Compostable BBQ & picnic supplies in time for Memorial Day

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
Anyone have good experiences with brands of compostable BBQ & picnic supplies?

I've been phasing compostable trash bags into our home fairly successfully, Walmart has some small ones that are great for the bathrooms.

Haven't tested compostable for full kitchen trash yet because I'm not sure they can hold up to the fluid component that derails all attempts to use paper shopping bags for regular trash and the recyclables. The big ones seem really tough to find and maybe this is why, anyone have a good go to brand 30 gal or larger?

We used agave straws in the past which were great, I forget what restaurant had them but liked them, the paper ones are a menace.

Haven't tried any of the disposable utensils, nothing more annoying that a fork that snaps so a good sturdy brand would be good. Suspect agave would be good here too but they come in such giant packs that are expensive, anyone have a good go-to brand?

Cups are easy, the old school paper with wax of other natural materials like glass or cans. Plates are still paper or the sturdy Chinet so all good there too.

I discovered that Clorox wipes have a compostable version but I can ONLY find them at Target.

I've used Repurpose plantware in the past. They are like regular plasticware but very expensive. Not flimsy at all.

Not disposable/compostable, but we bring a set of melamine plates and standard silverware when we go to picnics. We just carry a tote and put the dirty dishes in when we're done, and then wash them at home. We bring our water bottles so don't need cups.

Amazon has a large selection of compostable products. We buy compostable paper plates/bowls as well as utensils like forks and spoons. The Ecovita brand of forks and spoons are very sturdy, I've never had one break.

Compostable labeled items are usually commercially compostable. That means you can’t just throw it out and expect it to behave any different than non compostable items. It will live in the dump forever in the original form.

The items need to be brought to a commercial composter.

In my case our City has a robost compost program. We separate our compostable items, put them in compost bags provided by the city and they are picked up separately and go to a commercial compost facility. Re-using items is definitely best, for that's not always easy to do. To each his own...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter