*Completed* The french fry Saga or How I learned to love the ice cream bombe

I'm so glad to read such a positive review of Coral Reef! :) (I'll eat lunch there in August). Thanks for your wonderfully descriptive reviews!

I'm seeing many more positive Coral Reef reviews these days. Almost makes me wish it was on our list. I made our ADR's and I've convinced myself to stick with them and not change. But Coral Reef may be something to really consider for the future.

Great review of Coral Reef - it seems to me that this restaurant has come full circle. Used to be great, then got some really poor reviews for a while but everything I am reading lately seems so positive. I am hoping it stays so as I plan to eat there next April now.

Lunch at Cosmic Ray's

I have always meant to eat here but usually we are on the other side of the park and grab burgers from Pecos Bill’s.

This trip we had a late breakfast ADR for the Crystal Palace. We ate there the last trip and loved it so I booked it again. However, this was an EMH morning at the MK just after Memorial Day and the park was packed! We ended up in the line for the new Monsters Inc Laugh Floor at 9:50 am and our reservation was for 10:20 am. I gave my parents our choice – A. After Monsters Inc was done we could rush over to the Crystal Palace or B. We could do a couple more rides, skip breakfast and have a counter service lunch consisting of chicken and ribs. Well, no one was really in the mood for a buffet (it’s funny; I don’t even think it was the heat – it was more the crowd. The idea of going into a crowded noisy restaurant just didn’t appeal to us. If it had been a more upscale place or less busy, we might have kept it) and we decided to wait for an early lunch.

And I know I am about to be flamed by the DIS board police but I did not cancel the ADR. I don’t carry a cell phone and by the time we were off the ride and got to a phone, it was past our ADR time. Sorry to whoever missed out on an ADR for 3 on Tuesday May 29th at CP – I send you my deepest condolences and (if you can prove it) I will buy you a Mickey ice cream bar next time we are both in the world together.

Anyways, I am so glad that we decided to go to Cosmic Rays.

1. I have not seen Sonny Eclipse since I was much younger. He is so cute and I have never seen so many children so mesmerised by something other than a television set.

2. The food is awesome. It is as good as some of the table service places (I would put this meal up against 50’s Primetime’s fried chicken dinner any day).

77252COSMIC.jpg

The chicken was moist and very good rotisserie (and up here in Canada we have Swiss Chalet – the king of all rotisserie chicken) and the mashed potatoes did not taste like instant. The carrots were fresh cooked and buttered.

We shared two meals between the three of us. On one of the meals the ribs were very meaty and tender; on the other the ribs were thin and didn’t have much meat. I guess with that part it is very hit or miss. But the bbq sauce was plentiful so I am sure it covers a multitude of sins on the ribs.

I can’t say enough good things about this food. It is not typical counter service. If I was not on the dining plan my first choice for dinner in the MK would be a half chicken dinner at Cosmic Rays. For this trip, Cosmic Rays was to counter service what the Coral Reef was to Table Service.

For dessert we got one chocolate cake and one carrot cake. We were so full (and we are big eaters!) from the entrees that we didn’t even touch these. They went into our bag and returned to the hotel with us where they spent a day or two in the fridge before being consumed. They have enough preservatives in them that two days later they still seemed fresh. I try not to think about food additives and chemicals while on vacation, but the “freshness” of these did make me think twice about consuming any more of them.

For drinks we were allowed the large one (2 diet cokes) with no issues.

The restaurant itself wasn’t overly busy and we had no issues finding a clean table right up front near Sonny himself.

Golden Rule #14 – Always eat at counter service restaurants early or come prepared with ear plugs, sanitizing wipes and aspirin.

This is just fantastic and making me excited and hungry for my November trip!

Thanks for sharing!

I love all your reviews, and the pics. One thing I would not put up with though, is someone handing a chair over my head. There is just no telling what might fall off the bottom into my hair, or food. YUCK! I probably would have stood up and gotten hit rather than that! Course, if I had gotten hit, it would have been a free meal.

I tried to make it all the way through this thread, I really did. But I just didn't make it -- I got as far as the CR desserts when I had to get some ice cream - you made me HUNGRY!!! :goodvibes

A cheeseburger from the CR Food and Fun Center

We returned in the afternoon to the hotel (the Contemporary – which is definitely in my top 3 disney resorts) for a rest and some relaxation. After spending a couple of hours in the arcade (I am addicted to any game which spits out paper tickets for completing some minor “skilled” task), I was a little hungry as was my mother. My dad had already eaten the leftover steak from the Coral Reef so he was fine. My Dad went down for a swim with the direction that when he returned, he should return with food. Knowing that we can’t trust him to choose something suitable, I picked the only thing I *knew* was on the Food and Fun Center menu – a double cheeseburger with fries. I also reminded him that since he was using a DDP credit, he also needed to get a drink and a dessert. We had bought the refillable mugs already (I was so happy that they still had the Contemporary specific ones at that time) so it should be a bottled drink.

After his swim he brought up the double cheeseburger with fries, some fresh toppings from the topping bar, a fruit bowl and a diet lemonade (sorry no pics – we were hungry).

The topping bar included fresh sliced tomatoes, pickles, lettuce, onion, ketchup, honey mustard, barbeque sauce, and mayonnaise, so it was fairly complete. The burger and fries were typical for Disney – hot, fresh, (salty) and good.

They had limited drinks in bottles – basically the lemonade, orange juice and water (and alcoholic beverages which of course are not included on the dining plan).

I don’t like the fruit bowls at Disney any more. They treat the fruit with a preservative to make it last and I think it gives it a “funny” taste. At the time, I didn’t much care but once I saw for myself the selection of desserts available at the Food and Fun Center, I was disappointed at his choice (and for a man who loves cakes and pies, I was very surprised that he got fruit for us and not something a little richer).

I am sad for anyone staying at the CR as this place is closing and as you will see in later reviews, it was actually pretty darn good for a counter service restaurant and it contained a lot more selection than most online resources listed.

Dinner at Tony's Town Square
This is actually the 3rd time I’ve had an ADR at this restaurant but the first time we’ve ever used it (and before you ask – yes, I did cancel the ones on previous trips that went unused).

We checked in about 20 mins early (we had planned on riding Pirates but there was a 40 min line so we opted to head to the restaurant directly instead) and were seated about 15 minutes after our ADR time. We were able to eventually find seats on a credenza by the television so it made the wait comfortable in the cool air conditioning. The waiting area was pretty full and the restaurant was not taking any walk ups (my dad had gone up to check us in but wasn’t sure if he was in the right place so he asked the CM “Is this Tony’s restaurant?” and the CM answered, “We do not have any availability tonight sir.” My dad freaked a little, and said something to the effect of “But we have reservations!” and the CM smiled and said “Well that changes everything”, and took our name, etc. The CM told my dad that he had just had about 20 people come up looking to eat here so he just assumed that we didn’t have reservations).

We were seated at a nice round table which was half booth with 2 chairs. This was very convenient since my mother has claustrophobia and does not like being enclosed in a booth. Plus, both she and I are Plus-sized and one concern of mine was “fitting” into a booth (since I have heard that they can be on the small size).

Our server appeared right away for our drink order which was brought promptly along with bread and a tomato dipping sauce instead of butter.

77252TONY_1.jpg

This was very good. My dad is a butter person but even he enjoyed it. I can’t recall everything that was in it but I can recall: tomato – basil – pine nuts. The bread was soft with a solid crust (which I like but my parents mostly ate the inside of the bread). We were all pretty hungry and this was enough to stave off the pains until the appetizers arrived.

My dad and I ordered the Spinach and Artichoke Dip - three cheese blend, tomatoes, and served with grilled bread $7.69.

77252TONY_3.jpg

This was good but more “artichokie” and less “spinachee”. My dad wasn’t thrilled with this as I think he was expecting a cheesy spinach dip and the artichoke flavour was quite strong. There was a thick layer of cheese on top of the dip which he really enjoyed though.

My mom ordered the soup of the day which was butternut squash. I tasted this and so wished I had gotten it. This was among the best soups I have ever tasted. It was thick, a little sweet but the squash flavour came bursting through. The flavouring was close to sweet potato pie but thankfully didn’t have the roasted marshmallows on top. I strongly urge anyone who likes thick, creamy soup – if this is the soup of the day when you are eating at Tony’s, try this, it is excellent.

77252TONY_2.jpg

For entrees we all went a different way.

My mom ordered the Beef and Spinach Cannelloni - served with basil cream sauce $19.49. I myself was hesitant to order these but they were very tasty (even cold late one night when I had the munchies). The cannelloni pasta was firm (cooked al dente) so it didn’t fall apart – and they were simply filled with the beef, spinach and cheese mixture. They had more cheese melted on top and were covered with the basil cream sauce (this was a light green colour – and while not very appetizing looking, it was a mild tasting cream sauce that didn’t overpower the other flavours, but really added a good texture to the dish.

77252TONY_5.jpg

I ordered the Chicken Florentine which came with mashed potatoes and asparagus. I ate only a couple of bites of the chicken but most of the potatoes and all of the asparagus. I was getting quite full by this time. I did however pack up the chicken breast which my dad ate late one night (while I ate my mom’s leftovers). He said it wasn’t very good because it was pounded very thin and the breading was thin and crispy. I was okay with this meal but when I return (and I am sure at some point I will) I will probably choose something different.

77252TONY_6.jpg

My dad ordered the NY Strip Steak with roasted potatoes, mushrooms, caramelized onions, and spinach tossed in a warm pancetta vinaigrette, topped with red wine gorgonzola butter $25.49. He was a little leery about all of the “stuff” that came with the steak but he cleaned the plate. This steak looked (and tasted) incredible. Again it was cooked exactly to order and was tender and perfectly flavoured. The only thing which stopped my dad from licking the plate was that he was trying to save room for dessert.

77252TONY_4.jpg

For dessert we again went our different ways.
My dad ordered the Tiramisu - espresso soaked lady fingers, whipped mascarpone and dark chocolate shavings $5.69. This was very creamy and light – but it was a huge serving.

77252TONY_8.jpg

My mom ordered the Lemon Walnut Layer Cake - layered vanilla cake filled with lemon curd $5.69. Again this was a huge piece of cake. My mom took at least half of it back to the hotel and enjoyed it later.

77252TONY_7.jpg

I order the Ice Cream Bomb - chocolate and vanilla ice cream covered in rich chocolate sauce $5.69. When this first came it was frozen solid – I am talking hard as a rock. My spoon could barely break the chocolate coating and scooping up ice cream was just out of the question. I had a bite of my mom’s dessert and a bite of my dad’s and had resigned myself to not having my own. However, as the bill came I looked down and the ice cream had started to melt. I broke open the chocolate coating and inside was the two kinds of ice cream atop a cookie. It was tasty but come on, it was just ice cream.

77252TONY_9.jpg

Tiramisu the way it should be...in a HUGE serving!!

Your Dad's steak made my mouth water and to follow with my favorite dessert! YUM!!

I'm confused - I thought you learned to love the ice-cream bombe :confused3 I can't wait to find out if you really did learn to love it - it looks pretty nice to me ;)

Before we left, I didn’t hold out much hope for eating counter service at the food and fun center at our hotel. The online menus didn’t look too appealing and it seemed to only offer heavy “junk” food like burgers and hot dogs. That is so not true.

My dad went to Typhoon Lagoon today (to swim with the fishes) and my mom and I slept in. Around 11:30, we decided we were hungry enough to venture out of the room in search of food.

We went down to the food and fun center. We decided to share the chicken bacon ranch melt with French fries and a piece of cheesecake for dessert. We also used a snack credit for a cup of chicken and corn chowder which was the soup of the day.

The chicken bacon ranch melt was an all white chicken breast which was grilled served with Swiss cheese and bacon. I didn’t notice the “ranch” part but it might just have been my taste buds concentrating on the flame grilled, tender, moist chicken. The only thing that would have made this better is if it was served on something other than a white bread hamburger bun (like a multi grain or rye bun). The fries seemed fresh cooked and very lightly salted (I think that’s a first for Disney). They are the shoestring kind.

The soup was outstanding. It was very chunky and flavourful. It had lots of chicken and potatoes and numerous bits of corn, carrot, celery and onion. If I had to guess, it was homemade – not frozen or pre-packaged in any way.

The cheesecake was typical – served with strawberry sauce in a little container on the side. I think they serve this same cheesecake at most of the resort counter service places because I would swear that it is exactly the same as the cheesecake I had at the Mara at AKL last May. Anyway, it was good but not really memorable.

I am going to skip over dinner for a minute and go onto lunch the next day since it was at the food and fun center as well.

This day we split up – my dad went to AK, I went to MK and my mom stayed at the hotel. I think we just needed a break from each other and this was perfect. I have to admit, things were very stressful at work prior to leaving and I needed a little “me” time to unwind and just do what I wanted. When I returned to the hotel, my mom and I again shared a lunch (I have pictures of this one).

We went to the refrigerator case and picked out a Cobb salad and a piece of key lime pie.

77252FF_1.jpg

They had several different wonderful looking salads in the case. My mom loves blue cheese and I like it so we went for the Cobb Salad. This plastic box was jammed full of fresh goodness. It consisted of several kinds of lettuce on the bottom and then the ingredients you can see on top. There was easily enough to fill 2 people for a lunch entrée or 1 person for a complete filling dinner. It was good and it was fresh and it did not involve French fries.

My mom was so full from the salad (as she ended up eating almost all of the blue cheese) that she skipped dessert but I really wanted that pie.

77252FF_2.jpg

It was quite good – sweet and tart and very creamy. I don’t like meringue so it was a pleasant surprise to find that it was actually whipped cream on top. Was it real key lime pie? No. But, it was one of the best fake ones I’ve ever had.

Next up - Dinner at Planet Hollywood

Great Reviews!!! I really loved your Coral Reef review...now I can't wait to eat there in September.

We love Cosmic Ray's!! The chicken is really yummy!!

Kimba

Sorry for the long delay –

Dinner at Planet Hollywood – DTD

I know this restaurant gets knocked around quite a bit but we have always had really good experiences here – service and food. Maybe we’re just easy to please?

We had an ADR for 1pm in the afternoon – except my Dad went o to the water park this day (great weather!) so I cancelled it and we took our chances walking in around 4:30 – 5:00 (sorry, I don’t wear a watch – ever. At work, I have the time on my computer, the time on both phones on my desk, a clock on the wall and 100 coworkers I can ask for the time – when I am on vacation I depend on the kindness of strangers – or CM’s – for the time).

We were seated promptly with no wait.

Our server was young woman who was very attentive. We had multiple drink refills (and we were very thirsty from shopping), I swear the glasses were never allowed to get empty before another was placed before us. She was able to answer every question about the menu and allowed any substitution we asked for. She made recommendations and suggestions based on her opinions and feedback from other customers.

One of the reasons we like this restaurant is the appetizers.

My mom got her favourite – Tostadas. These are large nacho chips with bbq chicken and cheese with a tomato salsa and sour cream on the side.

77252PH_11.jpg

My dad got his favourite – Capt Crunch chicken fingers. The first time we had these I was very sceptical – chicken coated with sugar? But they are good – plump, juicy all white meat thickly coated with a crispy, slightly sweet coating. Exceptional.

77252PH_21.jpg

I tried a new appetizer - Zucchini chips. I like fried zucchini so I thought – why not? These were a tasty treat. They were thin slices of zucchini, lightly breaded and deep fried served with a lemon mayo. Because they were thinly sliced, they were crispy without being mushy in the centre like some zucchini sticks. There was a huge pile of these – we all had our fill and there was still some left over. Definitely a must have again.

77252PH_31.jpg

For entrees we weren’t too adventurous. Both of my parents ordered steaks – my dad had French fries and green beans and my mom ordered double green beans (she was just a little sick of fries by this point). The steaks were good as always, not fatty or gristle – cooked right to order.

77252PH_5.jpg

77252PH_4.jpg

I had the Beef Fajitas. I had meant to order the chicken ones but for I guess I was so used to ordering steak that when the server asked me “beef or chicken”, beef just slipped out. There was enough beef, onions and peppers – lots of cheese, tomatoes and lettuce. I would have preferred more sour cream but I love sour cream on Mexican stuff so I probably should have requested extra when ordering. The tortillas were soft and there were more than I could eat. The side was Mexican rice – it was kind of bland, but I like to add rice into my fajitas so it didn’t matter much but if you wanted to eat your side as a side, my recommendation would be to order something other than the Mexican rice. The beef was very tender and cooked well done.

77252PH_6.jpg

As we were finishing up our entrees, our fabulous server came by and let us know that this was the end of her shift and introduced us to the server who would be taking over for her. I already had the extra tip in my lanyard so I slipped it to her before she left ($10). I am assuming that she told him this because after she left we received only minimal service from our new server. Thankfully, we only had dessert left.

For dessert my Dad ordered the banana split:
77252PH_8.jpg

My mom ordered the strawberry cheesecake - so creamy:
77252PH_7.jpg

I ordered the chocolate cake with ice cream:
77252PH_9.jpg

My dessert had obviously been sitting prepared for a few minutes since you can see that the ice cream had melted quite a bit.

My mom and dad’s were good but I found the chocolate cake too dry and the ice cream was too meltly. I know from now on to stick with either the cheesecake (which I’ve had before) or the Brownie sundae (awesome!).

Since the service went so far down hill, I didn’t see any point in providing the new server with an additional tip (even though I had another $5 bill ready because I know that in non-Disney restaurants they are only tipped on the reimbursement from the ddp not the bill amount) since it took a while for our dinner plates to be cleared and to take our dessert orders, and for dessert to be brought (and cleared) and then a further delay for the bill.

However, our first server was so phenomenal that we will still return here on future trips because we really enjoy the food, service and atmosphere.

Snacks at the Magic Kingdom

This morning I was on my own in the MK so I didn’t really eat. I had ½ a fruit bowl in the room before leaving (I am so not a first thing in the morning breakfast eater). My 10 am I was hungry – by 10:30 am I was starving.

I was in Tomorrow land and (being lazy) didn’t want to go back to Main Street to get something from the bakery but the Lunching Pad had opened so I grabbed a cream cheese pretzel using a snack credit – I love cheese in any form – creamed with sugar and all meltly in the middle of a pretzel though is near the top of the list.
77252SN_1.jpg

I told you I was starving (hence the piece missing).

Before I left the MK around noon, I grabbed a cappuccino smoothie from Auntie Gravities. Cold (duh) and good flavour (not too strong) – sweet but not overly so. I really enjoyed this - I only wish it came with a lid.

77252SN_2.jpg

Quick question about the chicken tenders...it appears they are served with shredded carrots...is this correct???

Thanks,
Kimba

Quick question about the chicken tenders...it appears they are served with shredded carrots...is this correct???

Thanks,
Kimba

I'm curious about this as well. My initial thought when I saw the pic was 'why on earth would they spoil perfectly good chicken tenders with shredded carrots?' :scared:

Thanks for posting all the great reviews and pictures. I was particularly waiting to read your review on Planet Hollywood as we are eating there for the first time in about 3 weeks. I am looking forward to the appetizers as well. Thanks so much for posting!!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter