• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Computer geeks need ur help

Cynt

DIS Veteran
I have Microsoft office on my old laptop which is on its last leg hence I'm laptop shopping. I still have the installation disk and key codes for my Microsoft office software. Is it possible to load this software on my new laptop? I have a Dell and will probably get another Dell. I'm just trying to save some $. Its Microsoft office home & student 2007 software.

Thanks for ur assistance.

It should be possible to install it on another computer since you still have the product key. I believe we used that version of office 2007 on more than one computer so there should not be any reason you could not.

It all depends. Our copy of office we can install on three different devices while others only allow you to install it on one. Once you get your new laptop you can give it a try and see if it works first. Also your new laptop might already come with ms office 2010 starter edition. Depending on what you use office for this may be enough for you. It does not include outlook or powerpoint but it does contain limited functioning word and excel and includes advertising.

There should be an option in the office settings that lets you deactivate or deauthorize that pc. Then when you get the new pc you can authorize that one. I do it all the time with operating systems as well as office.

You won't have any problem installing it -- I bought 2007 a few years back, installed it on our computers (we have several), replaced most if not all of those computers and installed it on all the new ones -- no problem. The only problem will come if you have a version older than 2007 -- I don't think Office 2003 works with Windows 7.

Office Home & Student is a 3-license non-commercial version of Microsoft Office. The 3 licenses are intended to be used on up to 3 home computers. You will have no problems activating it, and both computers can actually run it at the same time, unlike most regular versions of office where you'd legally have to stop using/uninstall the copy on the old computer in order to start using it on a new computer (those versions ALSO allow you to install and register it 3 times in most cases)

EDIT: Oh, and make sure to REMOVE any copies of office that come preinstalled, running 2 versions of Office can cause problems.

You won't have any problem installing it -- I bought 2007 a few years back, installed it on our computers (we have several), replaced most if not all of those computers and installed it on all the new ones -- no problem. The only problem will come if you have a version older than 2007 -- I don't think Office 2003 works with Windows 7.

Office 2003 works fine on Windows 7. There is a problem when one trys to open a file that was created with Office 2007 when only having Office 2003 installed. Download the 2007 compatibility patch and problem solved. Office 2010 has no issues opening 2003 or 2007 files.

If there ever is a problem installing over the site license limit you can always call Microsoft and they will help you with the installation. Sometimes it's not possible to remove a prior installation, such as in a total hard drive crash.

Thanks everyone for the insight. Now to find a laptop over the memorial day holiday! Hopefully I run across some fantastic deals!

Check Staples...Seriously, to keep hardware moving they have some terrific deals. Last month i got a great HP laptop for $399 after $150 in rebates (was also on sale) that i applied for via the web (nothing to mail in). The normal price was $650... I love it, in power save mode it has nearly 6.5hrs of battery life (yea LED lit screens)...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter