• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Concerned about DVC

Idreamodisney247

Mouseketeer
I was Online tonight searching for SSR bumper stickers, when I came across the latest trip advisor comments. I was so upset reading not one but several different family experiences from this August. The dream of owning a Disney timeshare only just became a reality and after reading the comments I felt as if my bubble burst. I did feel this so much for myself as for my DH. I cannot tell you how many years of talking, nagging, diagrams, videos, and time it took for me to finally convince him to purchase DVC. I can't tell you what my life would be like if we ever experienced some of the issues people have been having, not only at SSR but at OKW, etc. Based on their comments I wonder if it will be necessary for me to arrive a day earlier than my DH in order to insure that the accommodations are in good repair and clean.

Do you think DVC member services listens to members and reads sites such as Trip Advisor to help improve their service and customer satisfaction?
Sometimes I think they over saturate certain resorts with CM's and leave other resorts such as SSR to suffer.

I'm just hoping it's all good before my first trip in December and all future trips.

Sorry for all the gloom. I am just worried.

Please don't let a few disgruntled individuals spoil your :goodvibes.

For every 4 or 5 people complaining there are hundreds that have wonderful experiences that never bother to go on message boards to tell about it.

After reading hours of boards like that I decided that I would never even want to stay at SSR or OKW. Complaints were, "it's too big" "I would NEVER stay there with out a car" "run down, needs repair" "rude CMs" "bus service is horrible" "undesirable location" "worst DVC on property" "if it's the only option I'd rather stay home", etc. On and on.
Last year SSR was the only location that we could get and decided to try it with great trepidation. Guess what? WE LOVE SSR!!!! Been there twice already and are going back for 6 nights in Oct. Had such a terrific experience at SSR we decided to try OKW and LOVED it too.

If you are really worried about it I suggest you try to check in early the day you arrive. That way if you are unhappy with your room there may be time to be moved to another one.

I was Online tonight searching for SSR bumper stickers, when I came across the latest trip advisor comments. I was so upset reading not one but several different family experiences from this August. The dream of owning a Disney timeshare only just became a reality and after reading the comments I felt as if my bubble burst. I did feel this so much for myself as for my DH. I cannot tell you how many years of talking, nagging, diagrams, videos, and time it took for me to finally convince him to purchase DVC. I can't tell you what my life would be like if we ever experienced some of the issues people have been having, not only at SSR but at OKW, etc. Based on their comments I wonder if it will be necessary for me to arrive a day earlier than my DH in order to insure that the accommodations are in good repair and clean.

Do you think DVC member services listens to members and reads sites such as Trip Advisor to help improve their service and customer satisfaction?
Sometimes I think they over saturate certain resorts with CM's and leave other resorts such as SSR to suffer.

I'm just hoping it's all good before my first trip in December and all future trips.

Sorry for all the gloom. I am just worried.

:) :flower3: :) DEAR, don't be worried.
My dear wife and I have been :laundy: hanging out at OKW since June 10, 1997, we own 5 contracts there , and we would not have it any other way.......be happy and enjoy. THE HOOSIER DADDY says; Welcome HOME. :thumbsup2

Popped over to Trip Advisor to see what they were saying and basically it was mostly people whining about the size of the resorts, buses etc. and things that if they had done any research they would know before they get there.

It is a large resort, it is not a hotel, buses are as good as any other Disney resort and at times better.

Also I can not for the life of me understand people who can not find their way around, they give you a map, so they must be directionally challenged.

It is a great resort, we have enjoyed every stay there.

If you want a newly rehabbed room, request that and make it your only request which will improve your chances of getting it.

One person complained the jacuzzi tub was a hazard to children. :confused3 That is what parental supervision is for. ::yes:: Another complained there were no luggage carts, yes there are, call bell services and they will help with luggage.

And several complaints sounded like rentals that had no idea what they had bought into, as they complained about no daily housekeeping. I have no patience with that type of complaint. They got exactly what they paid for.

If you go looking for problems, you will find them, and they will find you.

Sounds like you did a lot of research prior to buying into DVC, so you already know what to expect. Therefore your trip will be full of unexpected pluses, IF you are open to the magic, and carry a positive attitude through-out your trip.

OKW is wonderful. I loved our visit to it and look forward to another. I could complain about no elevators, but I knew that going in. SSR was interesting, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Maybe it was because my DB/SIL were along?

You will over the course of your DVC ownership experiance some less than magical moments, but when the math is all done, you will be far ahead in the smiles column.

Go and enjoy yourselves.

Trip Advisor seems to attract negative comments for widely known hotels and attract positive comments for little known hotels. For example, we stayed at a small inn in New Jersey several years ago and found its 4.5 rating is unjustified. You've probably never heard of the inn: It's reviews seem to come mostly from people who visit the place repeatedly and love one or two aspects of it that make it unique, and as a result they forgive all of the bad things about the place. OKW is also rated 4.5, and yet in our stays there OKW were substantially better that that small inn in New Jersy in just about every way.

You asked so I will answer. We own 21 contracts at 6 different resorts. We vacation at WDW around 24 days per year.

The more your vacation with the DVC the more problems your will find and the sad part is that Disney doesn't seem to care. The problem is that Disney doesn't have any incentive to improve with the DVC. If a cash guest has a problem, they might not come back, a DVC guest has to come back and Disney knows this.

The only benefit to owning the DVC is the discounted room and maybe some other perks that come and go. The negative is that you are committed to use your points or you lose them, that can be expensive when you have to pay for your travel, food, admission tickets, and Disney toys each year.

:earsboy: Bill

Another complained there were no luggage carts, yes there are, call bell services and they will help with luggage.
I suspect this complaint was probably "I didn't want to have to tip someone to help me." :)

OP, don't panic. Pick *any* resort (or restaurant, or attraction) at WDW, and you can find people who complain about it. The people who complain are a lot more likely to post long-winded reviews than people who had a perfectly fine time. So, places like TripAdvisor tend to over-exaggerate the negative.

You will also learn that DISboards has some of that same flavor. After just a few weeks of reading the DVC boards, you will find there are a vocal few who are not happy---either because they had unrealistic expectations, or they mistake familiarity for contempt. But on average most DVC owners seem to be pretty happy with what they bought, even here.

That said, there can sometimes be less-than-perfect moments. When they happen, be sure to let the on-site resort staff know about them as soon as you notice them, so that they can be corrected. Usually, that happens.

Wow - I had to go back to read tripadvisor because I just also posted a review about a week ago.

The person who wrote "like being in jail" - obviously seems like he has no clue what he is talking about, not sure what he expected, might be a renter or someone who traded in?

I posted a review there and on TUG - I think the one on TUG is a better review I wrote. I would not hesitate to stay here again. I was not sure what to expect after also reading so many negative remarks and being the last choice for many. I was determined to have my own experience and think positive. Is it huge and spread out? yes - are there some areas that are more remote than others? I am sure - but after walking each morning for 60 - 90 minutes around the resort (exercise)- I came to realize that nothing is too far from anything - bus stop, food, pool, DTD, etc. If someone does some homework, they can request a section that works best for them and everyone has their own preference.

Relax and enjoy - each resort has it's own pros and cons and what works for one might not work for someone else. :)

PS there was a comment about a cockroach too - there are bugs we saw outside and if this is what they saw inside - they are not cockroaches.

We own at SSR and have stayed there and at OKW and Kidani village. We have never had a problem. We go every 6 months and it is wonderful. No complaints. Besides if there were an issue we can just call and it will be fixed right away! Love our DVC!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

We have never had a problem. We go every 6 months and it is wonderful. No complaints. Besides if there were an issue we can just call and it will be fixed right away! Love our DVC!

We also have never had a problem. I have found the CM's to be wonderfully helpful and easy to deal with. We have stayed at AKV (both Kidani and Jambo), OKW, and BCV. Loved them all! Our rooms have always been clean and well supplied. I am sure in the future we may encounter a problem, but we will just call and deal with it - it happens EVERYWHERE, in all hotel chains. I have found that if you have a problem or complaint, if you request services in a calm and friendly manner, and treat people with respect, you get a better response! Like my Mama always said "kindness and respect go a LONG way, rudeness, however, is unacceptable."

There probably isn't a hotel on Trip advisor that doesn't get complaints. People complain about everything, everywhere. Some of it is deserved, but there is ALWAYS something to complain about or that isn't perfect. Disney Hotels will be no different. DVC is a prepaid hotel, so there will be times when the rooms won't be perfect or the people may not be friendly, etc. Life is Life. Manage your expectations. Sure, if something needs to be corrected, there are procedures for this, but don't be looking for every little thing. In my opinion, that only leads to guaranteed disappointment. And if something bad or unfair happens and can't be fixed, be prepared to move on with your life. Stay happy, enjoy your vacation. After all, some families right now in parts of the world have to deal with the constant threat of getting macheteed to death.

IdreamofDisney,

You're in good hands with DVC. We have stayed at SSR and Kidani with our points over the last few years. We've stayed in May, June, July, and December. You did good, and welcome to DVC!

Do not be concerned. While nothing is perfect, it is as close as it gets (in my opinion) when staying at Disney. I have stayed at almost every hotel chain there is. I don't think anyone does it better than Disney, and if there is an issue, they will do everything they can to make it right for you.

The complaints, like others have said, probably came from people who were used to staying at a Holiday Inn Express where everything is in one building, your maid comes by daily, and you get a free muffin for breakfast.

SSR is a resort, spread out over acres, with a golf course, boat ferry rides to DTD, bus rides to anywhere, and one of the best quick service restaurants at any DVC resort, The Artist Pallet. The spa, the pools, activities, guest services, etc... they are incredible.

It's going to be decorated for Christmas and you're going to have the time of your life. Trust your decision, and trust Disney to give you their best.

Rich

THANK YOU ALL so very much for your wonderful thoughts of wisdom and pure, magical, no nonsense advice. I feel so much better. So many of you that have waited for your chance to be part of something as wonderful as Disney just as I have. It will always be that special place, no matter what. Thanks for helping me remember that.
:):):)

I've been a member almost 13 years (wow, where did the time go?) and I've never regretted my decision. I've stayed at all of the WDW DVC resorts except SSR and BLT (have a res for BLT for March).

I'm looking forward to our stay at our home resort of SSR after so many years of trying different places. We loved it when only Congress Park was complete, and then enjoyed the Grandstands too. Walking around the grounds is something you can't do at all the other resorts. That's what's great about DVC-the variety.

As someone who is a map geek, and is 'never lost' when I have a map in my hand, and rarely ever lost when I don't.

I got so turned around at SSR that DW was about to kill me - and THEN it didn't help that she was reading our room number on the envelope upside down, and even had the ladies from Mousekeeping confused! (it was out first ever DVC stay, give us a break! :lmao:)

The map at SSR is indeed a little confusing as the resort isn't shape like the sheet of paper, so they distorted the map to make the features as easy to identify as possible - BUT, as a result, the paths are not realistic - curved when they should not be, and straight when they aren't. We were ALL turned around!

When we finally found our room, we were so happy to have a place to get off our feet, we didn't CARE that we had circled the entire side of the resort, even circled the buildings!

The maps are helpful, but unless the cast member orients the map for you, and gives it a 45 degree turn, it can be very confusing!

We only stayed at SSR the one time - it was in a 2BR villa. We had repair issues, the AC wasn't functioning, it had frozen so much that it clogged the drain, and was dripping on the floor, and then seeping out to the carpet. I had told them when we first walked in to our room that the AC wasn't working and that the carpet in the hall was wet, but they insisted that it was just because they had shampooed the carpets on that floor, but I told them I heard dripping.

We didn't have a GREAT experience at SSR, but we have since had friends that stayed there and absolutely LOVED the resort!

As someone who is a map geek, and is 'never lost' when I have a map in my hand, and rarely ever lost when I don't.

I got so turned around at SSR that DW was about to kill me - and THEN it didn't help that she was reading our room number on the envelope upside down, and even had the ladies from Mousekeeping confused! (it was out first ever DVC stay, give us a break! :lmao:)

The map at SSR is indeed a little confusing as the resort isn't shape like the sheet of paper, so they distorted the map to make the features as easy to identify as possible - BUT, as a result, the paths are not realistic - curved when they should not be, and straight when they aren't. We were ALL turned around!

When we finally found our room, we were so happy to have a place to get off our feet, we didn't CARE that we had circled the entire side of the resort, even circled the buildings!

The maps are helpful, but unless the cast member orients the map for you, and gives it a 45 degree turn, it can be very confusing!

We only stayed at SSR the one time - it was in a 2BR villa. We had repair issues, the AC wasn't functioning, it had frozen so much that it clogged the drain, and was dripping on the floor, and then seeping out to the carpet. I had told them when we first walked in to our room that the AC wasn't working and that the carpet in the hall was wet, but they insisted that it was just because they had shampooed the carpets on that floor, but I told them I heard dripping.

We didn't have a GREAT experience at SSR, but we have since had friends that stayed there and absolutely LOVED the resort!

SSR can be confusing until you figure out the place. :confused3

As you know I am very critical of Disney and DVC, I expect the best and hold Disney to a higher standard. Your issue with the AC should have been investigated by someone and not blown off as a just cleaned carpet. If you took the time to report it, Disney should take the time to investigate the report.

Problems like this happen at all of the resorts not just SSR so don't let this experience keep you from staying at SSR.

:earsboy: Bill

After staying two nights at Port Orleans-Riverside in a Royal Guest Room, two nights at AKV, and one night at SSR, my 12yo DD said POR is a hotel but DVC is home. We own at BWV and have stayed there several times in addition to OKW and BCV. Yes we have had some issues but overall we are very happy with our membership. We find DVC stays very relaxing and look forward to many more.

Since you have done your research, I think you also will enjoy DVC!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter