Concerned about December weather

5lilfish

DIS Veteran
Ok...I thought I had zeroed in on combining Disneyland and Aulani for the last week of Dec/1st week of January next year, but I have heard multiple people mention that the weather just wasn't nice enough to fully enjoy the resort at that time of year. If we can't be happy being in the water for a big percentage of our trip, it's definitely not a good option for us. Am I better off trying to make a different time of year work? I like warm water and I like to be warm when I am on the beach. For example, I actually love cruising in August because it is HOT out and the ocean water is walk-in warm.

Jess

We were there last year from Dec 29-Jan 9. The weather was great--mostly mid-70's. I will say, there were a couple days where, when we were wet and standing in line for the water slide, it was just a bit chilly standing there. However, it was not so chilly that we went in or were deterred from swimming, etc. We swam every day that we were there. Also, it never rained on us the whole trip

I have been travelling to Hawaii on a regular basis for over 20 years and as I have gotten older I find that my body cant take cold water for swimming.

For that reason our last few trips have been in August when I know I can spend time in the ocean and not be too cold. Even then, I find early morning to have a bit of a chill (Hanauma Bay for example)

I find early December ok, not as good as Sept or Oct but not as bad as mid Jan/early Feb.

The worst for me was Kauai in February one year. I basically watched everyone else swim...

But we have been in December where it was quite hot outside, under the sun and the ocean and pools are refreshing. It is the ocean itself in certain areas of the islands that will be cooler in the mid winter/early spring.

This has been my experience but I am a big baby about this...I am sure it is fine for lots of other people!

There are things you can do in Hawaii in December that you can't do in the summer - like whale watching. Given the current weather, I'd love to be in Hawaii (currently 72) rather than here! The pools should be heated, and there are plenty of things to do out of the water (Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor, day trip to the Volcano on Hawaii, etc) for those days that are chillier.

We have been the last 2 Decembers. In 2016 we had to go to target and buy sweats for everyone. This year we packed them and needed them the first days and all evenings. The luau on property is amazing and the day we went it was raining all day but cleared just on time. The next 2 luaus were canceled. Same story last year which is how we didn’t get last min tix (it backs up). This trip, the morning after arrival, during the character breakfast, we had to be moved inside due to cold, wind, and rain. We also had our day to the North Shore ruined due to rain and rip tides and choppy water. We ended up going to Waikiki two nights and doing puzzle rooms and seeing 2 movies in Kapolei. It’s still way better weather than Seattle in December and a great way to do the holidays. However having gone in April and February also, I think we are going to do April 2019 and skip Dec next year due to the weather. But maybe we can’t wait!

Note, Aulani is on the sunniest, driest spot on the island. As soon as you travel inland it gets wetter. We did the Dole plantation maze in the mud after our Northshore adventure was derailed. If it really matters to you, don’t go in December. It’s not cheap enough to be disappointed.

Last edited:
I’m trying to figure out the same thing!! My family wants to go in Dec or Jan, but from what I’ve been reading, I’m not sure if this is the right time?

We’re now considering mid Nov to beginning of Dec or possibly March.

I’m going to follow your post!

I am going to follow along as well. We were thinking that same time frame since we now juggle kids with college schedules, elementary schedules, and travel sports schedules. UUGGHH. So hard to travel all together now. We may bump it up and do this May instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter