Computer or Gaming system question

TI double-GUH ER

Mouseketeer
I'm hoping that since this has to do with a present budget, the budget board can help me!

DS (7) is asking Santa for either a Playstation, Xbox or a computer. At this point he only wants to play Minecraft, so I'm hesitant to break the bank on something he isn't truly interested in. I saw some Chromebooks on sale for under $200, and I'm wondering if that would be better, rather than the system?
Is one system better (or less expensive) than the other?
Would a chromebook (which I understand isn't the same as a full laptop) be enough for a kid his age to do some web stuff and minecraft?

Any recommendations are welcome! Thanks!

Chromebooks can't run Minecraft (well, they can but you need to install a Linux on them). I would look into a cheaper Windows based laptop. Or look into a used Xbox 360 or PS3.

At the holidays you should be able to get an okay laptop for under 200 that is Windows based. If he only wants it for minecraft get the computer. Also with a laptop you can physically control it. Much easier to take away a laptop for punishment since you can don't have to unplug it from an inroom t.v. To take it away.

Also is there a t.v. in his bedroom or a playroom or is the only one available in the family room? If the family room is the case I would not get a game system as hours can be lost playing video games and if someone is playong a video game you can't watch t.v. At the same time.

You could get him a tablet instead of laptop to play it on. My DS8 prefers to play it on his iPad Mini than on the XBox 360. When his friends come over or he goes to their houses, they all connect through the wi-fi and play on the same world.

Minecraft on the console or the mobile operating system is not the same as the full blown Minecraft version on the computer. Get a laptop for the "Full version" There are some good deals around, check out The Microsoftstore for some bloatware free PCs.

Thanks for the advice. He does have a tablet, but has spent the last several months bemoaning the fact that it only runs "pocket edition"...
He doesn't have a tv in his room, but there is one in the basement, which is where the game system, if we were to get one, would live.

Will check out the microsoft store! (I have a mac laptop, but I wasn't sure if we could make it work on the mac - it seems to be a pc sort of thing!)

I think a WiiU is a more appropriate gaming system for a 7 year old than an XBox.
If the parent controls the games for them they're equally appropriate. Nintendo does tend to be more kid friendly but I've never had an issue finding kid appropriate games for the Xbox 360. Having both with two kids has been great because the way the WiiU is set up, one can play the WiiU and the other the Xbox at the same time.

Anyway, to OP's original question, the game on the Xbox has more features than the Pocket Edition and my kids could probably do much more but I won't allow them online (they're 10) unsupervised. My DH plays the PC version and seems to get sucked right into it, my kids don't have access to it. This guy does a brief comparison and seems to feel the full PC version is too complicated for his tastes.
http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/a-crafty-comparison-xbox-pc-and-pocket-edition/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter