice cream, the standard breakfast and coffee/juice delivery. We never had to tender, but using that service sounds good, too!

Whatever will make your cruise more enjoyable that they can provide for you, let them take care of it for you! The more you can sit back and enjoy, you should!

I read the first couple of pages and didn't see some of the comments I would have added-so here goes!

We've sailed DCL twice-once in a category 1 suite for a 4 night Wonder cruise and once in a category 2 for the 7 day Eastern on the Magic. Our experiences with the concierge teams were quite different on each ship.

On the Wonder, we met the team at the meet and greet when you boarded the ship. We never saw them again! They did leave us treats daily and they left our young teens a small arcade card ($5.00 each for the 2 boys). They never re-stocked our waters or sodas, we didn't ask them for spa or excursion help. Nothing special there.

On the Magic our team was personal and went out of their way to find us daily! They had our favorite sodas and water restocked daily. They tracked down our pillowcases that I had turned in to be signed. Again, we didn't ask for anything out of the ordinary, but they were much more personable and we felt well taken care of. We did tip them. They refused twice but we insisted one more time and Jenny and Jonathan accepted the third time.

After our second cruise in concierge I came across a much more experienced DCL veteran. He had the best idea! He asked for a private meet and greet with the characters for his family-and got it! Woo Hoo! Another lady asked for the lithographs from previous cruises, and got them! I think if you ask and they can accommodate, they will!

I love the idea of the nightly cookies and ice cream, the standard breakfast and coffee/juice delivery. We never had to tender, but using that service sounds good, too!

Whatever will make your cruise more enjoyable that they can provide for you, let them take care of it for you! The more you can sit back and enjoy, you should!

Sounds good,, thanks for the report.

So how soon do you contact ground concierge? I'm not planning to anytime soon, but I know that with the WDW trips (with GF RPC) we always contacted them prior to the opening of the reservation time.

So how soon do you contact ground concierge? I'm not planning to anytime soon, but I know that with the WDW trips (with GF RPC) we always contacted them prior to the opening of the reservation time.

Last cruise, I made all of my online reservations (Palo and Excursions) at the 105 day mark. We boarded the Magic that day for the WB TA Repo. When I got back home I contacted the Concierge through email to make a couple requests and an excursion change. We requested the serving team DD and I had on the TA Repo, confirmed our request for a table just for our family and a couple of surprises for my mom who was traveling with us in a separate cabin.

I will probably handle things basically the same for our next cruise.

I think you can contact them anytime after you are paid in full. Prior to that, they might put your request(s) on a list, but they won't do anything until you are paid.

I think you can contact them anytime after you are paid in full. Prior to that, they might put your request(s) on a list, but they won't do anything until you are paid.

I am paid in full, what is the earliest anyone has contacted Concierge? Pre cruise.

I contacted prior to the 105 day mark and they took my requests but couldn't do anything for me until that day (we were already paid).

Word of note - the shore-side concierge staff is really nice and helpful but since there are only two of them, don't be surprised if you can not get through and get the message to leave a voice mail. They will call you back or email you within 24 business hours of your message/email if not sooner. In all the times I called, I only got through once but if you know that, it's no big deal but just be sure to leave them a number where you can be reached anytime i.e. cell phone.

Eeek! I guess that means that when our time comes, I will be going via email. With a little one, being avaliable by phone can be hard. With two, I can only imagine it will be harder! lol.

Eeek! I guess that means that when our time comes, I will be going via email. With a little one, being avaliable by phone can be hard. With two, I can only imagine it will be harder! lol.

From my experience, I found email the most efficient way to communicate with the land-based DCL concierge team. They are very quick in replying and it's nice to have written confirmation of your requests, especially with my frazzled mom memory. :laughing:

I am in a planning mood... so can anyone answer the following questions...

Can you get into room prior to 1:30?
Can you order food to room on first day? - would be easier with napping kid.
Can you buy shutters packages through them? Or do you have to go to shutters?
Has anyone had given them their pillowcase/photo mat to get signatures (like you can at guest services)?

To answer your questions that have not yet been answered:

You can order room service after around 3:00 or so but not during the lifeboad drill. We find the buffet too crowded and difficult with 4 kids so we usually go to the concierge reception and have finger sandwiches, fruit and cookies. We leave our hand luggage with them and roam about the ship until the rooms open at 1:30. Pizza, burgers, nuggets, etc. are available on deck 9 all afternoon if you are still looking to eat.

I have stayed in the suite with a napping child many an embarkation day. Bring in some food from deck 9 to your suite and enjoy the balcony. My kids love watching the port activity from the verandah.

Usually the luggage arrives quickly to a suite and I am generally settled in before the lifeboat drill (but don't count on this!)

Regarding Shutters, you still have to go through shutters for your photos. I will be so happy when photopass is in place on the ships!

They will take care of special requests like pillow cases, etc. Some teams are more willing than others...

Odd question... in a Cat 3, can a pack n' play fit in the master closet? I am thinking about the possibilities if my 18 mo kiddo won't sleep in the same room as us (we had this problem at 17 mo with my DS at Disneyland).

As the mother of several who have occupied closets here's what I know: The pack and play did fit in the closet in 8584 with plenty of room for clothes as well (out of reach of the child). It would not have fit in a "typical" Cat 3 closet. There is no great place for it in a Cat. 1, it does not fit into the pantry and all the closets are too small. We put it into the library and closed both sliding doors to that room but the doors have frosted glass inserts that let in light so it was not the ideal solution.

A couple of other hints regarding kids: Your room steward will bring a diaper genie if you need one and the concierge can book you pretty much all the Flounders Nursery time you want at the embarkation reception. We put the little ones in Flounders every night during dinner - now that's a vacation for this mom!

Enjoy your cruise!

I contacted prior to the 105 day mark and they took my requests but couldn't do anything for me until that day (we were already paid).

Word of note - the shore-side concierge staff is really nice and helpful but since there are only two of them, don't be surprised if you can not get through and get the message to leave a voice mail. They will call you back or email you within 24 business hours of your message/email if not sooner. In all the times I called, I only got through once but if you know that, it's no big deal but just be sure to leave them a number where you can be reached anytime i.e. cell phone.

From my experience, I found email the most efficient way to communicate with the land-based DCL concierge team. They are very quick in replying and it's nice to have written confirmation of your requests, especially with my frazzled mom memory. :laughing:

I plan to contact by e.mail

I tried to email them when we first recieved notice about the team. I ask a couple questions, and all I got back was an email saying they were looking forward to working with me, and their telephone number.

We didn't go to the reception. We're kind of shy about things like that. We had Rufaro and Angeline. We didn't meet Angeline till our last night. But Rufaro is very sweet. When we got to our room, a midship cat 3(8532) there was a voice mail from Angeline welcoming us,and letting us know they missed us at the reception. After dinner, they called again, and asked to stop by to meet us. Rufaro showed up a few minutes later. She had lost Angeline along the way,and didn't know where:rotfl2: We didn't use our team much. We cancelled a shore excursion, and our Palo brunch. Other than that, we honestly didn't need anything. It was nice to know they were there though. They did leave us a snack tray every afternoon. Also Rufaro would stop by from time to time to see if we needed anything. They also delivered our boarding passes and airline luggage tags the last morning. Later that evening they both stopped by with a beautiful print for us. DH tried tipping them, and even after the thrid attempt, they said they weren't allowed to accept. We booked the cat 3 for space, and privacy,and not for the perk of a concierge team. Both ladies were fabulous, and sweet as they could be. I felt bad that we honestly didn't have much for them to do.

I'm guessing the time change poses a bit of a problem for you too... what did we do before email? ;)
Yes very true
I tried to email them when we first recieved notice about the team. I ask a couple questions, and all I got back was an email saying they were looking forward to working with me, and their telephone number.

We didn't go to the reception. We're kind of shy about things like that. We had Rufaro and Angeline. We didn't meet Angeline till our last night. But Rufaro is very sweet. When we got to our room, a midship cat 3(8532) there was a voice mail from Angeline welcoming us,and letting us know they missed us at the reception. After dinner, they called again, and asked to stop by to meet us. Rufaro showed up a few minutes later. She had lost Angeline along the way,and didn't know where:rotfl2: We didn't use our team much. We cancelled a shore excursion, and our Palo brunch. Other than that, we honestly didn't need anything. It was nice to know they were there though. They did leave us a snack tray every afternoon. Also Rufaro would stop by from time to time to see if we needed anything. They also delivered our boarding passes and airline luggage tags the last morning. Later that evening they both stopped by with a beautiful print for us. DH tried tipping them, and even after the thrid attempt, they said they weren't allowed to accept. We booked the cat 3 for space, and privacy,and not for the perk of a concierge team. Both ladies were fabulous, and sweet as they could be. I felt bad that we honestly didn't have much for them to do.
I have that cabin in 2010 and the sister one on the port side 8032 this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter