computer lines

stevepete

<font color=FF66FF>Gets excited when it comes to t
I posted this on the resorts board but haven't gotten a response yet and I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm staying at OKW at the end of this month and need to work during my vacation:( What options do I have to dial out? I'll be bringing a laptop with a modem. How expensive will it be and how will I be charged? Thanks in advance for your help.

Make sure you can use a local dial-up phone number. Each call will cost .75 ( .35 for DVC Members) - even for 1-800 #'s.

If you have any doubt about whether it's local or not, just check with the resort operator.

If you MUST use a long distance number, be aware of the expense of the surcharge.

Every phone in WDW resorts will have a data port, so connecting your laptop is quite simple.

I'm at OKW right now, using my laptop and Netzero- which is (for another month) a free internet provider- with good local connect numbers here.

Good Luck!

I almost made the mistake of dialing into the wrong local access number. I thought that Kissimee would have been local and Orlando was long distance (hell it takes me 45 minutes to drive to Orlando and I'm in Kissimmee in 10 minutes, well it's actually the other way around, Orlando was the local, Kissimee was long distance when it comes to phone calls.

Call the operator and give them your choice of access numbers and ask them. You can also make a quick one minute test call and then call to find out what you were charged.

Because it is very expensive VERY if you make a mistake, like a dollar a minute.

If you don't have a local access number, then I would consider bringing a phone card, I know Sam's Club has great deals on phone cards.

Also, there is a data port on the side of the phone to plug into a modem line into.

Not all Kissimmee numbers are long distance and not all Orlando numbers are local. There's quite a mix. Check the phone book (page 7) to see the prefixes for local numbers. Then, just to be sure, double check with the operator. I did this with the operator and she confirmed the access numbers I had would be local.

We didn't bring the extra phone cord for our laptop, so we just unplugged the phone and plugged it in no problem. It is sometimes easier to use an extra line into the data port, but we found the phone cord quite long and were able to make due with it.

Also, we called the front desk at BWV to ask about local AOL numbers and the young lady was of no help. She didn't know which numbers would be local or not. So, we called one we thought would be (based on the info in the phone book) for just a minute and then hung up and checked with the front dest to see if it was local. We sure didn't want a large phone call surprise.

Don't call the front desk- call the Operator to confirm local calls.

Caskbill's suggestion of page 7 in the phone book is good. There is a listing of all exchanges which are local.

Make sure you know the numbers to call, it's not likely that the operator will know an AOL number- but they can tell you if the prefix is a local call.

Enjoy!

Yes, I meant the operator, the only reason why it's always better to use the data port, is sometimes depending on the phone system, there may be voltage on the line from the wall which could zap your modem and computer and damaging it, granted the Disney phone system doesn't appear to be that kind of system, but it's alaways prudent to use the data port, plus it's nice to have a long length cord of your own so you can use the laptop where it's comfortable.

As stated in the post above it is always advisable to use the data port on the phone. Many hotels and resorts have switched from an analog phone system (what most people have in there homes) to digital phone systems. If you contact your analog modem to a digital phone system you can count on frying your modem and possible your laptop. Using the data port on the phone will avoid this hazard.

Joe

I used my laptop on two weeks ago at AKL & BWV. The guy at the desk in AKL told me all Orlando numbers were local. Prodigy only had one number and it cost .75 at AKL and .35 at BWV. The guy at AKL also told me I couldn't use the dataport unless I had a six prong connecter. I had no idea what he was talking about so I just used the phone line. Thank goodness nothing happened to my laptop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter