• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

completely overwhelmed

Kerryn

Earning My Ears
Just booked our first disney vacation with the kids for october 23rd through the 27th. I know its shorter than we would prefer, but its all i could take the kids out of school for. We will be arriving in orlando at 9 am on the tuesday and our flight leaves 9:30 on the saturday. I am completely overwhelmed by the choices to make ADR. I have a dd who is 8 and a ds who is 5. DS is picky but loves breakfast foods so i thought booking alot of breakfast or brunch meals would be perfect. So far i have booked breakfast at cinderellas royal breakfast, Ohana's breakfast and chef mickeys. DS' one request is pizza planet. I would also like to do the character meal with handy manny. And a meal at sci fi. But i am just so overwhelmed. We have park hoppers and also the deluxe dining plan. We may not use all the sit down meals but i didnt want to have to worry if we were going over or not. Also everything i read said transportation runs about 90 minutes before or after a park opens/closes what about transportation to resorts. What if we want to do an early breakfast at another resort how does that work? Or late dinner? What are the other must have places to eat?

Buses start running early to the parks. Take one to the park and then back to the hotel you want to dine at.

Just booked our first disney vacation with the kids for october 23rd through the 27th. I know its shorter than we would prefer, but its all i could take the kids out of school for. We will be arriving in orlando at 9 am on the tuesday and our flight leaves 9:30 on the saturday. I am completely overwhelmed by the choices to make ADR. I have a dd who is 8 and a ds who is 5. DS is picky but loves breakfast foods so i thought booking alot of breakfast or brunch meals would be perfect. So far i have booked breakfast at cinderellas royal breakfast, Ohana's breakfast and chef mickeys. DS' one request is pizza planet. I would also like to do the character meal with handy manny. And a meal at sci fi. But i am just so overwhelmed. We have park hoppers and also the deluxe dining plan. We may not use all the sit down meals but i didnt want to have to worry if we were going over or not. Also everything i read said transportation runs about 90 minutes before or after a park opens/closes what about transportation to resorts. What if we want to do an early breakfast at another resort how does that work? Or late dinner? What are the other must have places to eat?

I suggest doing the Handy Manny breakfast and a late lunch or early dinner at Sci-Fi. You could always go to Pizza Planet before Sci-Fi to feed your son, but I wouldn't want to eat there (personally). I don't know if this makes you feel better, but we always have way more places that we'd like to eat than we can actually fit in our schedule. (I've been trying to squeeze Narcoosee's in for years, but it just never works out.) Plan your day based on the parks you wish to attend on those days, and just try to put the pieces of the puzzle together. If you want to share your specific reservation interests and days that you're planning to be in each park, your fellow Dis-boarders could probably help you out. :grouphug:

I agree about not dining at Pizza Planet. We usually take our girls to a character breakfast in the morning and then pop into Pizza Planet for drinks and games just so they can play in there.

Also, if you're on DxDP, I'd really work hard on using all of those TS credits since that's what you're paying for. I know you noted your DS is a picky eater, but I wouldn't shy away from the signatures. They will likely try to come up with something to ensure he eats. Mind you, my girls aren't picky, but most of the places made sure they liked what they were given to ensure they were leaving with full tummies. The buffets also offer tons of things, so even really picky eaters should find something on there to consume.

As for those early meals, the buses start running around 6:30a, so you should be fine. Just allow plenty of time. We do lots of early breakfasts, but we aren't hopping people. :lmao:

As for other places to try...there are just so many. My kids loved California Grill, 'Ohana dinner, Boma, 1900PF breakfast, WCC, Mama Melrose, the cold bar at Akershus, and ROse and Crown just to name a few. We'll be trying a few new places for them this upcoming trip. You should be able to review menus on Allears to see if there would be enough things at any given spot ot appeal to your kids. :goodvibes

Since you noted that your DS is picky, I would recommend going to a lot of buffet type meals as even the pickiest of eaters (such as myself) can always find something they like!

I would absolutely recommend the Crystal Palace at the MK - the Pooh characters are there and people of all ages love Pooh!

Another place to try would be Cape May Cafe. I've been to the (outstanding) clambake dinner, but they also have a character breakfast with Mickey.

I think you should try to hit at least one of the World Showcase restaurants. Rose & Crown is a good bet. They offer plain old fish and chips that picky eaters like. The Biergarten in Germany is a ton of fun and it is a little more adventurous, but it is a buffet and I'd be willing to bet that everyone will find something they will eat.

As other posters have noted, there are countless restaurants at Disney worth checking out.

I agree that it can be completely overwhelming. I went once as a kid but we stayed offsite and did no TS dining. DH and I have been 3 times together and while I would call our first trip a success (or maybe just plain luck), we've gotten really good at navigating "The World." I really feel like Disney is a place that you have to go more than once...it takes one time through just to get the hang of it!

Hi!

First trips are so exicting!! I agree with the previous posters. I would not do pizza planet for a meal, just pop in for a games. If its pizza that he wants as well, I would suggest Via Napoli in World Showcase in EPCOT. They have great pizzza and pasta. It's one the must do restaurants for my family!!

Either way have a great trip!! We will be there at the same time! October is a great time of year. Plus if son is picky, the adults can still use snack credits to try some more adventurous dining snacks at Food and Wine in Epcot!

:cool1:

Ask at guest services for buses to other resorts for early morning (before parks open) breakfast. We were on a bus once to Epcot for EMH and the bus took some people to the Cape May Cafe before dropping us off at Epcot.

Kerryn said:

First to comment on Pizza Planet just make sure your DS isn't expecting the Pizza Planet from the movie, it's just an ordinary arcade with crappy pizza. I would skip eating there and maybe just stop to play a few games. As far as cost if you know your not going to use all your TS credits I would drop down to the normal plan and spend the extra money on taking a taxi to Ohana for breakfast rather than to the transfers with the bus.

Congrats on your first trip. You will have a great time. My advice would be don't try to see everything. I read alot of the planning tips the first time and they were very helpful. The one thing that I used that was very helpful was I wrote down the must sees made sure we did those then filled in the rest.

Also we where in the parks early then took a break in the afternoon then went back in at night.

my kids were twins 3.5, 9,15 they loved chef Mickey's, Cape May Cafe, they also liked the Liberty tavern and they loved breakfast with pooh at Crystal palace.

I'm so sorry - I scanned and should have read all...
But this concerns me...

I WOULD NOT Recommend Park Hoppers !

Have a magical visit !

Hugs

Mary

I really believe you'll come home from this vacation and kick yourself for paying for the DDP.

My concerns here are;
The ages of your children even more so with a picky eater
and the amount of time you'll be at WDW

The kids will not care how many table service meals they're getting
and you're using up alot of park time ( to eat at those TS restaurants) when you're there less than a week.

I would give you this TIP;):

A breakfast character meal one morning

Another TS for dinner at whatever park you plan

possibly one other TS.

There are many counter service places where you'll be in and out in 30 minutes or less.

Your post is very concerning to me as well. You may be setting yourself up for a miserable time. I am not sure if you are vacationing to eat or see the parks?? Maybe you are trying to do it all?

You do not have very many days at Disney and to get the deluxe plan does not make sense. You will spend about 4 hours + eating at tables. :confused3
Also for us any ddp when my kids were that age would have cost us more money for what we spent outta pocket. Not sure about your kids eating habits but my kids were able to share CS meals at that age b/c of the amount they give you sometimes. I think you are gonna waste a lot of money on this and regret it. Some people eat in hotel room for breakfast and have a nice early lunch. There are grocery deliveries you can set up.

You should stick to one TS a day IMO. With limited days you should eat at the park you are at.

MK- maybe breakfast buffet before park opening at crystal palace and then lunch at royal table( breakfast gets a lot of poor reviews for what you pay)
IMO this park has really good CS

Hollywood- do CS at pizza planet and then dinner at sci-fi or vice versa

AK- for picky eaters, maybe hit the 4.00 corndogs this park does not have too many options to eat and they may not be to your kids liking

Epcot- well that is overwhelming! For breakfast buffet Askerhaus is good!

Park hopper does not make sense to me either. If you have never been 4 days is not give you time to understand the transportation and ease of using the park hopper. I can for see you wasting some time with this. Also, you may not hop since You will only have about one day per park which is already wearing yourself thin on time. I just went for a quick 4 day and did CS and did not see everything and I know the parks.

Hope that this was helpful to you.

Well, I think the Park Hoppers do make sense but for a first trip I would do no more than DDP, not DxDP. WDW is filled with wonderful places to eat but especially for a first trip with kids, your meals should be incidental to your park time.

I'd start with a rough plan of your park days. MK and HS are parks where you will likely want to spend a whole day but I think you would do better to have AK in the mornings and Epcot in the evenings.

I have NOT looked at park hours/crowd levels/EMH for these days, but as a rough idea I'd suggest MK on your arrival day. You'll miss rope drop and the best of early-morning touring but you can take it slow, get your bearings, and use FPs. Eat a CS lunch wherever is convenient when you are hungry and maybe a TS dinner at either 1900PF or Chef Mickeys, since both are an easy monorail to/from the park. Then back to MK for the evening parade and fireworks.

On Wednesday I'd try for rope drop at HS. Get a CS lunch again (Starring Rolls if sandwiches and cupcakes is more appealing, otherwise there are multiple CS locations on the road leading to ToT that act as a large open-air food court). If the kids are slowing down, after lunch go back to the resort for a quick dip in the pool and some down time in the room. It is very possible that you will ALL fall asleep. Have a TS dinner either in HS or one of the Epcot-area resorts (if seafood is especially appealing, try the Cape May buffet dinner with all-you-can-eat crab legs). Then go back to HS for F!

On Thursday I'd do rope drop at AK and have a CS lunch there. If it's hot and you're getting tired, back to the resort after lunch for down time again. But if you take AK slowly, which is that it was designed for, you may be good to keep going. Then hop over to Epcot in the middle to late afternoon. Schedule a TS dinner someplace in the World Showcase. Biergarten is a good buffet that appeals to picky eaters. Enjoy Illuminations.

Friday would be your final day; definitely get to the MK before rope drop that morning. MK is the only place with a real 'show' for rope drop any more. I'd make a beeline for Fantasyland and start doing the headliners - the things you looked at on arrival day and skipped because they were an hour+ wait time. You probably should take a mid-afternoon break today; back to the resort for a little more pool time and a nap. Dinner in MK, probably Crystal Palace, then stay until park close since you go home the next morning.

Breakfasts each day would be munchies in your room (granola bars and pop tarts travel really well), supplemented by things from the grab-n-go at your resort. I really think this kind of plan would let you maximize your total Disney experience. You can pick a couple of fun, iconic meals but not lose sight of the real purpose of the trip, which is the parks themselves.

Hi! :) We went to WDW last year and had the DDP. I would highly recommend combining some of your TS credits for signature meals. Many of the TS meals at WDW are not just a meal, but an experience. The meals take longer than an average meal out. If you book 3 TS meals per day, you will spend your entire day eating! If you use just several TS credits and the rest QS, you'll waste the money you paid for the DDP. Here are some of my favorite 2 TS meals:
1. Mickey's Backyard BBQ
2. Le Cellier (dinner)
3. Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show
4. Jiko
5. Artist Point
6. Cali Grill (you can watch the MK fireworks from your table!)

Our 6yr old enjoyed all of these restaurants...especially the BBQ, and the cool dessert at Artist Point.

Happy Planning! :)

Hi! :) We went to WDW last year and had the DDP. I would highly recommend combining some of your TS credits for signature meals. Many of the TS meals at WDW are not just a meal, but an experience. The meals take longer than an average meal out. If you book 3 TS meals per day, you will spend your entire day eating! If you use just several TS credits and the rest QS, you'll waste the money you paid for the DDP. Here are some of my favorite 2 TS meals:
1. Mickey's Backyard BBQ
2. Le Cellier (dinner)
3. Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show
4. Jiko
5. Artist Point
6. Cali Grill (you can watch the MK fireworks from your table!)

Our 6yr old enjoyed all of these restaurants...especially the BBQ, and the cool dessert at Artist Point.

Happy Planning! :)

Oops! I meant to say that we had the Deluxe Dining Plan.

id do HOOP DEE DO instead of mickeys backyard bbq to be honest. But definitly try to do a few signatures. Although id serously think about dropping down to the reg DP and ditching the delux plan since it is your first trip.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

I disagree that she cannot master the buses in 4 days... our last trip was that long and we did just fine!

OP - I think if you are on DxDP and your plan incorporates too much hopping, you will find it a bit stressful to do all that in a short span.

Keep in mind that transportation between resorts isn't direct.. you'll need to travel to a park and then to the resort you are eating at.

First, I would consider how much time you want to spend eating (each TS can last anywhere from one to two hours including waiting to be seated, etc.). Then I would list which restaurants I want to eat at that are in the vicinity of the park I am in that day. Then figure out your credits - do you really need DxDP?

Our must eat restaurants so far are Kona Cafe (breakfast) and Flying Fish. You might want to consider Akershus for a meal (we prefer breakfast) if your DD likes the princesses. This is a must do for our DD!

GL with your planning!! :goodvibes

We love Cinderella's Royal Table at MK and we're two adults--37 and 38.

If you want to keep the DxDP, then definitely pick your restaurants based on which park you'll be in that day. I would still keep the park hoppers in case your kiddos really want to go back to a different park.

If you schedule breakfast at another resort and it's before the parks open, you can try getting a taxi. Including tip, it shouldn't cost you more than about $20 and the front desk/baggage guys at your resort should be able to help you get one. It also means that you could have a few more minutes for sleeping time.

Not to add fuel to the fire...

But you might be limited in what you'll be able to secure as ADRs since you are only 110+ days out. I booked our ADRs at the 180+10 mark, and we are also visiting in October. I've looked at tweaking our times a bit recently, and for certain restaurants (Chef Mickey's, 'Ohana, Crystal Palace, Le Cellier, etc.), there are no times available for the entire day.

Just sayin'...

I'd recommend 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian if you want another character meal. Breakfast is Alice/Mad Hatter/etc and dinner is Cinderella/Evil Step-sisters/etc. It's buffet... but really quite delicious buffet items... so you'll be happy as well as the kids.
In Epcot I'd try Le Cellier. It's a signature restaurant (helps you make good use of your deluxe meal plan) and the food (being Canadian) would be familiar... yet a bit more "upscale". And the restaurant is certainly not "fancy". Check it out.
Also, have you considered Liberty Tree Tavern (my daughter's favorite for lunch) and The Plaza (fabulous sundaes) in the Magic Kingdom?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter