Concerned about September crowds

GusGus77

DIS Veteran
we are going to Disneyland in September. Due to various circumstances, we have not yet booked a hotel. We knew that opening weekend of Halloween would be packed and we were going to take a break over the weekend and go to the beach instead. We are guessing that it will be the weekend of September 11th. We have a hotel booked for the weekend (timeshare) but almost all rooms within a mile of Disney are booked with no availability September 14-17th. Is it going to be super duper busy like spring break/summer packed at the parks? We have not been to DL in years but go to WDW regularly but only in non-peak times. I am really worried about long lines for rides and crowds (especially because my parents will be joining us.)

The start of halloweentime always brings the numbers up and I think it will definitely be busy the days leading up to and through the weekend of dapper days, which is 9/18

I think the 14th-17th is when Dapper Day falls...rooms have probably been sold out for months. I would imagine it's going to be fairly crowded...my son and his GF always go and love it, so the crowds, all those people dressed up, might be worth it.

We usually make a weekend of it exactly around that time. First Halloweentime weekend (mid-September) and have never had any issues with crowds. For many people, locals, it's simply too early to enjoy a Halloween theme. The Mickey NSSHP isn't even happening yet. And some don't even realize that Halloweentime been launched. Local schools are back in session. We normally get a great onsite deal at that time. It's my favorite time to go. When DD wasn't in school yet we would go Sun-Tues, not busy at all M-T. Shorter park hours though!

The crowds start to pick up the weekends that follow. Heat can be an issue in the Fall too.

Ok- found rooms on Orbitz :) the dapper day discounts are good then, but the actual Dapper Day Events don't start until the weekend and we will be leaving Thursday morning. I am guessing it won't be a major impact Monday through Wednesday beforehand, will it?

We are planning on going this week too and I've noticed the lack of hotel availability. In looking at the Anaheim Convention Ctr. Calendar there is a big Solar Power Conference going on that is expected to draw 17K people. I'm sure this is having an impact on hotel rooms availability as the solar power convention website shows they have blocks of rooms reserved at many hotels in the area. The website also shows rooms must be booked by Aug 25 so maybe after that more availability will open up. I noticed that room rates are actually pretty low starting on Thurs-Sun nights (which is typically the more crowded days) so I'm hoping the convention is really the cause and not Dapper Days per se. I'm also concerned how this will influence the crowds at the park. I know certain conventions (D23, cheerleading, etc) have an impact on park crowds, but I don't know about other conventions...

I think you'll be fine. I think most people won't be heading to the parks until later that week, Thursday or so for dapper day and then through the weekend. A lot of people who attend Dapper Days are locals, so that shouldn't cause hotels to be booked, so @landheim is probably right with that convention impacting room availability. Most people's kids are just back in school and just had a long Labor Day weekend the week before, I would assume Monday-Wednesday would be relatively quiet.

I know this sort of goes against what I said in my OP, but I didn't finish writing before I sent it. I definitely think Friday-Sunday will be slammed, possibly even starting on Thursday.

We are going the same week. Sun-thurs. We usually go the week before right after Labor day week. The crowds are usually fairly small during the week and build up starting Friday for the weekend. It is still hot, 2 years ago we went and there was a heat wave that was un-seasonal for that time. I have no idea how Dapper Days, and the solar convention will affect crowds?

Well the convention makes sense on why the limited hotel rooms. That makes me feel a bit better!!!! I am sure crowds will be effected somewhat with that and dapper days, but not as bad as I was imagining!

No matter when you go, there's going to be crowds and long lines. Disneyland or WDW. Especially this year being the 60th anniversary, you can expect lots of people. Those are the realities of a Disney park now, there really are no 'off-seasons' anymore. The conventions will definitely have an impact on the hotels, especially the ones right around the ACC.

Geepers - now I am nervous. I usually do WDW trips in the first 2 weeks of Sept due to low crowds. This will be my first ever DL trip and I hope it isn't packed. Based on most of the "planner"/Crowd Level sites during the weekdays (when I will be there) it should be fairly low. Fingers crossed!

I am seeing availability at a bunch of hotels nearby, including the fairfield which is pretty close to entrance, so I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion all hotel rooms are booked. I also don't think crowds will be a huge problem during september outside of maybe dapper day and labor day. Most halloween trips would be in october when the parties are held. Threads like these seem to cause a lot of worry over nothing.

We are going the 14th-18th and noticed all of the Disney hotels are booked for those dates (thankfully we booked at the Grand in March!). I'm starting to stress that it's going to be super busy, too.

We are going the 14th-18th and noticed all of the Disney hotels are booked for those dates (thankfully we booked at the Grand in March!). I'm starting to stress that it's going to be super busy, too.

You have to remember that there are only 3 on-site hotels. The majority of people stay at off-site hotels (or are locals). They get filled really easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter