Compression Socks Question

dragitoff

DIS Veteran
Hello all. I've had some issues in my past 2 long distance races (one half and one full) with calf cramping. Honestly, I think alot of the cramping is attributed to underhydrating myself. I have always trained during colder months and both times it was hotter on race day than when I had trained. Of course, the past occurence was the WDW Marathon when it was over 40 degrees warmer than my warmest day of training.

I have taken steps to start doing better about hydrating and I have worn calve compression sleeves during many of my long training runs and even during the WDW Marathon when the last occurence of cramping was. I purchased a pair of compression recovery socks for after the WDW Marathon. My question is do any of you wear those types of socks during long runs/long races? Do they help with cramps?

I've got another half in a few weeks and I was debating on what to wear. At the rate I've been training, I feel confident I should PR in this race. I don't want to do anything to derail that (cramping is my main concern).

Hey I wear the compression socks for all my races 13.1 and above. Having done some without and had the waddle after to doing all the ones in the past two years with and not had as much DOMS. I am a believer in the socks. Now I don't get as much of the good stuff with just the sleeves. But still see improvement.

I would check sodium intake. If you are sweating a lot you need to replace sodium...and potassium as well. When I feel a bit crampy I take a Cliff Shot Blok that has extra sodium and it goes away. If I know it is going to be really warm I take thoses as a preventative. Another tip I read was to eat a salt bagel the day before race day as it helps you retain water.

I would check sodium intake. If you are sweating a lot you need to replace sodium...and potassium as well. When I feel a bit crampy I take a Cliff Shot Blok that has extra sodium and it goes away. If I know it is going to be really warm I take thoses as a preventative. Another tip I read was to eat a salt bagel the day before race day as it helps you retain water.

I've actually been monitoring alot of different things lately and I'm getting my fair share of sodium each day. I drink a ton of water, but I also visit the restroom regularly so it's possible it is a water retension issue. I'll have to check the Clif Shot Bloks I use for long runs. I eat the orange ones with caffeine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter