"Completely" Potty Trained???

Huskerdu

Earning My Ears
So how serious are they about "complete" potty training for a 3 year old. It seems to me that pull-ups can buy us a few hours just in case DD (who's 80% trained and has a few months to go) has an accident.

Completely potty trained means that under normal circumstances the child will tell an adult and use an appropriately sized toilet. The club has low, kid sized toilets. It means for both varieties of waste product.

It does not mean that the child never has an accident. The staff is used to the fact that this happens in new circumstances. They do have "potty breaks" in addition to the idea of "when the child expresses the need." They'll stop the activities and take the kids in their small groups, one group at a time. (The ones who aren't going continue to play).

What I mean is that within the 3-4 age group, you will have the Simba group, the Stitch group, etc., each group with 6-10 kids. At one point, the SImba group will make a potty run, etc.

They do allow you to bring a child in pull-ups, but the idea is still that they be using the toilet, and that the pull up is for safety. You will be called if the pull up is wet or soiled. Especially at night, a lot of kids wear pull ups.

If you have a couple months to go, you'll probably be fine.

When we were on the Wonder, we were told that accidents are understandable. But after a certain number of accidents, it was either 2 or 3 three, then the child cannot come back. I think the point is that they understand that kids have accidents. But, what they are trying to avoid is the person that puts their child in the OC even though they really are not potty train. After multiple accidents, I guess they are assuming that is the case.

However, I could be wrong about this, but I didn't think that pull-ups were allowed in the club. I realize that contradicting what kcashner posted, so I am not 100%. I thought that is what they said on the ship.

Another thing to keep in mind... the kids have to be capable of doing everything themselves inside the bathroom. The counselors do not go in with them. I had specifically asked about this and was told by a counselor. My concern was that even though DS was potty trained, he doesn't wipe for a BM. It didn't turn out to be a problem since he just waited to do that until he was in the cabin. :rolleyes:

I agree, that since you have a few months yet, you should be fine. ::yes::

My understanding is that in addition to wiping, they will need to be able to undress and dress themselves. For my five year old, several pairs of his pants are problematic for him to get buttoned or snapped by himself, so those will stay home. My daughter, who also has a problem with snaps on jeans, prefers dresses anyway, so that is easy.

When we went is Sept. our son was within one month of being 3 so he got to go to the club. They were hardnoses about the potty training and said no pull ups. We were told two accidents and he was out. I was grilled about his abilities as I just smiled and LIED through my teeth. We took him potty b4 we dropped him off then went every couple hours to "see if he was ready to go" and convinetely took him potty while we were there. Also he had little elastic pants on so that was easier for him. You could always leave his shirt untucked and just tell him to zip his pants up. My son did this once on his own. We went we back in October for his 3rd birthday and the person signing us up could care less about talking about potty training. Go figure

thomasmickeysmall.jpg

Thomas turns 3 on the Disney Cruise 10-21-03

My niece was "almost" potty trained on our trip in December. She was pretty good, but still had accidents especially when preoccupied.

My sister just sent an alarm on her watch for every 90 minutes and she stopped by the club and took her daughter potty.

No accidents, no problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter